Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-M & A7s with large lens
6604 4 2016-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stacy.rothwell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 222244 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi!

Just got my Ronin-M and love it so far!

I have a Sony A7SMII with Sony's 28-135 Servo Zoom lens.    The lens is large and heavy.  I have to balance the camera so far back I cannot put it completely on its back to adjust the tilt portion of the gimbal.   

Anyone else have this combination of camera and lens?   I really want this to work but am at my wit's end.

Thanks!
2016-1-18
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

Attach some kind of weight on the back of the camera, so you can tilt it forward
2016-1-18
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.1

United States

Hi Stacy, I have not tried the A7SMII with that lens combination, but what I have seen is larger cameras mounted onto the Ronin-M using Tilt Bar Extension Rods. These will give you a little more room for balancing the weight of the camera with that larger lens. Here is the link on BH = http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... extension_rods.html

Hope that helps. If you do manage to balance your rig using these, it would be great for the community to see an example. Best -George
2016-1-19
Use props
KCMartin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29974 ft
United States

George Mihaly Posted at 2016-1-19 11:13
Hi Stacy, I have not tried the A7SMII with that lens combination, but what I have seen is larger cam ...

Stacey: I can perfectly balance a Canon C-300/Canon 24mm f 2.8 pancake lens/BP-955 battery on my Ronin-M using the DJI tilt extensions. The camera is quite tall so I stripped it down to body only (no top or side handle, on camera monitor/XLR, or eye piece) . Total mounted weight is  4 pounds 4 ounces. Using lightweight wide to medium primes or short zooms vs heavy, long zooms is more practical on the Ronin-M and the center balance of your camera naturally shifts forward. IMHO: anything over 50mm is a bit tight for gimbal use anyway.  It flies well except the tilt back is slightly limited by the top hot shoe but I don't expect to ever need it to tilt back that extremely.

Have you considered using something shorter and lighter than a 28-135? Sony and other manufacturers offer lightweight, fast, wide zooms and primes that are both sharp and inexpensive.

Keith
2016-1-23
Use props
angus
New

Australia

Hi Stacy, did you have any luck getting the lens on there? I just bought the same lens for my A7s and was hoping to use it on my ronin m
2016-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules