Carbon fibre props for P3???
1555 16 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mitchwhite
lvl.1

Australia

Hey guys,
Ive been doing a bit of research into the pros and cons of carbon fibre props with the P3 and im finding that people are divided on this topic, does anyone want to share their experiences with CF props, either DJI or third-party? Has anyone noticed an improvement with their P3's performance by upgrading from the factory props to CF props?
Cheers
2016-1-20
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I've just received a set.  The two with a silver centre needed balancing, one quite obviously.  I'll hopefully be testing them later today to see if it reduces vibrations to the extent I'll be able to use longer shutter speeds.  I expect not, but until you try these things...
2016-1-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Slight increase in performance, although there is reduced battery time. Also they are a bit quieter than the plastic ones.I really like the look of them also. I just wish the price was less to justify this. I think in the future I'm just going to dye my plastic props black.

Cheers. Donnie

PS you may want to enter carbon fiber props in the search bar there may be more responses there.
2016-1-20
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-1-20 14:45
Slight increase in performance, although there is reduced battery time. Also they are a bit quieter  ...

Increase in performance?  I'm assuming you mean response rather than outright speed.  I don't understand how battery life will be altered, since there is no extra work being done...unless the aircraft needs to correct differently to compensate for the quicker response times.  If that's true, then adjusting gains &/or expo should help.  Or is it just a gut feeling?
2016-1-20
Use props
jhwjr1
lvl.1

United States

I think the theory is this: plastic blades flop around a bit and become less ideal in flight due to deformation. A carbon fiber blade holds it's perfect shape somewhat better because it is a lot stiffer, thus making flight more efficient, lift more reliable, turns just a little sharper. But the difference is rather difficult to actually discern. It's not night and day.
2016-1-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-20 09:16
Increase in performance?  I'm assuming you mean response rather than outright speed.  I don't unde ...

There was a video on YouTube were a person did a comparison and the flight time was slightly less with carbon fiber blades. Not a huge difference but it was measurable.

Cheers-donnie
2016-1-20
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-1-20 17:48
There was a video on YouTube were a person did a comparison and the flight time was slightly less  ...

I just got back from testing.  I got ~30 seconds more with the CF props.  You're right, not a huge difference, but if it's repeatable it's worth having the extra 30 seconds if it prevents a dip in the sea.
2016-1-20
Use props
dpdurst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265830 ft
United States

Just installed mine and love them! Black with the yellow tips is awesome..
2016-1-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dpdurst Posted at 2016-1-20 18:31
Just installed mine and love them! Black with the yellow tips is awesome..

Be sure to Balance as well.  4 out of six were near perfect , but two were way off.  I agree, they do look awesome.  With the yellow tips, you can see the prop better as well in motion.

Cheers- Donnie
2016-1-21
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-1-21 13:11
Be sure to Balance as well.  4 out of six were near perfect , but two were way off.  I agree, they ...

I noticed that.  2 out of 4 of mine needed balancing, one of which was quite a way off.
2016-1-21
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

I've been thinking of buying a balancer lately. When you balance them, do you sand along the trailing edge? I would think you don't want to sand in one area (uniform across the length of the blade), and not on the leading edge.....but does it matter?
2016-1-21
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-21 13:46
I've been thinking of buying a balancer lately. When you balance them, do you sand along the trailin ...

I use electrical tape on the top surface (the same surface the DJI logo's are on).  I find that you can reposition it towards the leading/trailing edges to negate any hub balancing requirements.  Also, you can fine tune the balance just by moving the tape further along the blade.

Sanding takes too long & may cause other issues IMO.
2016-1-21
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-21 23:36
I use electrical tape on the top surface (the same surface the DJI logo's are on).  I find that you ...

hi nigelw

as a new/recent p3 pro owner i've been looking into starting to balance my props, but where do i start and what do i need ? how often do you balance your props ? also looking to get a set of carbon firbre props as well,as im also in uk anywhere you would recommend buying the balancing equipment/cf props from ?

thanks
2016-8-20
Use props
jamiehayman
lvl.1

Canada

I recently read on Phantompilots.com that the only part of the carbon props is the centre hub?
They were also saying that the CF props being a little stiffer seem to break easier than the standard props?
2016-8-20
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TechReviews Posted at 2016-8-20 20:08
hi nigelw

as a new/recent p3 pro owner i've been looking into starting to balance my props, but  ...

Hi

As it happens, I'm looking at selling up so can offer you my balancer & props if you're interested.  Email me at nigelwilkins@btinternet.com if you're interested.  The props I bought are the DJI ones off the DJI site direct from China.  I'm in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire if that helps.
2016-8-21
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-8-21 18:18
Hi

As it happens, I'm looking at selling up so can offer you my balancer & props if you're intere ...

email sent,just out of interest why you selling up ?   thanks
2016-8-24
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TechReviews Posted at 2016-8-24 23:23
email sent,just out of interest why you selling up ?   thanks

I originally bought my P3 to use for photography with the hope of selling my work, but the costs & practicalities of doing it part-time (legally) are proving too much to make it viable.
2016-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules