Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH When on Cliff?
1162 11 2016-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyDen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

So, quick question that hopefully someone knows the answer to.  I will be doing a shoot this weekend that involves flying over the edge of a cliff.  The RTH will be set from on top, but what happens if I lose signal and the UAV is below the edge of the cliff?  I am assuming it will know that it needs to climb but I wanted to be sure.  I could just see the thing thinking that it was way higher and keep going down.

Hopefully that makes sense.

2016-1-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have the RTH set at stock settings (30m), and you fly down the edge of the cliff 100m and lose signal the aircraft will head straight up to 130m and then head home.
2016-1-21
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

I think what DJI-Ken said there may be a little confusing, so just to clarify: if using the standard 30m it won't go up to 130m above take-off point, it'll go up to 30m above the take-off point. For example, if you go down 100m it'll say it's altitude is -100m then when RTH is initiated it'll rise until it gets to 30m (so it'll rise 130m total).

I've tested this flying from the top of mountains and cliffs. Only issue is it can't go below -200m, probably for the same reason it can't go above 500m, the angle of the antenna means the signal is weaker unless it's in front of you, so bare that in mind if you're planning on going straight down.
2016-1-21
Use props
Starship
Second Officer

United States

They are both right.  The RTH altitude is above the home point altitude.  With that said...... make sure you don't reset the home point at any time during the flight...... but if you do, post pictures of the aftermath.
2016-1-21
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Starship Posted at 2016-1-21 20:57
They are both right.  The RTH altitude is above the home point altitude.  With that said...... make  ...

BOOM BOOM good humour still exists
2016-1-21
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

Awesome work all, thank you so much for the info.  This is exactly what I assumed it would do but you know, didn't want to chance it with $3500.  Thanks again and yeah, I will avoid changing the home point mid flight.  lol
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkyDen Posted at 2016-1-22 21:15
Awesome work all, thank you so much for the info.  This is exactly what I assumed it would do but yo ...

Let us know how it goes, depending on how far you plan on descending off the cliff make sure you watch your battery. If there is any kind of downdraft and you get caught up in the moment of beautiful scenery, you may not have enough battery to come home.
2016-1-22
Use props
Sir Shepherd
Second Officer

United States

I have never used RTH feature nor auto take off. But I probably should try it out one day.
2016-1-23
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-23 15:34
I have never used RTH feature nor auto take off. But I probably should try it out one day.

Shepard,

I think you should check the RTH feature.

When operating commercially in the UK, you are required to have a safety feature and to test it.  If you haven't tested it, how do you know it is functioning properly and could rely on it in an emergency.  As part of commercial operators manual, the ability and use of a RTH function is very important.  When you get a firmware update you are required to ensure the aircraft is fully airworthy and ready for commercial operations.  If you dont test it and confirm the aircraft is good to go, you cant demonstrate that you have a fully operational aircraft or that it is safe for use.  This is the same advice I would advocate for any hobyyist pilot using any UAV.

It is a very worthy bit of technology, embrace it and use it.  Check it frequently, especially after each and every firmware update so you know your aircraft is fully airworthy and safe to operate.
2016-1-23
Use props
Sir Shepherd
Second Officer

United States

I agree and I'll do that over the next week. Thank you
2016-1-24
Use props
offshorecl1
lvl.3

Belgium

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-24 20:29
I agree and I'll do that over the next week. Thank you

Before attempting the RTH, first and foremost, checking altitude before  flies (later, occasionally repeating the control)
2016-1-24
Use props
Sir Shepherd
Second Officer

United States

I'll set mine at 200 ft considering I have smaller mountains near our land.
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules