Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 height off in app
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dacofty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,  lately I have noticed that my current height is off if I hover at eye level it should be around 6 ft but when I defend from a few hundred feet and hover eye level it reads 20ft or so on the app,  I can land toggle the copter power and then hover and it's more in line with the 6 foot mark.  I checked IMU and didn't need a re calibration,  any ideas if a setting might be off or what is going on?
2016-1-16
Use props
terrylewis
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately, I'll say that I find this somewhat normal behavior in the P3P/A and overall should not cause issues. There are a lot of sensors at work inside our P3 and most work by measuring differentials. Altitude is the most difficult if you are comparing takeoff and landing altitude. GPS altitude isn't accurate enough so the P3 uses the barometer and the other sensors to measure altitude differential. The barometer is just above the battery compartment so the natural heating of the battery will cause some drifting of the altitude measurements. So typically, the longer you fly, the greater the altitude will drift. Again, that shouldn't be an issue with the Adv & Pro, as we get between 3 and .3 meters (10 feet and 1 foot) our VPS kicks in and the P3A/P can sense where the ground is.....
2016-1-16
Use props
dacofty
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok thanks
2016-1-16
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Recalibrate the IMU on a perfectly level surface and see if that makes things better.
2016-1-16
Use props
William E. Burr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228698 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-16 19:03
Recalibrate the IMU on a perfectly level surface and see if that makes things better.

Dear Member,
Terry Lewis is 100% spot on.
I have been dealing with this issue for some time now.
Cold IMU calibration will not help.
This is a glitch we all have to live with.
Best Regards,
Wiliam E. Burrows Jr.
2016-1-16
Use props
dacofty
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

William E. Burr Posted at 2016-1-16 19:26
Dear Member,
Terry Lewis is 100% spot on.
I have been dealing with this issue for some time now.

Thank you I can live with it.  It usually will clear if i auto land then take off again.
2016-1-16
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-17 11:28
Thank you I can live with it.  It usually will clear if i auto land then take off again.

Try the IMU calibration anyway and see if it helps.
20 feet is more than most P3's show in alt drift over the time of 1 flight.
2016-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules