12Next >
2986 42 2016-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tayhan91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

I always see posts titled, "how long have you flown", and they never mention times. I understad its typical to fly ~20 mins but i mean something along the lines of, "how much time youve spent in the same spot with multiple batteries?"
My dad used to fly RC airplanes and always talked about how it would become stressful after some time up in the air. But flying RC planes and FPV drones are a bit different. We dont ALWAYS have to be locked on to our drone. if you take your eyes away from it during a flight, you wont lose orientation as easily as you could when flying a plane.

Im thinking about buying a 3rd battery just incase i really want to fly for an hour or not have to worry about charging batteries. Is an hour way to long to be flying? Has anyone had any issues with flying for extended amounts of time?

2016-1-12
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8378937 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I sometimes drain 4 batteries in succession.  Usually an hour and ten minutes.  Usually land shortly after the 30% alarm.  I mostly fly off of the iPad screen.  Stay in a 500m circle.
2016-1-12
Use props
klinknky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106447 ft
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-13 04:38
I sometimes drain 4 batteries in succession.  Usually an hour and ten minutes.  Usually land shortly ...

I go through my 4 batteries most of the time when I'm out flying a way from the house. I change them out at between 40 and 30 %. I don't have a lanyard to hang the RC from so it whould be tiring for me if I had more than 4 batteries...but I'm old.
2016-1-12
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

I use 3 batteries, biggest issue at the moment is hands getting cold (just bought some gloves for that issue) - in fact holding a warm - just used battery was a treat at the weekend!
2016-1-12
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I usually fly all my batteries in the same day.  Either at the same location or multiple locations.  If I stay at the same location for all 5 batteries, with landings and battery changes, camera settings changes, cool down time, 2 to 2.5 hours. Maybe three.  I have never gotten tired and in fact most times wish I had another battery or two.  I don't use a lanyard but I don't seem to get tired operating the remote.  I am very 'fluid' when I fly and am always adjusting to keep antennas properly oriented.  I can't just 'stand' there and fly.  Oh, and I am no spring chicken either.
2016-1-12
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8378937 ft
  • >>>
Canada

klinknky Posted at 2016-1-13 04:48
I go through my 4 batteries most of the time when I'm out flying a way from the house. I change the ...

Me too (old).  Lanyard is nice especially when using a full sized iPad and hood.
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have some extra cash it could be great. BUT if your normally done after 2 batteries then don't waste the money. BUT honestly, I think if you had 2 batteries, you could easily them in a day.
I had 3 batteries and I had a job that was going to be in the desert for a few hours. I bought two more batteries and wish I had just one that day.
BUT, since then (several months ago) I've had no need for them so I sold them to my fiends and just have the 3 and that's perfect for my.
2016-1-12
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 15:37
If you have some extra cash it could be great. BUT if your normally done after 2 batteries then don' ...

Is there a US supplier for the batteries?
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-13 05:49
Is there a US supplier for the batteries?

Tons of them if you don't want to order from DJI. Amazon, BH Photo, and pretty much every drone dealer across the country.
2016-1-12
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

For me 3 batteries usually does the trick.
Some days I'd like twice that though
2016-1-12
Use props
frank3347
New

Canada

how many batteries can the drone run before needing a cool down? thanks
2016-1-12
Use props
buckbee23
lvl.1

United States

at the very least 15 minutes.... but it's your 1000 toy, if you don't want to wait it's on you
2016-1-12
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 15:55
Tons of them if you don't want to order from DJI. Amazon, BH Photo, and pretty much every drone de ...

B&H photo?  Awesome!  I have done business with them many times.

I have just lost confidence in DJI's ability to ship promptly.  I know B&H will ship whatever I order within a day.
2016-1-12
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

i just bought a third battery, and fly about 18 minutes per. If I'm going to be driving 30 to 40 minutes because of geofence I need to be able to spend some time flying. I live in concord ca and I'm right in the center of the biggest single no fly circle I've seen. Let's see if this link works.

2016-1-12
Use props
tayhan91
lvl.2
United States

thanks everyone for the advice...I have no problem spending 5 batteries worth of time outside. i will be purchasing 2 new batteries since i cant justify spending any more than 300 on the drone right now but again thank you all for the advice
2016-1-12
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 16:37
If you have some extra cash it could be great. BUT if your normally done after 2 batteries then don't waste the money. BUT honestly, I think if you had 2 batteries, you could easily them in a day.
I had 3 batteries and I had a job that was going to be in the desert for a few hours. I bought two more batteries and wish I had just one that day.
BUT, since then (several months ago) I've had no need for them so I sold them to my fiends and just have the 3 and that's perfect for my.

Huh?  Are you okay?  Since it shows you as being in the US and especially since it shows you as being in the US, this makes no sense on so many levels.
2016-1-12
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-12 20:11

I have just lost confidence in D ...

I get my batteries at the local Best Buy. they usually have them on the shelf and I walk right out with them.

I have 6 Batteries at I run each one down each time out. Got the Charging hub to get things back and ready for the next day
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-13 09:11

I have just lost confidence in D ...

Most orders form DJI come form China so it may take longer.
2016-1-12
Use props
tayhan91
lvl.2
United States

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-1-12 22:48
I get my batteries at the local Best Buy. they usually have them on the shelf and I walk right out ...

"...and i walk right out with them"

so youre saying you steal them huh? haha ... just kidding just kidding

i imagine you walking into a best buy grabbing five batteries off the shelf and casually walking out as if nothing ever happened haha

i think im picking an extra one up at bestbuy. no waiting around for shipping and i couldnt imagine them being anything but official DJI batteries.
2016-1-13
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

tayhan91 Posted at 2016-1-13 11:46
"...and i walk right out with them"

so youre saying you steal them huh? haha ... just kidding jus ...

Order the charging HUB off of amazon with prime.... you will be VERY glad you did. I promise.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ph ... ds=dji+charging+hub
2016-1-13
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

There's an alternate way to power your flights: Bring a charger and charge a spent battery while using a freshly charged one. I have 5 batteries to cover the situation when I don't bring the charger with me, but when I do bring it, I can probably get by with 3 batteries.

Who this applies to: This scenario probably doesn't apply to the strictly recreational user; it would most definitely apply to the professional (someone using a UAV potentially all day depending on the job); and it could apply to those in between like me, doing creative projects that sometimes requires me to fly a lot.

I have this Goal Zero YETI 400 charger**. With the DJI supplied AC charger, It will charge a battery just as quickly as at home plugged into AC. Also, you can get several charges from it, though I have yet to exhaust my YETI in the field. This assumes that you a) have the YETI fully charged before you go, and of course b) all of your DJI batteries are also topped off before you go. If you have two DJI chargers, you can charge two batteries at one (or one battery and the RC).

** I also have the YETI 150, but the P3P charging system trips the breaker because it draws more than than battery cranks out. The 150 would work from the 12V cigarette plug (rather than one of the AC outlets) with an inverter to DC (purchased separately for about $30), but it would take longer.

Also not that anyone here can charge a battery from their own cars' 12V cigarette plug with an inverter to DC (purchased separately for about $30) without having to purchase an expensive charger. Having both is a big plus, especially for those of you on a road trip or working remotely.

PS: I don't work for Goal Zero nor am I affiliated with them in any way. They are not the only maker of these kinds of batteries / chargers, they're just the ones I have experience with. Like DJI, they are one of the more mature companies in their field, so are a good bet in my book. You can also buy solar panels to charge up your portable battery from the sun from any of the companies in this field, though that takes all day or more depending on the panels you have.
2016-1-13
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 22:09
Most orders form DJI come form China so it may take longer.

Yea.  At this point, if I could cancel the order, I would.  PayPal is a PITA to cancel stuff through.

Unfortunately, I didn't research it well enojugh prior to the order.  Had I known it would be packed by a quadriplegic sloth and shipped by a slow boat from China, I would not have ordered direct from DJI.  In fact I am quite sure had I ordered from B&H, I would have already had my maiden flight.  Instead, I sit and wait for the sloth to wake up and put it in a box.  Then probably weeks before it gets here.  Maybe I will get it before I put out my Halloween decorations.  Maybe.
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 226020 ft
United States

So the website claims they will ship 1-2 days after payment is confirmed. But from what I am hearing hear it sounds like the shipping takes much longer? I just ordered a Phantom 3 standard last night directly from DJI. Should I have just ordered from Amazon Prime?
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

zcholla Posted at 2016-1-14 02:12
So the website claims they will ship 1-2 days after payment is confirmed. But from what I am hearing ...

I really apologize, i was incorrect. There is a fulfillment center in the US and if ordering from US/Canada/Mexico you should get your product rather quickly..
Once in a while their may be a back order and they are waiting for the 2nd shipping from China and you yo got a back order it would only take a little more time. And this does not include just announced products.
So order away and you'll have it soon. I think just the P3 Pro's are coming from China and would take just a little longer.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-1-14 01:45
Yea.  At this point, if I could cancel the order, I would.  PayPal is a PITA to cancel stuff throu ...

I mis-spoke, most orders ship directly from the US, so if you live in US/Canada/Mexico you'd get your product rather quickly.
2016-1-13
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-13
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 12:30
I really apologize, i was incorrect. There is a fulfillment center in the US and if ordering from  ...

Thanks for the clarification
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 12:31
I mis-spoke, most orders ship directly from the US, so if you live in US/Canada/Mexico you'd get y ...

Thanks
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

Davphys Posted at 2016-1-13 12:45
Probably. And you probably should have ordered an Advanced.

Yea, I would have ordered the PRO with all the gadgets too but just cant afford to go all the way at this time. Isn't the only difference between them the Camera/Gimbals?
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

zcholla Posted at 2016-1-14 02:49
Yea, I would have ordered the PRO with all the gadgets too but just cant afford to go all the way a ...

pretty much, and the slower charger but that's no bid deal. BUT, the Advanced has much more to offer than the Standard verses Pro against Advanced.
But still, no where can you get something with that much technology as the Standard for the price.
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 13:01
pretty much, and the slower charger but that's no bid deal. BUT, the Advanced has much more to off ...

No Doubt - I literally couldnt believe the sale! Because I had only purchased my FC40 a few weeks ago for $400!!

So I sold it on Craigslist in 1 day for what I paid for it, and immediately bought the P3 Standard. Now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival....
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

zcholla Posted at 2016-1-14 03:10
No Doubt - I literally couldnt believe the sale! Because I had only purchased my FC40 a few weeks  ...

Nice, you can download the app and watch a bunch of the tutorials and view the manual so at least when you get it, you'll already know everything about it.
2016-1-13
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I want to fly more (I have 3 lipo's) but at the moment my hands are getting to cold because of the 2-8 degrees C.

I toke the extra batteries for the holidays when I take my drone in a bag-pac for a whole day.

2016-1-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-1-13 12:35
There's an alternate way to power your flights: Bring a charger and charge a spent battery while usi ...

It really is not good for the battery to be charged right after use.
2016-1-13
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-13 12:15
It really is not good for the battery to be charged right after use.

You're right, I do let mine cool down for a bit, but it doesn't take long (~10 minutes). I've noticed that the DJI smart batteries actually won't let you charge right after use, especially if they're still very warm — it just gives you a warning blink.
2016-1-13
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-1-13 15:14
You're right, I do let mine cool down for a bit, but it doesn't take long (~10 minutes). I've noti ...

What is the typical charge time of a phantom 3 battery?
2016-1-16
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

zcholla Posted at 2016-1-16 08:48
What is the typical charge time of a phantom 3 battery?

Sorry for the delay.

It's hard to give a solid answer for this. If the battery is down to one light (~0-15 %), then I would give it a full 25-30 minutes (someone feel free to correct me with more solid numbers), but I rarely let them get that depleted, so something less for something that has 20-30% left.

Part of the reason for not depleting them more is getting it back for one shot, but then not wanting to send it back out with a small amount left if you know your next run could be a long run or long distance.

Also, those of us with several batteries pay less attention to how much it takes, because we either:

a) charge one while flying on another and therefore may not be paying attention to when it's done charging, or:

b) charge them all when we get home, which is something we do while doing other things, once again not paying too much attention to them.

Chris
2016-1-22
Use props
zcholla
lvl.1
United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-1-22 21:52
Sorry for the delay.

It's hard to give a solid answer for this. If the battery is down to one lig ...

Wow that's much faster than i thought! I figured at least an hour or more.
2016-1-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

zcholla Posted at 2016-1-23 10:19
Wow that's much faster than i thought! I figured at least an hour or more.

Yes, it's quick, but there's a downside (in case I haven't already mentioned): that means it draws a lot of current, so some lower-powered battery chargers (the types that are batteries themselves, but designed to charge other devices) will either pop a circuit or if not protected by circuits, will fry.

All that means is that if you're using such a device, rather than plugged into normal AC, you should check the specs to be sure it delivers enough. The batteries draw 100W during charging, so if your portable charger delivers less than that, the circuit will break. My first charger delivered only 80W, so it tripped all of the time and wouldn't fully charge a DJI smart battery.

2016-1-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules