Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Looking for a Lens Hood to prevent the shadow Flicker
7556 21 2014-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

I've bought one on ebay, but was unhappy with the results.  You could see the hood from the gopro, and it didn't fit well because of the bar securing the camera to the gimbal.

Any recommendations?
2014-9-17
Use props
tony
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never thought about using a lens hood to prevent this. Sounds plausible. I am flying a P2V+ and would like info on a similar option for the stock camera. I'll have to do more research. Thanks for the heads up!
2014-9-17
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

I've heard of people using gaffers tape over the lens, but I could never get the right size, and it falls off sometimes.
2014-9-17
Use props
screamtothex
lvl.1

United States

I found this today.   DJI Phantom 2 Vision + lens hood
2014-9-17
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

screamtothex@gm Posted at 2014-9-18 09:44

Thank you, I wonder if they have one for the Gopro also.
2014-9-17
Use props
screamtothex
lvl.1

United States

Oh man there are tons of them GoPro Lens   I don't know if you have access to a 3D Printer, if not shapeways.com would print one really cheap
2014-9-19
Use props
fasterthaned
lvl.1
Flight distance : 569902 ft
United States

If you are in the USA i can print you one and ship it to you..
2014-9-23
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This isn't for the GoPro, but others coming to this thread with the P2V+ may be looking for the same thing. I've ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14140330 ... =p3984.m1497.l2649.    And will report back if it works or not. With the EBay Money Back Guarantee, it was worth a try. I think the key feature is that you can put the gimbal clamp on, without removing the lens hood. Fingers crossed it works....
2014-9-24
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

fasterthaned Posted at 2014-9-24 05:12
If you are in the USA i can print you one and ship it to you..

Sure.  Can I paypal it to you?  I'd like 2.  How much, and has it been tested on a phantom 2 with a h3-3d?
2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.4

United States

screamtothex@gm Posted at 2014-9-18 09:44

You need to stay with black hoods. white is to reflective and will add more light to your camera.
2014-9-26
Use props
rongopro
New

United Kingdom

best one is from viewkopter , so simple and cheap
2014-9-29
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Got this one in the mail today (for the P2V+) from Ebay Seller Mr. Droneworx. It is pouring rain and I haven't had the chance to test it. But it looks promising.
shade1.jpg
2014-10-1
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

3D Printed, lightweight, and you can leave it on even when installing the gimble clamp and the lens cap. And the seller is top notch with extremely fast shipping.
shade2.jpg
2014-10-1
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Profile. Fingers crossed, hope it works.
image3.JPG
2014-10-1
Use props
nonrevs
New

United Kingdom

These get very good reviews https://www.shapeways.com/model/ ... t-received&cr=3
2014-10-8
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-2 04:33
Profile. Fingers crossed, hope it works.

Tony, did you get good results?
2014-10-9
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jason_kimbrell@ Posted at 2014-10-10 08:29
Tony, did you get good results?

I meant to get back here and post results, sorry!

YES! The first one I ordered came in like 2 days. He ships USPS Priority, very fast! But it came damaged (happened during shipment). I told the seller on EBay and he promptly sent me another one, but he also sent 2 different betas that he designed, with a stronger type of plastic for his 3D printer. The one pictured is the beta he refers to as the "Duckbill". It works exactly as you would expect. I ran some tests on an extremely sunny day and flew the same pattern with and without the hood and I definitely saw shadow flicker without, and could not get any flicker once I put the hood on. Works Great!

I also noticed that it helps significantly at night with the red hue at the top of the image from the LEDs. I still get a slight red cast on the top of the images, but not nearly as much as without the hood.

Here is the seller info and the listing for the new "Duckbill" which I just noticed is out of beta and now available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-D ... hash=item20eddda67e

This product works, it is extremely lightweight, you can put the gimble lock and lens protector on and not have to remove the hood, and the seller has great customer service and fast shipping. It's a solid buy in my opinion.
2014-10-10
Use props
jason_kimbrell
lvl.1

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-10 21:55
I meant to get back here and post results, sorry!

YES! The first one I ordered came in like 2 day ...

Thank you.  That is very helpful.
2014-10-17
Use props
noctividus
New

United States

My company produced a bunch of lens hoods to deal with the problem. We're selling them now:

http://apolloairobotic.com/products/lenshood/

It's a simple and effective solution.
2014-11-4
Use props
vonbaron1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

noctividus@gmai Posted at 2014-11-5 04:38
My company produced a bunch of lens hoods to deal with the problem. We're selling them now:

http:// ...

I tried the Airobotic lens hood and when in flight with my hex, it would flip my GoPro up now and then on the gimbal.  Took it off and the problem went away.  Sure would like to use it but not if its doing that.
2014-12-31
Use props
legacy.4
lvl.1

Canada

hey make one out of duck tape it works.
2015-1-12
Use props
noctividus
New

United States

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-1-1 09:46
I tried the Airobotic lens hood and when in flight with my hex, it would flip my GoPro up now and  ...

Sorry it didn't work for you. Since you said "hex" I imagine you're not using a Phantom 2. These hoods haven't been tested on anything but the Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse gimbal.  It's really not a solution that works on any other platform.
2015-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules