If DJI Go crashes while in flight - what would happen?
2628 13 2016-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

Smartphones and tablets being what they are, eventually you will have the DJI Go app crash. I've had it happen while using the flight simulator, probably because I had another app interfere with DJI Go. There are obviously ways to minimise the risk, but my question is:

How would the different Phantom models behave  if this happens while they're in flight (I have a P3P)? Would it depend on the flight mode?
What would be the best response for the operator?

Thanks!
2016-1-15
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have had the app crash a few times.  In GPS mode center the sticks and restart the app.  It will reconnect.  In way point and orbit mode the phantom will continue to fly the mission.
2016-1-15
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

If the app loses connection with the aircraft, it will initiate Return to Home if not on a "mission" and it is set to hover after the mission. Make sure you set the proper Return to Home altitude before you fly.
2016-1-15
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-15 12:03
If the app loses connection with the aircraft, it will initiate Return to Home if not on a "mission" ...

The comment regarding non-"mission" flying is partially true.   I've had my app crash a number of times on Android (early on, seems to be more stable now) and as long as your quadcopter is still within the distance range of the controller, you can simply let go of the sticks (so your copter hovers) and restart the app....as you say it'll reconnect.   RTH should only engage if you totally lose signal contact between your controller and the quadcopter.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-16 01:23
The comment regarding non-"mission" flying is partially true.   I've had my app crash a number of  ...

If the app crashes during a waypoint mission or you lose RC signal, the aircraft will continue it's waypoint mission. That's why it's always important to have your final waypoint next to your homepoint.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

answered in last post
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-16 01:23
The comment regarding non-"mission" flying is partially true.   I've had my app crash a number of  ...

Yes, RTH only works with loss of RC signal and not video signal. You will lose video before you lose RC signal. And the aircraft will fly just fine even if you don't have tablet/phone connected to it.
2016-1-15
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-15 12:32
If the app crashes during a waypoint mission or you lose RC signal, the aircraft will continue it' ...

Agreed.  My post was in response to non-Mission mode operation.  Mission mode I felt was covered well in the original post and your post.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-16 02:00
Agreed.  My post was in response to non-Mission mode operation.  Mission mode I felt was covered w ...

Ya sorry, I was trying to cover all bases for others that may just skim through a thread (like me sometimes)
2016-1-15
Use props
luperon21
New

Dominican Republic

I had that's problems loosing RC connection while in flights and i notice that's the usb plug on my phone was too loose, replace charging port on my cell phone and not loosing any more RC connection.
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

luperon21@Hotma Posted at 2016-1-16 03:45
I had that's problems loosing RC connection while in flights and i notice that's the usb plug on my  ...

Yes, most times if you lose video signal and way far away, usually the USB cable or possibly the USB port on the radio
2016-1-15
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

Terrific answers folks - I definitely feel better about the app now. Many thanks.
2016-1-17
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

Ken , if you loose Video Transmission , would you also loose the map view as well.
I was wondering if you could fly home just watching the map.
Course i guess if you loose connection to the go app you would loose everything , is that correct.
2016-1-17
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

tim.hulse Posted at 2016-1-17 06:38
Terrific answers folks - I definitely feel better about the app now. Many thanks.

Just a warning though, it was mentioned in a thread a few months back that when the app re-establishes connection sometimes the home point is also updated with the current location of the craft. If that does happen and you have to initiate RTH, the craft will not come back to the original home point, but the new one instead.

I have personally never experienced a mid-flight app crash so I am not sure if this vulnerability has been fixed with recent updates. Just be aware of the possibility and you should be ok.
2016-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules