Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
After FW update to 1.6
1377 12 2016-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stumac68
New

United Kingdom

I've had my Inspire 1 for 6 months now so pretty used to it and the procedure behind updates.
A few days ago I did 2 updates in a controlled fashion. First. 1.5. Then 1.6
The log indicated success on all the updates (have 4 batteries so multiple updates done)

Upon starting up the Inspire 1 for the first time, I started getting a Gimbal error, saying it had reached the end of it's rotation.
I also got IMU errors. So I recalibrated the sensors, even though it said the IMU was ok. I also reseated the gimbal and eventually the error went away.

So I felt everything was ok.
Took it out for a test flight, low altitude over flat ground.
First 2 batteries (both at 100% charge), got low voltage errors and Inspire 1 landed itself.
NOTE: which is why you test fly after any update at very low altitudes. This was 10ft up max!

Lost confidence at this point and returned home to double check everything.
All seemed ok.

So today went back out for another test flight.
Flight went ok but noticed that repeatedly the battery voltage indictor on the DJI Go app went into the yellow, especially under load, such as a decent acceleration. And a couple of times it went momentarily into the red. No forced landing was issued so cautiously went on. Landed on 50% charge and tried another battery. Same thing. Then 3rd battery. Same thing.
Now, it may be that this is the first time I've really monitored the voltage levels as I'm test flying my Inspire 1 specifically looking for problems. And it may be normal for it to dip into yellow on a regular basis. When I opened up the battery part of the app itself, the cells dipping into yellow were random, sometimes 1, sometimes 3-4.
But as I said earlier, I've flown enough times now and obviously looking at the DJI GO app a lot to monitor the camera, I can't remember seeing the battery voltage indicator go into yellow.
Batteries have been calibrated recently in early December.
Temperature was cool, about 7C indicated, with a slight sea breeze so would say wind chill would be down to 3-4C so nothing extreme but getting close to the 0C limit.
So is it just the degradation in battery performance due to the cold temperatures which is causing this?
Previous to this, we've had a mild winter so flights have been done in minimums of 10C so my hope is it is this and not an error introduced by the FW update.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

2016-1-11
Use props
gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

The voltage indicator will change color based on... voltage. I do not know when it turns yellow and red, but 3.2v is where you dont want to be. In colder weather you will see it go yellow more frequently. Also, update 1.6 is specifically about flying in cold weather. it will limit the output of the motors to keep from damaging your batteries / dipping into 3.2v and below.
Before you got the low voltage error, did you let the inspire hover long enough to let the battery warm up, or did you just take off and go? Also, were you being aggressive on the stick? Its very possible that the battery was cold and was not able to give enough power to the inspire, which then leaded to it auto landing.
Im not so sure I would worry about the one battery, may be fine.. but would pay attention to the temps. So right before you take off, look at the temp of the battery in the batt page.. take off and hover a few feet off the ground for about a min and see what you batt temp is (there is actually a flight timer on the same page). Yes, you have lost some flight time, but your battery should be at a better operating temp.
If you know all this.... good. if not... even better.
2016-1-11
Use props
PCTInspire
lvl.4

Spain

I'd go with the advice within the post of Gybo102, if you haven't already its worth the purchase of a battery heater or just stick it down your pants as Paul Kerry does, either option seems to work for me!
2016-1-11
Use props
stumac68
New

United Kingdom

Thanks to both of you for the advice.
I generally hover for a few minutes after take off to check control responses, camera operation, etc.
But I should definitely be checking the more technical data, especially in cold weather.
I had the batteries in the case in the car and swapped them out. But the car wasn't running so could easily have got cold, all be it less cold as out of the wind chill.
As I progress on this "Inspired" journey, towards commercial licensing, it becomes less about the flying and more about the running of the drone in terms of becoming a truly safe operator.

One thing I forgot to mention is that after I'd touched down today on one of my flights, I noticed the front right light under the motor was yellow. Not noticed that before. No error messages came up on the DJI GO app so a bit non plussed. Googling it came up with references to errors but these were in conjunction with an ESC message on the app.

Have you come across anything like this before?

Thanks again to both of you.
2016-1-11
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.3

Canada

Dont worry the battery wont shut off before 2.99V
2016-1-11
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.3

Canada

Forgot to mention i fly in -20/-30c weather and my i1 is A1 just get a 20$ dji warmer it takes 10/15min to warm up and only use 3% of the battery so when you are up flying keep a spare battery in the warmer.
2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Can you get us some screenshots of the app when it's happening please
2016-1-11
Use props
stumac68
New

United Kingdom

Thanks Westwood. Good advice.
Thanks Tim, I'll try and get some screenshots next time it happens. It didn't happen last year that I was aware of and it's only the last few days we've had a cold snap in the south of the uk so I'm assuming that it's realted to that  (or the 1.5 or 1.6 update).
I was more worried about the yellow light appearing below one of the motors but again will check for this next flight out and try and get some more information around the circumstances which trigger it.
2016-1-12
Use props
PCTInspire
lvl.4

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-12 17:00
Just to confirm, for readers, Phil's not joking.

I do tuck the "next" battery into the waistband  ...

More than happy to act as your agent (10% referral fee) on all matters batteries....
2016-1-12
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Have the same issue with some batteries voltage gets red or yellow from time to time at full throttle. BUT I had this already in October and I did not experience any difference with fw 1.5.030 (batteries are 1.6 now but I put plane back to 1.5.030).
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-15 02:49
Have the same issue with some batteries voltage gets red or yellow from time to time at full throttl ...

The cold battery management of the firmware updates will keep you from damaging the batteries or aircraft. I'm on 1.6 on the Inspire and P3 Pro and everything working fine (in semi sunny California)and keeping batteries in you jacket pocket, pants pocket or wharever else is good in cold weather operations.
2016-1-14
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 20:22
The cold battery management of the firmware updates will keep you from damaging the batteries or ai ...

I already asked this in another thread but got no answer: I updated ALL batteries with 1.6.040 but then set the plane back to 1.5.030. Will the cold battery management work now or not - as the batteries have been updated?

I went back to 1.5.030 because DJI said it repaired wind compensation in 1.5.030 but broke it again in 1.6.040. However my first test with 1.5.030 cannot confirm this. The plane flies more unstable then before especially with 70% brake gain it has a much longer brake then with firmware before.

So I am concerned of 2 things with 1.6.040
1. the geofence (some reported problems with 1.6)
2. broken wind compensation

As I cannot use 1.7 because of geofence nonsense (DJI geofence for Switzerland, Austria,.... is false and has little to do with real nofly zones)  I will have to decide for 1.5.030 or 1.6.040.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-1-15 05:37
I already asked this in another thread but got no answer: I updated ALL batteries with 1.6.040 but  ...

GEO Fence is in 2.4.4 Beta on Android
1.6 firmware will work just fine for your aircraft. I don't know what you mean wind compensation was broke in 1.6?
If you do decide to try out the GEO Bata, you can always downgrade to 1.5 or 1.6 later. Also need to delete the app from your Android device and install 2.5 form the Play store.
2016-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules