Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO needs Geotagging
1915 5 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pinpointmapping
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DJI Amy, Ken and others,
Let me begin by saying Thanks for all the info and support you folks provide.  I know we forum folk can be demanding and difficult, but your presence on the boards and feedback is greatly appreciated.
I Have been enjoying playing with OSMO, but have found a software shortcoming that would be GREAT if could be resolved.  I work as a GIS Analyst here in Hawaii and started using Drones for the purpose of creating high resolution orthophotos and 3D models (Which works great by the way).  It would be wonderful if images taken with the DJI OSMO could be Geotagged as well.  I understand that the OSMO doesn't have an onboard GPS like the Inspire, but the iPads and iPhones (and android probably too) devices that We use to control the OSMO typically have GPS/location capabilities.  Can you have the Software Engineer folks see if they could get the location data from the controller device (if available) to Geotag the images.
The good folks at ESRI just announced a new tool called Photo Survey (http://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/photo-survey/).  They appear to be using a Garmin Camera (non stabilized).  I can imagine municipalities nation wide using and OSMO for this instead (if only it Geotagged photos)

2016-1-22
Use props
pinpointmapping
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is an image from the ESRI website showing the camera they are using (a non stabilized Garmin from the looks of it).  This is a great use for an OSMO & Vehicle Mount....
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-1-23 07:28
This is an image from the ESRI website showing the camera they are using (a non stabilized Garmin f ...

I've already sent a message to China asking for it
2016-1-22
Use props
peter.oregan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 321388 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I fully agree.  Adding geotags to OSMO images would double it's usefulness for field collection and mapping.  The GPS tags could come from the smartphone connected to the OSMO, and should also use GPS data from a dedicated GPS (such as Bad Elf) attached to the smartphone controlling the OSMO.  That would provide a higher level of accuracy than the raw Smartphone/ tablet GPS positions.  Hopefully DJI can oblige!!!
2016-9-28
Use props
pinpointmapping
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

peter.oregan@un Posted at 2016-9-27 23:55
I fully agree.  Adding geotags to OSMO images would double it's usefulness for field collection and  ...

I've given up on getting GeoTags for OSMO images, and have found that a Richo Theta S (a 360 camera) does a great job for capturing images that can be used for interior space mapping.  Having a 360 spherical view makes the data collection go so much smoother/quicker than using an OSMO and needing multiple times more photos.  I just need to get the Theta S mounted to a small 4x4 RC truck mount and that will further speed up the collection.    You can even just use Images from the iPAD or iPhone itself and not fool with the OSMO.  The longer I have had the OSMO, the less I use it.....
2016-9-29
Use props
RemoteGeo
lvl.1

United States

Hi pinpointmapping. This new application should do the trick for you: http://videogeotagger.com/ (There is a free version.) You can easily use a map to sync up a GPS log from any source like a phone app or traditional logger with video from the OSMO.
2018-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules