Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus issues with video DLOG/CINE - Out of focus. VIDEO
2500 6 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronie.dk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8077667 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Focus issues with your X5?

I have calibrated my lens (Oly 12mm) over and over and checked focus is ok when shooting photos. But as soon as you shoot video in DLOG or CINE, something weird happens. Attached is a JPG (f/6.3) - close, but not the sharpest aperture but serves the purpose here - it's clear that the lens is calibrated and the subject building (sorry, boring I know) is in focus. So far, so good. I can take focused photos.

But when I switch to video mode (infinity focus, f/6.3) things go south... When you choose DLOG and CINE, the image looks soft and mushy. But as soon as you choose NONE, it goes back to being in focus again like the JPG?!?! - See screenshot.

Attached is examples taken minuts apart from same position after the same calibration. All shot in MF, ISO100, f/6.3, Auto WB, (-1, -1, -1). Latest FW on everything.

It might be hard to really the see the difference with the compression to allow upload here in this forum, but I can guarantee, that the softness is VERY clear when compared.

Hard to see in the screenshots and with FB compression but I can guarantee that the softness is very clear in DLOG/CINE. Only good thing is, that there's a very good chance DJI can correct this in an fw update...I would hope, someone in DJI reads these things?

Here's a video that clearly shows the X5 go from out of focus in DLOG and CINE and going back in focus when switched to NONE: https://vimeo.com/152698874
Skærmbillede 2015-09-09 kl. 17.19.58.png

DLOG/CINE out of focus

DLOG/CINE out of focus

JPG in focus

JPG in focus
2016-1-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.3

Croatia

DLOG looks more soft.
I noticed same thing on phantom too
2016-1-29
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

You will need to ad Sharpening in post...... both Dlog and Cine are intended to be color graded and sharpened in post
2016-1-29
Use props
Dronie.dk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8077667 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Harb Posted at 2016-1-30 01:26
You will need to ad Sharpening in post...... both Dlog and Cine are intended to be color graded and  ...

No sharpening tool in the world can do fix a shoot with soft, mushy focus. That is not what sharpening does.

Sharpening increases the  difference between shadows and highlights - it does not fix focus issues. Anyway, DJI already acknowledged the mistake and promised that it would be fixed in the next fw update...if you could just believe that..

2016-2-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

Dronie.dk Posted at 2016-2-11 06:43
No sharpening tool in the world can do fix a shoot with soft, mushy focus. That is not what sharpe ...

If shot in RAW/D-log/Cine/etc, pretty much all internal in camera processing is bypassed or customised to be graded in post, so out of camera files will all look flat, lifeless and soft.
Can you give me a link to the original file...... I'd be interested to see what the difference is after Grading.
The difference between a Jpeg and The Cine footage is pretty much expected from what I can see, because the Jpeg Algorithm adds sharpening and other processing in camera.
I haven't got the X5 yet because I am waiting on the X5R to shoot 4k Raw, hence Id really like to play around and see what can be done with the X5 footage when it looks like yours does.

cheers
2016-2-10
Use props
andy.droneheadz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 726844 ft
Australia

I'm having the same issue! seemed to just start happening a few weeks back but I just noticed it as I dont use LOG every shoot. but it's definitely not a sharpness issue it's focus. I have LOG clips from a few weeks back which are sharp in comparison.
Did you manage to work it out ?
2016-2-17
Use props
colin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75686 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup.  Same problem for me here:  .  I did a Cine grade in Premier and sharpened as much as possible, but still would like a better solution.
2016-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules