Trouble with exif data : esp. altitude
7358 29 2016-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ceelke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209101 ft
Belgium

Since the last firmware update , i've wrong altitudes wriiten in my exif data.
Ex. when i take a jpeg pictures at 10 m altitude, it says that i've taken it at 149 m.
In the dji go app says it is 10 m.
But in the pictures there are different altitude data.
What should i do?
2016-1-16
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Could it be the quad height added to the terrain elevation (based on the GPS position) ?
2016-1-16
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Are you sure that this is new.?  EXIF altitude is from GPS data.  GPS altitude data is notoriously unreliable.  I've seen variations on the order of 100 meters from the Phantom and my regular cameras.
2016-1-16
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

It now records GPS altitude in that field that was previously barometric altitude from take off point.
It still records Baro but in a different field (not sure where though).
2016-1-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-17 07:57
It now records GPS altitude in that field that was previously barometric altitude from take off poin ...

Are you sure of this?
It sounds unlikely.
I'm on 1.4 firmware and it's definitely only giving barometer heights above launch point.
Photoshop shows no other alternative height anywhere in EXIF.
GPS height accuracy is +/- 200 feet or more and can swing wildly so it's not going to be of any use to anyone.
2016-1-16
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-17 10:12
Are you sure of this?
It sounds unlikely.
I'm on 1.4 firmware and it's definitely only giving baro ...

yup the change came in 1.5.30
There's threads on this in the MME forums as it was unannounced and caught a few of us mapping people (inc MME) unawares.

I see it as actually a good thing because the baro is still recorded but you also get heaps of GPS elevations recorded at the same flight level which may be useful to average. I too however have stayed on 1.4.10 until I can be sure of the stability of new firmware.

2016-1-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-17 12:28
yup the change came in 1.5.30
There's threads on this in the MME forums as it was unannounced and  ...

Thanks Mike .... interesting to know.
2016-1-16
Use props
Ceelke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209101 ft
Belgium

Ulysse Posted at 2016-1-16 17:45
Could it be the quad height added to the terrain elevation (based on the GPS position) ?

No AGL was 70 m and the elevation +/-7m.
2016-1-17
Use props
JesperR
New
Flight distance : 38097 ft
Denmark

Ceelke Posted at 2016-1-17 13:46
No AGL was 70 m and the elevation +/-7m.

I have exactly the same problem with my exif data after the last firmware update. Furthermore, Windows Media Player cannot play the videos from the camera. Altitude is all right on DJI GO when I fly – so it is only the exif data that makes problems.
2016-1-17
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I have the latest firmware and coming back from a flight right now, the EXIF data contains the quad barometric height and nothing other.
2016-1-17
Use props
ops
lvl.2

Spain

As some of my last missions with DD (even some done with the same pictures that I had previously uploaded and went fine) were failing, I have compared the EXIF GPS data that DJI is writing in the pictures.
Two pictures taken in the same place, both 50m AGL (over terrain)
1st picture - Firmware beta FW_V01.04.0005
---- GPS ----
GPS Version ID : 3.2.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref : North
GPS Latitude : 39 deg 37' 44.82"
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Longitude : 0 deg 16' 27.05"
GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude : 50 m

2nd picture - Firmware public FW_V01.05.0030
---- GPS ----
GPS Version ID : 3.2.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref : North
GPS Latitude : 39 deg 37' 39.45"
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Longitude : 0 deg 16' 23.03"
GPS Altitude Ref : Below Sea Level
GPS Altitude : 57.169 m

Moreover, the NEW FIRMWARE EXIF adds the following data:
---- XMP-rdf ----
About : DJI Meta Data
---- XMP-xmp ----
Modify Date : 2014:10:13
Create Date : 2014:10:13
---- XMP-tiff ----
Make : DJI
Camera Model Name : FC300X
---- XMP-dc ----
Format : image/jpg
---- XMP-drone-dji ----
Absolute Altitude : -57.17
Relative Altitude : +49.90
Gimbal Roll Degree : +0.00
Gimbal Yaw Degree : -76.70
Gimbal Pitch Degree : -89.00
Flight Roll Degree : +10.20
Flight Yaw Degree : -78.50
Flight Pitch Degree : +3.50
---- XMP-crs ----
Version : 7.0
Has Settings : False
Has Crop : False
Already Applied : False

The location where images were taken is about 4m ASL (Above sea level) so the Absolute Altitude can never be negative (below sea level) in this place.
And if in the new EXIF the GPS Altitude : 57.169 m must be  the same as Absolute Altitude : -57.17 there  must be a SIGN ERROR

These are my findings
2016-1-18
Use props
JesperR
New
Flight distance : 38097 ft
Denmark

ops Posted at 2016-1-18 12:43
As some of my last missions with DD (even some done with the same pictures that I had previously upl ...

So is the conclusion that there is an error in the new firmware? Have any of you also experienced problems with the video format? I cannot play my videos. Is it possible to go back and install older firmware?
2016-1-18
Use props
ops
lvl.2

Spain

JesperR Posted at 2016-1-18 21:17
So is the conclusion that there is an error in the new firmware? Have any of you also experienced  ...

I haven't had any problem with videos, only that I can't play the videos in the SD card with the standard Android player, so I use VLC  
2016-1-20
Use props
ops Posted at 2016-1-18 19:43
As some of my last missions with DD (even some done with the same pictures that I had previously upl ...

You can get a reading of below sea level as the baro doesn't calibrate each flight like you would in a full sized aircraft.  I expect it's set to sea level at 1013.25mb of air pressure.  So you should notice the take off point would vary day to day.
2016-3-16
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

One of the f/w updates changed the exif field called GPS altitude from barometric altitude to actual GPS altitude. The baro is still there just somewhere else now. GPS altitude is notoriously "variable".
2016-3-16
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-16 13:57
It now records GPS altitude in that field that was previously barometric altitude from take off poin ...

Mike how are you guys accessing and inputting the Baro data since the GPS is crap? Is it all manually inputted?
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I will find out for sure but I know that only the barometer is used for aircraft altitude measurement in VPS range. Out of VPS range I still think it's the barometer and not GPS because of the GPS inaccuracy of 100ft or so.
I just did a test from 710ft MSL (0ft AGL) and hovered at 50ft and took a photo. the EXIF data said 855ft so the EXIF is off by about 100ft.
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-15 18:14
I will find out for sure but I know that only the barometer is used for aircraft altitude measuremen ...

Ken,

How do you access the Baro data? I cant find it anywhere in my EXIF info.
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-16 09:30
Ken,

How do you access the Baro data? I cant find it anywhere in my EXIF info.

I just uploaded the photo to a EXIF reader
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-15 18:34
I just uploaded the photo to a EXIF reader

Do you mind saying which one? I am on a PC and it just says Sea level or some other bad number. I am on a PC.
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-16 10:03
Mike how are you guys accessing and inputting the Baro data since the GPS is crap? Is it all manua ...

No, it's still in the exif data
I'm using older firmware so mine is still in the GPS altitude field.
Maybe have a look at  GPS ref Altitude?
A DJI staffer should be able to tell us
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-4-15 19:03
No, it's still in the exif data
I'm using older firmware so mine is still in the GPS altitude fiel ...

Mike where are you seeing an actual number for the baro data? I just get "Sea Level". What program do you use to see this info?
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-16 12:05
Mike where are you seeing an actual number for the baro data? I just get "Sea Level". What program ...

In windows you can just right click on the file then "Properties" then the "Details" tab and scroll down for the Altitude under the GPS heading.
Most photo programs will also be able to examine this information.
2016-4-16
Use props
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 624196 ft
New Zealand

I have been getting this error aswel using the pix4d app since the last update.  in the exif data that is avaliable from just right clicking on photos it only gives me altitude no baro height anywhere?
it has also been messing with the photo orientation in the exif data and makes the surfaces in pix4d come out with a big bend in the middle. hopefully an update comes out that changes it back!
2016-5-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Captain Jimbo Posted at 2016-5-19 14:43
I have been getting this error aswel using the pix4d app since the last update.  in the exif data th ...

What would be the point in changing it back? The barometric data will give the elevation above the take-off point only, not above sea level, so the information is useless for any serious mapping application.
2016-5-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-19 15:50
What would be the point in changing it back? The barometric data will give the elevation above the ...

But at least barometric altitude data is all relative to one point and the accuracy is pretty good.
GPS altitude data for the same point can vary 100 feet or more in just a minute so your mapping software gets bogged down in photos that it believes were taken at a whole range of altitudes even though they were all from the same level.
It's a simple matter to get the altitudes corrected to relate to sea level with ground control points.
Putting GPS data in the altitude field was a big mistake for DJI and makes no sense at all.
2016-5-19
Use props
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 624196 ft
New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-19 13:50
What would be the point in changing it back? The barometric data will give the elevation above the ...

yea its probably a bit rude on my behalf. i live and work mostly quite close to sea level (10-20m) and when flying at 50 AGL the altitude on my photos is about 250m. which seems to be a bit too far off for my liking. altitudes can be fixed with GCP's but ever since the last update all the models i have tried to make in pix4d have had a big bend in the middle.  I use 12 GCP's spread over a job that is about 20 hectares which fix the areas around them but when i get about 100m away from a GCP the heights on the model are wrong by 300mm. i know this is not most likely to do with the heights but before the last update the models were working fine?  
2016-5-22
Use props
christian
lvl.1

Sweden

What happens at Dji? Why not fix the error with the error in Exifdata in altitude? It worked fine when I bought my product from Dji in November 2015. Since February 2016 it does not work in any of Dji products! Can I get my money back?
2016-9-28
Use props
timkkkk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122162 ft
  • >>>

took a picture with inspire 1 at 50m,  exif reader says Relative Altitude 49.9m
http://regex.info/exif.cgi
2016-11-13
Use props
hblanken1
New

Australia

Hi all - I have a DJI Phantom 4 and a Mavic and love the birds. However with any point cloud my heights are off by quite a few meters. I understand from this and other threads that the altitude is unreliable. Now is there a way to calibrate this? Via the App? Or would someone have a (python?) script to adjust the heights in the point cloud in post processing. I.e. take ONE manual reference point x,y,z, select a point cloud point which matches this point - and then enter this into the script to adjust all other points with the delta? Any thoughts?
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules