New P3 Adv and I'm confused!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andyross4564
lvl.1

United States

Hi (and thanks in advance),
My new P3 advanced turned up yesterday and instead of doing my usual getting it out, setting it up and flying without reading any instruction, I took the time to go through every readable piece of information and watched every youtube video possible to get myself in a good position to fly.

Anyway, I followed the instuctions to the letter and loaded the 1.6.0040 firmware bin file (after unzipping) onto the SD card and continued to upgrade the P3. As far as I can tell everything went well, it made all the noises and I confirmed the upgrade by putting the SD back in the computer where it instructed me that the action was successfull.

When I tried to load the bin onto the controller by means of a memory stick, nothing happened. So, i tried another stick and still nothing. I then attached my iphone 5 and hey presto, I was notified (via wi-fi) that an update was required to which I let it carck on. Again, and as far as I know, all went well.

Now, as I don't want to get too cocky and crash on my first flight, I decided to have a go at the simulator. But, nothing seems to be working and I'm getting a message telling me that 'Reformatting is suggested' on the screen of the simulator.

As I am completely new, can you please assist me with the following:

How do I know that the firmware loaded is the same on both the P3 and the controller?
Is my P3 safe to fly?
Why am I getting the 'Reformatting' message?
Is it avisable to take the Firmware back to an earlier version, and how (if advised) would I do this?

Thankyou in advance. Hopefully when I am in a better position and have gained some experience with the P3 I will be able to assist other users.

LJ
2016-1-15
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
Italy

Hi!, AFAIK RC controller FW is updated only through dji go app since 3 FW ago, and when they release new P3 FW not always the RC needs an upgrade. Format SD card with no worries through dji go app and you'll get no more messages, maybe you haven't done this before and it's perfectly safe, if you format SD card with your pc often this message appears. After this I highly recommend to do a cold IMU calibration now after FW update, be sure your phantom is as cold as possible and battery is almost full charged and place the aircraft on a flat surface in absence of vibrations, after successfully completed imu calibration I recommend to do the gimbal calibration with the aircraft in the same position.
2016-1-15
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
Italy

Imu calibration is not related to compass calibration so when i do it indoor often I get compass error messages signalling me interference with metallic pipes embedded in the floor or walls but I proceed anyway. Imu calibration is very important and should be done after every FW update. For what concerns compass calibration I do it before every flight getting rid of every metallic objects around aircraft like keys, metallic watches,belt metallic accessories and so on, also be sure to be far enough from RC controller when performing compass calibration  
2016-1-15
Use props
andyross4564
lvl.1

United States

Thanks, will try
2016-1-15
Use props
andyross4564
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mariano76 Posted at 2016-1-15 11:30
Hi!, AFAIK RC controller FW is updated only through dji go app since 3 FW ago, and when they release ...

Hi, and thanks for the info. Can you please advise me how to format the SD card through the Go app?

Regards, Andy
2016-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules