P3P with FW 1.4. To Upgrade or not to Upgrade?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meranomaia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 741 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello all,

i fly a P3P with the „old“ Motors on 1.4. It flies perfectly smooth, no problems, it´s a perfect machine, i love it!

But: It`s Winter here in the Alps, so it´s pretty cold outside and i have some Winter Winterwonderland Footage to create with the Phantom.

As it´s well known there is a issue with Battery Management in the 1.4 FW in cold conditions.
From my point of view is also well known that some P3P`s with the „old“ Motors are getting Vibration Issues with the 1.6 FW.

So i am in a hurry:  If i upgrade to 1.6 i might be safe in terms of battery management and operating the P3P in cold enviroments , but the risk of getting shaky footage do to vibrations seems pretty high.

There is also to consider that i cannot switch easily to a newer Version of the P3P (Buying a newer Version or getting it replaced) as my P3P is registered officilly here in Italy with it`s S/N, so replacing it would create a lot of paper work to do AND some additional cost. (Registering officially a P3P here in Italy costs about 1500 €)

Any idea someone (DJI Guys??) how i should proceed? Afaik i cannot downgrade to 1.4 if there are vibrations issues with my P3P.
Will i be on the safe side if i stay on 1.4 and try to fly slow and smooth as possible in cold conditions?

Thanks for your advice/ help!

2016-1-18
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I'm not convinced about battery management issues  with 1.4.10. I'm running it without any problems (but I live in the tropics so not cold at all!).
I had an occasion when I needed to get a shot and took off with 60% battery (was prepared to risk the bird) Performed flawlessly in very blustery conditions.
I'm on:
Go App 2.2
A/C 1.4.10
R/C 1.3.20
and the thing is consistently solid.

P.S. I also have the old motors
2016-1-18
Use props
meranomaia
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Thanks Mike,

i agree with you, 1.4 is rock solid. I had some lift off with 40% battery left w/o any problems too.  
But what comes with cold temperature? Will my bird fall from the sky when operated at -10 degrees Celsius taking at risk people, things and the copter itself?  This is the reason i think to change a working system, upgrading it from 1.4 to 1.6.
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

meranomaia@gmai Posted at 2016-1-18 11:07
Thanks Mike,

i agree with you, 1.4 is rock solid. I had some lift off with 40% battery left w/o an ...

Be sure to have your batteries at 20c or more before takeoff.
It will give them a lot more Punch and Stabitlity.
Inside your jacket would rock.
2016-1-18
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

I wish I had 1.4 back.  Upgraded to 1.5 then 1.6 and now am unable to fly due to disconnect problems with the app.  I've removed it and reinstalled several times, used airplane mode and turned off and on wi-fi but nothing works.  Stay with what works!
2016-1-18
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

I fly at -18 celsius with 1.6. Phantom has minor shakes, but if you are going to shoot at day time without long exposures, vibrations will have no effect at all.  Just lower gains a bit.
2016-1-18
Use props
meranomaia
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Balthazar, thanks, i'll do that!!
Kalin, thats another reason why i am afraid to update
Tautvillas,  the shakes you are getting,  come they from the copter or from the gimbal?  Wich motors do you operate?
2016-1-18
Use props
alextsampas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 774603 ft
Greece

kalin2011 Posted at 2016-1-18 16:18
I wish I had 1.4 back.  Upgraded to 1.5 then 1.6 and now am unable to fly due to disconnect problems ...

You can try downgrade to 1.5 then to 1.4 if you like to.
2016-1-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

alextsampas Posted at 2016-1-23 12:26
You can try downgrade to 1.5 then to 1.4 if you like to.

Alex,

No can do, can only go down 1 level. If you've already gone to 1.6 you can't go back to 1.4.

Sorry,

Jerry
2016-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules