Local or cloud storage?
3531 10 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jobem
lvl.2

United States

I am running out of space locally. I have 1T on Google Drive that I can use. Do most of you have large external drives or do you use a cloud service?
2016-1-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

WD MyCloud 2TB (but go bigger these days).
2016-1-20
Use props
Lil' Outdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294777 ft
United States

i personal use a large external hard drive
2016-1-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use THIS which is large external drive that you can set up as your own private cloud. Has built in support for MAC devices so can also be used as a cloud for storing iPod/iPhone music and images/video. The controlling software is pretty good with many option to control access over the net. And has the option to be backed up onto portable HD's (USB3) or burned onto discs for off site storage.
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

I personally use a cloud service . It's easy and convenient !
2016-1-20
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Home storage devices are pretty cheap these days.  I have two devices - 1T & 2TB.
2016-1-21
Use props
jobem
lvl.2

United States

Thanks. I'm using a remote cloud service (Google Drive for now...maybe Carbonite later) just for safety reasons. We lost everything in a fire about 2 years ago. While I doubt I'd be unlucky enough for it to happen twice I don't want to tempt fate.

It would be cool there was a service that did both. It stores it locally for fast access. But backs it up remotely for catastrophic recovery.
2016-1-21
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Well, I never use 'the cloud' for anything.  I have the My Cloud device mentioned above in the 8T flavor as well as a 2T external just for videos and pictures.
2016-1-21
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

I use both. Originally preferred cloud for backup but found that with many image files and large video files cloud backups were unable to keep pace so finished products are up in the cloud, source files are also up to the cloud but never up to date and both finished product and source files are copied to a local NAS box.
2016-1-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jobem Posted at 2016-1-21 15:38
Thanks. I'm using a remote cloud service (Google Drive for now...maybe Carbonite later) just for saf ...

That's what the WD MyCloud can do, or you can back up to USB3 HD's and take them off site. And you can access it from anywhere via the web, worth looking into.
2016-1-27
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

WD Mycloud
2016-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules