P3S - Unable to read SD card
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JKD
New

United Kingdom

Hello!

I have a brand new P3S, not even started up the motors yet!

Yesterday, despite the miserable weather here in the UK, I decided to get her set up and ready for a flight.

What I did;

• Charged up the batteries.
  • Made a DJI account.
  • Switched on the RC, the quad and booted up the app.
  • Followed app instructions and activated quad with serial number.
  • Downloaded latest firmware update 'P3 Standard 1.3.50' through the app.
  • Started firmware update process.
  • There was a lot of constant beeping from the quad and no movement on the update for a significant amount of time.
  • I gave up on the update, and powered everything down.
  • Now my quad can't read an SD card (even the original one that started the firmware update).
  • The gimbal seems to lose power and suddenly goes limp after the boot up dance has completed.

What I have tried to fix it;

• 3 different SD cards, one of which is brand new and went straight into the quad (image of these cards below).
  • Formatting the SD cards with this tool - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
  • Formatting the cards in app (image of error below).
  • TRAWLED the forums for potential solutions, most of which seemed to point to bad SD.

How can I fix this? :-(

UPDATE: I found the micro usb port on the upper part of the gimbal so plugged it into my PC. The contents of the freshly formatted original 8GB SD card poppup up as removable storage (it kept disconnecting and reconnecting which seemed odd). In the contents I found the error logs, which read;

[00003420][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000855][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).

Screenshot_20160111-193628.jpg Screenshot_20160111-193627.jpg Screenshot_20160111-193601.jpg

2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Sorry about that . Please contact your dealer or support center about this .
Europe.jpg
2016-1-11
Use props
JKD
New

United Kingdom

Thanks Patrick. I have contacted the UK support center that you posted. They advised me that I would have to pay labour expenses for any repairs. This leads me to think that I'd be better to send back to my dealer for a replacement? I don't even know if my unit is actually faulty yet, is there any way for me to fix this with some new firmware files etc?
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

JKD Posted at 2016-1-12 22:54
Thanks Patrick. I have contacted the UK support center that you posted. They advised me that I would ...

I would suggest you to contact your dealer first to get the problem confirmed .
2016-1-12
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-12 22:00
I would suggest you to contact your dealer first to get the problem confirmed .

Did you try taking the SD card out and popping it in a USB TO MICRO SD card adapter and format it on your computer, and after you do that copy the update .bin file into the sd card then putting back into the camera ad slot and powering your unit back on, While its doing the update you'll hear specific beeps and you can also see the LED flash between green and red, and when it's done it will turn green and the beeps change. There are great YouTube videos  you can watch that show exactly how it works.
2016-1-12
Use props
JKD
New

United Kingdom

nrechtman Posted at 2016-1-13 03:19
Did you try taking the SD card out and popping it in a USB TO MICRO SD card adapter and format it  ...

Thanks for the response!

I have re-formatted the SD card in my PC with the official SD formatting tool.

Where can I obtain the .bin file? The P3S now updates solely through the DJI GO app. There are no downloads for the firmware available on the DJI website.  

The DJI GO app downloads the firmware to my phone, but becuase of the SD read error, I'm unable to copy it over to the SD. I did try and find the downloaded firmware files on my device, thinking that I could copy them to the SD manually, but I couldn't locate them - even if I did, I'm not sure if this would even work?

Then there's the question - is my unit just faulty? Nobody has answered this yet.
2016-1-13
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

JKD Posted at 2016-1-13 06:13
Thanks for the response!

I have re-formatted the SD card in my PC with the official SD formatting ...

I apologize, I didn't see you had a P3S, so when I noticed your model this morning I looked on the DJI website and didn't see any update downloads posted like there are for the P3A & P3P, but for my SD card (32 gig) when I couldn't format it at first from the app, I put mine in a micro SD card adapter in my Mac and formatted it as FAT-32  ( if it's larger then you have to format it EX-FAT) and then I  put it back into my P3P and then had no problem reformatting in the app
2016-1-13
Use props
JKD
New

United Kingdom

nrechtman Posted at 2016-1-13 16:41
I apologize, I didn't see you had a P3S, so when I noticed your model this morning I looked on the ...

No problem! Thanks for your input.

It's definitely a valid point, from what I have read the SD reader seems to be very picky. I have tried 3 different cards all formatted in various devices and apps.
2016-1-13
Use props
JKD
New

United Kingdom

For anybody else with the same issue, the next logical step is to contact your local support center - for UK this is support.europe@dji.com

I have done so and will identify if my unit is defective, or if I can fix at home - fingers crossed!
2016-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules