Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Really on the fence at the moment on Pro 1 purchase. Help...?
1002 10 2016-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gemini8026
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264157 ft
Canada

Hi all. I'll be short and sweet

[size=14.6667px]I am an amateur photographer who takes photos for fun (Photos By Jeff on fb, or jeffwizniak.smugmug.com if you want to see my style)

[size=14.6667px]I own a Nikon D810 with various lenses. I bought a Phantom 3 advanced to see if I would enjoy drone photography.

[size=14.6667px]I LOVE the photo ops available to me with a drone, and I realized when I flew the Phantom 3 a few times that I really enjoyed it. But coming from a guy who owns a Nikon D810 full frame, needless to say the P3A camera is not overly awesome. I love playing with RAW files and tweaking images, and I thought that the Inspire might give me a better shot at things.

[size=14.6667px]So anyhow, I also realize something. The X5 isnt an amazing camera either. It's only 16mp, and with 12.8 stops of DR, its no full frame, or even as solid as a decent crop unit (recent sony sensors come to mind)

[size=14.6667px]BUT, aside from building a full bore rig that will not have the sweet DJI integration and huge price tag and liability, this is the best I can do.

[size=14.6667px]- As a photographer, would I regret spending the money?! Did you?!

[size=14.6667px]- Could we see a larger sensor camera come out from DJI within a year or two?!

[size=14.6667px]- Is the Inspire 1 V2.0 capable possibly of a larger sensor housing or is this the max payload as is?!

[size=14.6667px]- Do you see something within a year or two changing the game?!

[size=14.6667px]I can get an Inspire Pro shipped to me new in box for a FANTASTIC deal (3600 usd shipped) or 5200$ Cdn. Thats a LOT of money for a 16mp camera with wings....

[size=14.6667px]Any thoughts?! Anyone regret spending the $$?!? Anyone holding out for something better?!?

[size=14.6667px]The next step up is an S1000 with an A7 camera, and to get a unit like that up in the sky with a good video downlink is likely a 5 figure approach, and would require a long set up and tear down every flight....

Any advice is appreciated!
2016-1-21
Use props
gemini8026
lvl.1
Canada

I have NO idea why that formatting is showing up.  Its not on my EDIT screen.  Sorry!
2016-1-21
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The issue is really what sort of sensor will satisfy your requirements?
Answer that, then the choice of UAV platform logically follows.

I'm primarily a stills shooter myself - have run an Inspire since March and right now see little in the X5 that appeals.
Were I wanting to take the next step in quality by going with a full frame cam, I'd be looking to a larger scale UAV with some redundancy in its propulsion system.

I was doubtful over the X5 at launch, and with the reports of gimbal castings failing, firmware bugs and the crap that has to be gone through to get the thing to focus accurately - just not interested.
That's my 2c, others will rave about the thing.

Video guys will have a completely different view, and many are anxiously biting their nails for the X5r. Some may have even reached their elbows by now!
2016-1-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

gemini8026 Posted at 2016-1-21 16:50
I have NO idea why that formatting is showing up.  Its not on my EDIT screen.  Sorry!

Gemini
I will never spend another dime with DJI, I am not just ranting, my mind is made up, and I will not change it,  I have an Inspire 1,  a P3a,  I also had  a P3P and I have a P2,  They are all the most incredible flying machines that I have ever had the pleasure of flying, in my almost 60 years in the hobby of model aircraft,  I have never enjoyed flying anything as much as I have enjoyed these aircraft , I had planned to do a search and rescue program here in the mountains with the equipment,  That is all out the window now, I have no fly zones all around me with half the state covered in yellow or red, and rest of it in green.  The main thing is the control DJI is exercising, the constant updates, (downgrades),  I just cant take it anymore, and I will likely sell my dji equip.  I would get any system other than the lease units that DJI has allegedly sold us, and hook up a good camera and system that has nothing to do with dji if I were to try to do anything at all on a  professional level.  The Inspire is incredible though,  It is the most incredible flying machine that I have ever flown in all my years in the hobby.  I just cannot deal with the love hate relationship, and control by DJI that I have never experienced before, in the hobby, until now, with the constant updates (downgrades) and the incredible amount of control that dji is exercising over my equipment.  Buying an Inspire is like getting into the most volatile relationship, with the hottest woman you could possibly imagine, being very expensive, having absolutely no control over her or the relationship, never knowing what she will do next. hopelessly in love with her, causing you constant trouble.  And never knowing if she will be there for you. Whenever she slips out of your sight you always wonder if you will ever see her again, and then to top it all off, when her sister shows up about 4 months later you are ready to lock her in a closet and start the whole thing over again with her sister. This is absolutely the worst love - hate relationship that anyone could possibly get into, Buy one at your own peril, knowing what I know now, and feeling about everything the way I do I would not buy another dji product and would look elsewhere.
2016-1-21
Use props
gemini8026
lvl.1
Canada

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-1-21 21:11
Gemini
I will never spend another dime with DJI, I am not just ranting, my mind is made up, and I  ...

Thanks.  I realize it is bleeding edge technology and their are TONS of variables.  I expect it to be a few years until things are mature to the point we would like.

Im going to try it out, and sell if I have any regrets.  I can afford a few hundred dollar loss, and I want the ability to get to places others cant with my camera.  In Canada I havent seen anything regarding red or yellow zones on my P3A
2016-1-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

gemini8026 Posted at 2016-1-21 21:55
Thanks.  I realize it is bleeding edge technology and their are TONS of variables.  I expect it to ...

Gemini
If you haven't upgraded to the 2.5 app don't  do it there may be no fly zones all over the place then,  check in your account.  log in and look at the maps if you have already downloaded and use 2.5 and you have no , no fly zones then you are lucky,  I have looked at the geo fencing here where I live in a totally desolate area it is ridiculous,  I am going to download and use litchi if I still have all of the nags to upgrade and over half the state in no fly zones with out permission from dji I will have to sell my favorite flying machine
2016-1-21
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

Basically, the pro is the better camera.  If you don't own an Inspire already, you essentially will get the same aircraft with either choice so long as you get the V2 of the Inspire.  They both have the same motors, same props, same gimbal mount etc.  It's the camera that matters.  For me, I purchased a second Inspire 1 v2 because I figured I could add the camera later and now it becomes a pro version.  My advice though is to verify that you are getting a v2 if you go with the standard bird so that you are only have to upgrade the camera at a later date.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P3 Advanced is an amazing machine and with it's small footprint the camera is amazing for what it is. Inspire Pro is also an incredible machine and the X5 is incredible (again for what the Inspire can lift)
I don't know how you can get a Pro for that price but if you can, you can get it, play with it and if you don't like it you can sell it and not lose anything and possibly even make money. So why wouldn't you do that?
And what the Pro can give you that a S1000 cannot is the DJI GO app that gives you camera controls that with any other platform you would have to land and adjust settings. Plus FOCUS, that's a nice addition.
2016-1-22
Use props
gemini8026
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 23:49
The P3 Advanced is an amazing machine and with it's small footprint the camera is amazing for what i ...

Ken.

It's a bit of a story and I will spare the details but a local business had one in it's inventory that they needed to offload for whatever reason.

I've paid for it and it is on it's way.  Im just doing  abunch of reading now to make the most of it and to be prepared for flying it.   I realize that because it is such a new product that there will be firmware tweaks and software bugs for the first little while, but life is short, and I want to start taking innovative shots NOW.  I will upgrade down the road when better sensors and such come out.

Give me 24+ MP, a wide angle lens (35mm equiv of 14-20mm)  and I am happy.  Since this is first gen, Im sure the next gen will be even better, I just HOPE that the next generation will be compoatible with this Inspire body.  And thats anybodies guess, but I hope the Inspire remains a stable platform that is modular and such in that regard.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Gemini I think you will be very happy with it. The GEO stuff is still in Beta, so nothing is set in stone yet with the NFZ's. I love my Inspire and just got back from another successful job with it.
I do understand mtnmaddman's concerns though.

Dave
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gemini8026 Posted at 2016-1-23 04:19
Ken.

It's a bit of a story and I will spare the details but a local business had one in it's inv ...

When you get it, you do not have to update anything if you do not want to. It will say required but you do not need to do it. It is recommended to be on the latest update though.
You can look at the update release page to see what's  been done.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/i ... _Notes_en_12.24.pdf

Congratulations on the incredible deal you got. Trust me, that does not happen very often.
You will be amazed on how quiet the Inspire is, much quieter than your Advanced.
2016-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules