Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Use of third party apps and loss of warranty
6604 18 2016-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112211 ft
Netherlands

Some days ago my drone cashed as described here:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D240%26typeid%3D240

I now got back a reply from support at DJI:
The R&D deparment has been analyzing your data with the following conclusion:
conlusion the costumer used a third party autopilot app. RMA charge
With a Third party app we cannot assure the safety while flying.
I'm sorry for this outcome.

So that means that everyone using a third party app (that is based on the official DJI SDK) automatically loses their guarantee when something happens because of a failure in the DJI hardware. I find this unbelievable. First of all, if this is how they feel they should not publish a SDK to develop sofware and secondly they of course are still responsible for their hardware. Now I have to force my guarantee through my legal insurance. Bad show DJI ...
2016-1-13
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

I have been in contact with the developers of Autopilot and they have an email that shows that DJI does not void the warranty on the product. It is this email below:

====
Subject: Re: URGENT: Re: Autopilot
Date: September 23, 2015 at 7:53:14 PM CDT
To: Jim McAndrew <jim@autoflightlogic.com>

Hi Jim,

I’ve forwarded everything over to Social, and they should be able to get the posts up soon. Also forwarded the updates to the web team for the DJI Developer site showcase.

Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app doesn’t void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost.

- Ryan====

I would like to hear the opinion from the DJI support people in this forum ...
2016-1-13
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

And what about Litchi?
2016-1-13
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

I suppose the same situation with all apps. I understand that this Ryan Tong is responsible for partner relations in DJI so you would expect that he is serious when sending an email like this.

Also, since all third party apps control the phantom through the JDI SDK they are also part of the software of third party apps.
2016-1-13
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I would say this is probably an error.
Third party apps only exist because of the DJI sdk.
2016-1-13
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-14 05:36
I would say this is probably an error.
Third party apps only exist because of the DJI sdk.

They might use the sdk but that doesnt guarantee the software is good yet Dji is supposed to guarantee  everything thats made with it , most major software issue a sdk like photoshop for instance and 1000s of 3rd party plugins I dont think adobe would guarantee a plugin just because its programed using the sdk ,,,, bit of a grey area all this .
2016-1-13
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

RodB Posted at 2016-1-13 22:59
They might use the sdk but that doesnt guarantee the software is good yet Dji is supposed to guar ...

Still, but the SDK takes care that an app can not do very strange things with the drone. The way DJI treats it to see it as a black and white area ... Any excuse to prevent warranty they take this way
2016-1-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-14 09:20
Still, but the SDK takes care that an app can not do very strange things with the drone. The way D ...

Actually, if you read many of the cases on here, DJI is remarkably good with regard to warranty, from complete replacement down to discounted prices on replacements.
2016-1-13
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

RodB Posted at 2016-1-14 07:59
They might use the sdk but that doesnt guarantee the software is good yet Dji is supposed to guar ...

The burden of proof would be on them to prove that it was the app rather than the sdk or aircraft.
You cannot abrogate responsibility when you provide the means for the 3rd party app to exist (the sdk).
2016-1-13
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-14 16:25
The burden of proof would be on them to prove that it was the app rather than the sdk or aircraft. ...

On thinking on it I think youre right  .
2016-1-13
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am not sure but I have the feeling that autopilot is more "3th party" application then for example Litchi or FPV camera.

For example function and behavior of the drone (waypoint flying) is different with autopilot then with DJI go/litchi/FPV camera.
-different speed between waypoints
-stop mission with RC lost
-actions on a waypoint

Those functions/behavior are completely the same on the other 3. That is more look and feel (and of course less limitations 500m / you don't have to fly the waypoints first / gimbal movements)
2016-1-13
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

SHamers Posted at 2016-1-14 08:12
I am not sure but I have the feeling that autopilot is more "3th party" application then for example ...

But still they talk through the JDI SDK to the drone. The SDK takes care that only allowed commands are given to the drone.
2016-1-14
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

true Martijn
2016-1-14
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

"Custom Flight Controller

While most other apps use the DJI Flight Controller included in the SDK, Autopilot is designed around a Custom Flight Controller that was purpose-built with smooth and safe autonomous flight control as its primary function. By using a Custom Flight Controller, Autopilot is able to offer unique functionality, especially in Waypoint Mode.

The Autopilot Flight Controller has been extensively tested and proven to work in real world scenarios, and it has been in production use since the original launch of Autopilot in March 2015 - many months before any other app was available with advanced autonomous flight features.

Important The code for this Custom Flight Controller executes on the iOS Device, which means that the aircraft must be connected to the Remote Control at all times in order for Autopilot to function. Additionally, older iOS Devices with limited processing power may be unable to perform the necessary calculations in certain situations."

@Martijn, for above reason I am scary to use autopilot. (To be honest: I don't exactly what it means - but it looks like overwrite of SDK/DJI rules)
For this reason I am not using autopilot)
2016-1-14
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

SHamers Posted at 2016-1-14 12:08
"Custom Flight Controller

While most other apps use the DJI Flight Controller included in the SDK,  ...

You can not override the SDK since the is the only way to talk to the drone. And than there is the firmware in the drone that also sets limits to what command to accept.

But most importantly, DJI can't just refer to third party app and refuse warranty, especially if the crash is clearly related to something internal the drone (namely incorrect battery information.
2016-1-14
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Indeed Martijn - DJI have to do a Root Cause Analyses before they write " no warranty for 3th party app's". So no issue!

And yes SDK commands/interfaces are defined but still possible to let the drone land in the water / flying to  a tree and let you do a waypoint mission longer then 500m - just as a example
2016-1-14
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

SHamers Posted at 2016-1-14 15:21
Indeed Martijn - DJI have to do a Root Cause Analyses before they write " no warranty for 3th party  ...

I agree. What I meant is you can not give commands to the drone that would directly crash it by stopping a rotor but of course the software might mistakenly land you in wrong places.
2016-1-14
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

Next step in the story, a new answer from DJI Support:
===
Dear Martijn,

Thank you for your email.
I understand your frustration.
Unfortunately i cannot overrule the R&D department, i'm sorry.

Thanks for choosing DJI
===
I find this unbelieble that een though Ryan Tong from DJI clearly states that it is OK to use third party apps that I still get back this answer. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen, especially for a product of 1400 euros ...
2016-1-19
Use props
Masterchief
lvl.1

Netherlands

dude this is youre own faulth stop wining do not use 3rd party apps if you wonna keep youre warranty... !!
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules