Don't Update to DJI Go 2.5.0 (Geofencing Locks Installed).
3333 11 2016-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyboyNC
lvl.2

United States

Although there is no mention in the "What's New" section with this DJI Go 2.5.0 update about Geofencing, if you complete this update, you will be locked down to the ground if you have anything from a grass strip to JFK airport within 5 miles from you. I know most will say, "but that's the law." I agree with when it comes to a commercial type airport but for me, I have a grass strip runway near my home that has not been used for nearly 4 years. In fact, it's not even kept up anymore. I checked the FAA B4UFLY app they still has it active. If I do this update, I will not be able to fly from my home again. I understand Geofencing around commercial airline airports. That makes sense. But all these rural grass strips and tiny airports are ridiculous. If we are below 400 feet and strike and airplane it should be the pilot of the airplane's fault, not mine. Why is this not being pushed more? I am also a pilot. I know and understand downwind, base and final approaches. I understand airspace restrictions when it comes to Class B, C and D airports. These are airports with control towers and ILS runways. There should be Geofencing around these airports. But tiny, rural airports that may have two planes land there in a month...? Makes no sense to me. Traffic patterns at these airports are 800 AGL which is well above the 400 ft ceiling drone pilots must comply with.

My question is....if you use other app to control your P3 like AutoPilot or Litchi, do they bypass this Geofencing that has come out with this new DJI 2.5 release? I have seriously been considering switching to the iOS Autopilot app the more I learn about it. So many more useful features than the current DJI Go app.

Great thread on this issue with possible solutions.http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... unctionality.64189/

2016-1-11
Use props
bwaler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3314541 ft
United States

Can confirm issue. Reverted back to iOS app version 2.4.3 and still cannot use drone at home once I powered on using 2.5.0. Tried doing the unlock airspace step with no luck.

There appears to be no way to bypass it currently even if you have contacted the airport as I have and received permission to fly.
2016-1-11
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-11
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I understand the need for Geo-Fencing.  I am right on the edge of a Airport No Fly Zone.  The part I dont appreciate is when they do not disclose in the "Whats New " Information.  This  seems kind of sneaky to me.  At least be up front about these type of things.. I think they would gain more credibility if they laid all of the cards on the table.    It makes me  nervous to do future updates knowing that they are going to do these type of maneuvers.  And This is coming from a guy who is a "Team Player"

Cheers Donnie
2016-1-12
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I spent a good 45 minutes last night watching You Tube videos of drone crashes and now I know why they are trying to implement Gefencing on drones. I would say that 98% of the crashes I saw were morons that either do not know how to fly or just don't care where and how they fly. As many of you are, I am a veteran RC flyer for 30+ years and have flown "AT" small airports(with permission of course) while it was active and as long as rules are followed, never had any kind of problem. It's the morons out there that is making this a problem and of course, we are the ones that pay for it. If this continues that way it's going I foresee many good deals on Ebay of DJI drones.
2016-1-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-1-12 10:05
I understand the need for Geo-Fencing.  I am right on the edge of a Airport No Fly Zone.  The part I ...

That's the problem I have too. It was the major feature of the 2.5 update. Not the stupid "epic" love template. It was deceptive to not say anything about this in the releases notes whether you agree with it or not.

Further, they are all over the place with the map data. Their own flysafe map does not match up with what is in the app which also does not match up with the FAA's B4UFLY app map. It's a giant cluster f* that should not have been released at this point in time.
2016-1-12
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

thumb Posted at 2016-1-12 16:18
I spent a good 45 minutes last night watching You Tube videos of drone crashes and now I know why th ...

Well said, I totally agree with you.
2016-1-12
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This issue is resolved, follow the below steps if you were caught by a NFZ with 2.5

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-12
Use props
Mangler
New

United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-1-12 10:39
This issue is resolved, follow the below steps if you were caught by a NFZ with 2.5

1. Please conne ...

With advanced software like these run mistakes do happen from time to time, i'm just glad they fixed it quick! as my new P3S should arrive today!
2016-1-12
Use props
stephengreenwal
lvl.1

United States

I think you are mistaken.  I am 4 miles away from a USAF control tower. Version 2.5.0 does not prevent me from flying. Why would DJI even do that when all that is required to be legal is to contact the control tower? Before writing such messages, you might want to confirm your facts.
2016-1-17
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Downgrade to firmware 1.6 and problem solved.
2016-2-20
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

It is so funny when I mentioned this months ago that they would sneak mandatory updates in to the firmware and people laughed. I have heard reports on the other forums that using Litichi will allow you to totally bypass this bs geofencing crap.
2016-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules