Drone works fine one day and smoke on the next
6736 32 2015-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

used yesterday for about 2 full Bat cycle everything was 100% and today went to download the videos and with out the Props i decided to turn it on to descharge the Bat fully and all 4 motors started to spin very slow (slow-mo) like if something was holding it back and i notice the smell of burn and a litthe smoke coming out of one of it , removed the Bat and tryed a different one and the samething happen, everything else works 100% , any ideas guys?
thanks
Jr.
2015-1-1
Use props
knowonecares
lvl.1
United States

Fried ESC board (Electronic Speed Control for one of the Motors). Return it to seller. If you open it up you might void any warranties (I assume it is new) If it is past warranty, look into having it repaired or if experienced in electronics you can replace the ESC board, but only if you have experience with soldering etc... Several posts about new Phantom Vision 2 + quads having faulty ESC boards as a possible issue, it's still arguable if it is defective parts or simply a part of the RC-Hobby...things wear out and fail.
2015-1-1
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

Not had this experience but I have noticed that when I have been calibrating  indoors (props off of course!) the bird does get quite hot very quickly, particularly the camera and mount.  Maybe the bird depends on airflow to maintain temps within limits.  I might rig up a domestic fan for next time just to be sure
Rod.  
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

Why do people post function or defect questions without mentioning what they're flying?

In this case, where there is building rumor about burning ESCs in the version 2.0 Phantom 2's and version 3.0 Vision Pluses, it would be really interesting to know what particular model this fried ESC came out of.
2015-1-1
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-2 06:15
Why do people post function or defect questions without mentioning what they're flying?

In this cas ...

its a 2 vision+ (not the V3) have it for about 6 months used several times never had a issue , wondering if i should upgrade all 4 motors and sec's to the newer version.
2015-1-1
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

knowonecares Posted at 2015-1-2 05:48
Fried ESC board (Electronic Speed Control for one of the Motors). Return it to seller. If you open i ...

how long is the warranty on this things for? have you ever used it ? how long it typically takes for a repair?
2015-1-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If your in the UK you should take it back to the shop, as you have a years guarantee. If its out then go for it, no harm in making it better.
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

apjr1@verizon.n Posted at 2015-1-2 06:41
its a 2 vision+ (not the V3) have it for about 6 months used several times never had a issue , won ...

It seems to me that the two weak links in these Phantoms are GPS reception and the ESCs on the motors. My concern, and those of us that have the v 3.0 Vision Pluses, is the occasionally-reported instances of sudden control loss and immediate augering in from failure of an ESC. These version 3.0's apparently use a smaller diameter wire from ESC to motor and the speculation among some is that that smaller gauge wire can't handle the higher current draw of the new 2312 motors, they melt and short and then it's poof-crash. Those folks do complain that the new motor/ESC combos aren't as reliable as the version 2.0 Vision Pluses, which had much more robust wiring, apparently.
2015-1-1
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-2 06:57
It seems to me that the two weak links in these Phantoms are GPS reception and the ESCs on the mot ...

in that case maybe i should just try to get it fixed with the original parts from this version
2015-1-1
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-2 06:50
If your in the UK you should take it back to the shop, as you have a years guarantee. If its out the ...

im in the US, going to try this warranty tomorrow and see what happens
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

apjr1@verizon.n Posted at 2015-1-2 07:01
in that case maybe i should just try to get it fixed with the original parts from this version

Well, it's only speculation. No smoking gun, no testing, ony supposition by a few folks based on forensics.

I guess if I had your problem, I'd repair it by getting a previous-version ESC and motor. Cheapest route to repair. If DJI ultimately determines that there is an ESC/motor problem in the current version then they'll likely come out with an "upgraded" upgraded motor. IMHO, THAT would be the time to buy the new motor/ESC upgrades.
2015-1-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see why one should not upgrade the motors, props and ESC's while they have a chance!

The new setup is far superior and much less taxed....which is probably what caused the problem in the first place!

The older Vision+ flies very "heavy" - it's weight is right about at the max for the Phantom. That's why they re-engineered it.

If it was my money, I'd upgrade...for sure. Of course, at 6 months it may not be under warranty - still, DJI or your dealer may offer a discount on the new stuff to make it up to you.
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-2 09:24
I don't see why one should not upgrade the motors, props and ESC's while they have a chance!

The ne ...

Quite a little bruhaha gaining momentum over fried ESCs (and therefore catastrophically crashed Phantoms) in the V3.0 Vision Plusses. Solid 11 gauge, non-stranded wire, maybe generating high enough heat to fry the insulation, short the leads, and crash the Phantom. What's your take on that proposed scenario?

Bigger motors with bigger current draw, thinner gauge and solid wire, (not stranded/flexible) in a vibrating airframe.

Hmmmm.......
2015-1-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Heck, I make the assumption, probably wrong...that DJI stress tests these things.

I think the upgrade is very similar to their E300 tuned flight kit which has been around for a year or more....so the basic components are very well tested.

As to the final assembly and the possibilities of what can go wrong - unfortunately, we usually find that out in field testing. I know this much - without those upgrades I would not buy a P2V+ because of how heavy it flies...

2015-1-2
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-3 03:17
Heck, I make the assumption, probably wrong...that DJI stress tests these things.

I think the upgra ...

Nah. The E300 uses the previous version 2212 motors. Lower output, beefier gauge stranded leads.

I don't know about testing. Surely they do test them, but it wouldn't be the first time that serious defects were discovered only later by the consumer. Auto manufacturers come to mind.....
2015-1-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-3 04:49
Nah. The E300 uses the previous version 2212 motors. Lower output, beefier gauge stranded leads.

Reading up on it - yeah, definitely concerns there.
DJI engineers have been taking part on some forums and they tend to "know things" - I think DJI would be well advised to put out some kind of a statement on this.

Lots of things could have happened.....they could have been busy with the Inspire and the new project (CES nxt week) and trusted these changes to an engineer without having the top people sign off....or maybe it's the contract manufacturer taking a shortcut.....

They should clearly address it and nip it in the bud...wherever the chips may fall. If they want to be like Apple....well, then, they have to play in the leagues like the big guys do. (bendgate, antenna gate, etc.)
Someone at CES is bound to hassle them in the booth for answers.....
2015-1-2
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-2 09:24

The ne ...

did you ever tested both versions out under the same Gain settings? i read different experiences about the new version, some say the differenc is minimal at best and some prefer the old motors becausue its better for filming. I wouldnt stress to much about that upgrade, it looks like its really not much difference.

Maybe there are some electronic nerds in here but the old motor had 920KV and the new has 960KV. I read that a lower number means more powerful, on bigger quads you have like 500KV motors and bigger props. THe 960KV motor will rev a bit more i think but i dont know how much difference the 40kv makes. ESCs are the same in hardware, only FW changed
2015-1-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have not flown the new one - but I used the old one and I didn't like it's flying manners. It felt like - and it was - at the max. payload DJI suggests for that setup. The new system added a lot to the max payload...and some experts have commented that the motors are much better. I think it's more a matter of exactly matching the motors and esc's to the props and to the particular bird than simply comparing the Kv specs.

"New propulsion system for Phantom 2 and Phantom 2 Vision+
New 2312 motors, 9450 propellers, and ESCs combine to give you greater thrust and control than ever before. You can load more equipment on your Phantom, and achieve up to 200g/arm of extra thrust when using a 3S LiPo battery with this completely new system. "
2015-1-2
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-3 10:31
Reading up on it - yeah, definitely concerns there.
DJI engineers have been taking part on some for ...

OMG, the timing couldn't be worse for DJI. They're trying (with some difficulty) to launch the Inspire 1. CES is happening any minute now. GoPro is breathing, hot and heavy, down their neck. And now, their flagship consumer drone crops up with some kind of serious fatal flaw, at least that the growing consensus on most of the R/C forums.

If they can't make their flagship drone work reliably, and won't even address the problem with burning/failing ESCs, who is going to be willing to shell out $3500 for a brand-new-to-the-market drone, version 1.0?
2015-1-2
Use props
couchie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161499 ft
United States

I can tell you as a relatively new P2V+ (2 months) owner, I'm not liking the issues I've seen with this company. Between the GPS issues with the V2 and now this issue with the wiring from the ESCs to the motors on the v3.... almost makes me regret the sales pitch I gave my wife to let me spend this money!

As said in other forums though, I'll keep flying my stock P2V+ v3 until it falls out the sky. I'll box it up and ship it back on the warranty!
2015-1-2
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

so on DJI's web page under support they list several placed for repair, one assume that if is listed on the site they will repair it and maybe consider the warranty, Wrong !!!!! just like anything else its all about $$$ this people from STC in NYC never even asked to look at my 3 months old drone all they said was call dii !!!!
so i did and its on the way to CA. now
to make things worse i just got my fedex shipping confirmation from my inspire that i ordered when my phantom was flying like a champ. :@
2015-1-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

These are experimental aircraft and even 10K mutirotors (and 100 million dollar jets) fall out of the sky based on certain percentages.

Also, I don't think even the Inspire has extra failsafes (if one prop or motor goes, that's it)......nor a parachute or airbag. That all said, it's probably the best $500 camera you can buy (lifted by a $2000 quad attached to a $600 TX).

People are buying Inspires...lots of them!

DJI did the right thing(s) with their P1 line in terms of engineering....and even the first Vision (non-plus) was pretty reliable. But the Vision+ introduced new complexity - and their high growth curve probably puts strains on resources, etc.

This is where the CEO needs to set the "Steve Jobs" standard of not shipping until the product is almost as perfect as can be. Maybe they need to go public sooner so they can have a couple billion in the bank and afford not to rush as much.

As far as GoPro breathing down their neck  - that seems somewhat silly, as we have clearly seen that it can take years to perfect and trust a system and F/C etc.
GoPro can't hardly put out a decent cam (the 3 line couldn't focus correctly at infinity).

But there are others now like the Yuneec coming from companies with some years of experience in electric aviation and contract manufacturing. DJI still has a chance to be the Apple of multi's, but they need to get in front of real problems if and when they occur....not just for customer trust, but to truly have the most reliable platform out there. Even despite whatever problems exist, I think they still hold that crown in the under $1500 market segment.
2015-1-3
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

The Phantom 2 series aren't experimental aircraft. They are mature consumer products and DJI is selling them as such. if they're going to  sell them to the general public as "ready-to-fly" R/C aircraft, they have an obligation to make the unit as well-engineered and reliable as possible and to apply a Quality Assurance program that is commensurate with the $1000-plus that they ask for the unit.
2015-1-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-4 06:00
The Phantom 2 series aren't experimental aircraft. They are mature consumer products and DJI is sell ...

They can definitely always improve! Mature? I'm not sure about that. The products we consider as such are often made by the millions (smart phones, computers, etc.) and actually have decades of engineering behind some of the core features. Electric flight and multi's just haven't been out there that long (I'd say it started - consumer wise - with the plain Phantom 2 years ago.

Anyway, back to the wire issue - I got the big OK from a DJI engineer (that the wires are OK and designed for heat dissipation - he claims he's going to address the issue semi-officially soon.
Looks like it's not the wires - but maybe the ESC's and having the prop's hit:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-1-4
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-4 20:44
They can definitely always improve! Mature? I'm not sure about that. The products we consider as su ...

Yes, I saw that. Very interesting. I'm glad I didn't void my warranty by clipping the wires to the ESC and soldering in some bigger ones.
2015-1-4
Use props
daveac
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-2 12:34
Quite a little bruhaha gaining momentum over fried ESCs (and therefore catastrophically crashed Pha ...

difference in wire size
2015-1-4
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

daveac@hotmail. Posted at 2015-1-5 01:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2VnC2SjQ4

difference in wire size

Sounds like the wire size is less of a problem, if it's a problem at all. The bigger issue appears to be the ability of the current ESCs to handle the new, higher-current 2312 motors.
2015-1-4
Use props
daveac
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-5 02:02
Sounds like the wire size is less of a problem, if it's a problem at all. The bigger issue appears ...

Is Dji going to do anything about it? or is it all down to user error, tip overs etc?
2015-1-4
Use props
tomvon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201673 ft
United States

daveac@hotmail. Posted at 2015-1-5 02:12
Is Dji going to do anything about it? or is it all down to user error, tip overs etc?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After emails from DJI, suppliers here in the U.S. and from reading other boards, the conclusion is that these failures are due to a faulty WiFi module. Evidently, the modules have been overheating which results in a complete loss of video feed although telemetry and other functions still work fine. Despite DJI not taking on this issue professionally by taking responsibility for the design issue leading to this problem, there is a solution. A new module can be purchased from U.S. Hobby or UAV Direct for $189. There are several sites....http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20006.... where you can find a step-by-step procedure for replacement.

I have had great success with the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, but this issue and the lack of professional responsibility on the part of DJI, has really made me start second guessing any future business with the organization.

Good luck with your repairs.
2015-1-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Lots of "conclusions" being made....."from reading other boards".....and stuff like that.

So how does the WiFi module fry the ESC's and melt the motor wires?

Can you link to the letter or email from DJI - official one?

Or are you stating - in the middle of the thread about the ESC's failures - another problem which is affecting the WiFi connections?
2015-1-4
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

tomvon Posted at 2015-1-5 03:28
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After emails from DJI, suppliers here in the U.S. and from reading other bo ...

What do (supposedly) faulty wifi modules have to do with system shutdown due to ESC failure from overheating?

IIRC, DJI addressed the wifi problem in v 3.0 by ventilating the cover and careful application of thermal paste.
2015-1-4
Use props
anthony
lvl.2
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-5 05:13
Lots of "conclusions" being made....."from reading other boards".....and stuff like that.

So how do ...

Or does tomvon have an interest in selling WiFi modules?
2015-1-4
Use props
Rui Frias
lvl.1
Flight distance : 586529 ft

I think that happened to me today!!

Third time fly for a new battery, and right after landing, the battery started to make a very loud noise and one of the back motors had smoke!!! Not to much, maybe less than a cigarette, but I had to remove the battery because it did't shut down normally...

Then after the motors got cold again, I tested my 2 older batteries and everything did just fine whrn flying.... Now I'm a little afraid to use that battery, I don't know what's going to be the drone reaction to it...

Should I try to charge it and test it? Shoud I go to the resseler? If it's not in good condition, how can I prove it so I can get a new one?

Thanks
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules