Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Benefits of X5R
12Next >
4171 41 2016-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyDen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

OK, so pretty straight forward here.  Why would one spend the extra money on the X5R vs the X5?  My understanding is that it will have a higher bit rate, but what kind of difference will that make in the videos, in a real world application?  It seems everything else is the same with the hardware and lens.  Just trying to get an idea for furture upgradability.   

2016-1-23
Use props
Farnk666
First Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Wait and see what actually comes from the camera when it ships.
Lots of very knowledgeable folks from the Cine world here are eagerly awaiting this device - but it's DJI.
Very heavy on the marketing promises and light on delivery.

Hopefully it is a great as they are hyping and people are able to unleash the capability to make some awesome content!
2016-1-23
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hey SkyDen.

The answer is simple - Quality!

But quality also requires experience about how to get the most out of it.

It isn't just bitrate, it's also the ability to shoot RAW.  This is extremely important.

Here's what I mean:

When you shoot on the X3 or X5 you are creating a look (saturation, contrast, color and so on) and "baking" it into the image.  Think of this as clay that has hardened.  Its shape is determined and if you try to change it afterwards it will most likely fall apart.    This is what happens when you try to modify the look of X3/X5 footage back in the studio after shooting it.   This, combined with the relatively low bitrate, which introduces LOTS of artifacts in complex images, can be very limiting.

So now we have the X5R.  Massive bitrate and shoots RAW.

So our artifact issue (will hopefully) go away plus when we get back to the studio we can bend the image back and forth, reset the ISO and color temperature anywhere we want, and perfect the image like never before.

But, as I said above, to harness this power requires the user has experience with color grading and a good idea of the look they are going for or there is a good chance your final image will look worst than an X3, not better.   This is because there are far more ways to ruin an image then there are to improve it.  

So in a nutshell, that's why the X5R is worth the extra money.  

Hope this helps.

Jim
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-24 13:52
Hey SkyDen.

Great explanation Jim ! X5R is a powerful weapon,  so it needs a professional owner who knows how to deal with it
2016-1-24
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

Thank you all very much for the information, it was most helpful and cleared it right up.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey SkyDen.

Yes, awesome explanation, I'm guessing many of the users with money to burn and not the knowledge may be complaining that it does't work correctly.
I'm keeping you perfect explanation analogy on file for when that happens.
2016-1-25
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-26 04:47
Yes, awesome explanation, I'm guessing many of the users with money to burn and not the knowledge  ...

Thanks Ken.  Yeah, I come across that ALL THE TIME!   People buy or rent an expensive camera expecting it do all the work for them and when their image looks worst than their iPhone they complain about the camera!

It's like blaming your oven for burning your dinner.  If you don't know how to cook then the responsibility lies with you.
2016-1-25
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-25 17:29
Great explanation Jim ! X5R is a powerful weapon,  so it needs a professional owner who knows how  ...

You know it Tim!  ;-)     If you guys want to lend me an X5R sometime I'd be happy to make a proper tutorial for it.  I don't think the stuff that has been published to date goes nearly far enough for someone to get the best results.   
Also very interested in trying it with my OSMO.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-26 10:37
Thanks Ken.  Yeah, I come across that ALL THE TIME!   People buy or rent an expensive camera expec ...

Nice, I love that one too
2016-1-25
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-25 19:34
Nice, I love that one too

I second Jim's offer, set him up with X5 so he can prepare a proper tutorial.  At this stage it seems we have a very powerful tool with little information on how to work through the settings, app and powerful camera.  Had a chance to calibrate my X5 the other day and hope to have another chance to use it tomorrow. But still, having an easy to understand (knowledgeable) tutoria would be worthwhile and help us all produce better results.  

Hook Jim up!
DJI_0020-(2)_SM.jpg
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-26 10:37
You know it Tim!  ;-)     If you guys want to lend me an X5R sometime I'd be happy to make a proper ...

I will ask someone thought, would be great to have a detailed tutorial.
2016-1-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-27 16:13
I will ask someone thought, would be great to have a detailed tutorial.

Thanks Ken, even if you arranged a loan from a local DJI dealer or something.  Would just be good to get my hands on it for a while.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-27 14:35
Thanks Ken, even if you arranged a loan from a local DJI dealer or something.  Would just be good  ...

I think it would be great, but again I have no say so in what they do. I sent a message to China and suggested it, that's all I can do.
I do know that's it's a really awesome piece of machinery. I have no clue how to use it correctly since I'm not a camera guy and I don't even know how to do basic editing.
2016-1-27
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

It would be greate if DJI gave Jim a X5 - he is a very valuable resource. I am sure he is responsible for a lot of the quality improvements that finally appeared on the X3 videos.
2016-1-27
Use props
vincentlublink.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Everything will be great in Raw, the only thing that makes me sick is that every gimbal DJI sell does have a horizon issue and Dji knows that!!!, and will not make it better!!!.
Yes you can correct it in the edid, i know, come on only the level of the horizon DJI, than you have a great great machine!, i love the Inspire 1 and pro, please do someting about the horizon level!I had the horizon issue with the phantom, the Ronin the ronin M the inspire 1 the inspire pro x5, so when every machine has that same horizon level problem it can not be that there is someting whit evryting i did buy from DJI.
A lot of people have the problem with the horizon.
And i think it will be a problem with the X5 raw also!

Do not hit me, i love the products and i will ceep buying them and flying them!

Thanks
2016-1-27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yeah give Jim an X5R!  I think a lot of inspire owners still don't know the huge bump in image quality over the X5.
2016-1-27
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-27 09:21
I think it would be great, but again I have no say so in what they do. I sent a message to China a ...

Dear DJI,

Jim Hare has done so much for this forum, all of us Inspire-1 owners, A N D DJI itself, as a supporter and educator on your equipment...that...you might strongly consider just sending him a X5R to keep as his own.
If you gift him a camera, I'm certain it's worth will come back to you (DJI) with his education and technical support. I suggest it's an appropriate time to reciprocate.

2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rfrye Posted at 2016-1-28 08:42
Dear DJI,

Jim Hare has done so much for this forum, all of us Inspire-1 owners, A N D DJI itself, ...

I sent an email yesterday to the powers that be with Jim's name in case they are looking for something like that. I have no idea if they are or not, but at least I put a bug in their ear.
2016-1-27
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, get Jim an X5 and X5R.  He's done way more to educate the mass group than DJI has done.  Get that man the tools he needs, better include an Osmo while you're at it.  Thank you!!!
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Hey SkyDen.

Jimhare,
If you email Beta@DJI.com that's the R&D dept.
Also, they asked for your email address. Don't get your hopes up, but I'm trying for you.
2016-1-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-29 03:18
Jimhare,
If you email  that's the R&D dept.
Also, they asked for your email address. Don't get you ...

All good Ken, thanks!
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-29 03:33
All good Ken, thanks!

I meant give me your email address and I will personally get it to them since that asked me for your email address.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-28 11:33
All good Ken, thanks!

I deleted the post for you so your info is not out there for everyone.
2016-1-29
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-30 09:14
I deleted the post for you so your info is not out there for everyone.

Good stuff Ken!
2016-1-29
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

The difference between the X5 and the X5R is 3 main things:
1. The X5R shoots 4k in RAW which is great if you have Adobe photo-editing software.
2. The X5R has a 500 GB SSD, so no micro sd cards to deal with. The X5 requires a micro-sd card, which limits your 4k shooting time. The X5 can take up to a 64 gb Micro SD card.
3. Cost! The price is probably going to be $1500 more than the X5 knowing that this is DJI we're talking about.Another great thing is the fact that the X3 can fit on the X5 and X5R mounting plate. So this way you don't have to deal with those fragile gimbal cables any more than you absolutely need to.
2016-1-30
Use props
raphael.dahan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-26 03:37
You know it Tim!  ;-)     If you guys want to lend me an X5R sometime I'd be happy to make a proper ...

It's an exlant idea, good fo us as users and good for dji commercial activity. It's a win win game.
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

noaches232 Posted at 2016-1-30 21:44
The difference between the X5 and the X5R is 3 main things:
1. The X5R shoots 4k in RAW which is gre ...

Absolutely agree!
2016-2-1
Use props
RDTeam43
R&D Team

China

X5 and X5R are different in nature. X5R is a cinema camera though it contains all of the functions of X5 as a Mirror-less.

You will see the powerful digital cinema by the X5R.

The workflow of CinemaDNG offers you the most fundamental footage from the sensor and the customer can re-tune almost everything in the post processing.

Only those top gears of ARRI/RED/BMD can offer you the CinemaDNG.

Don't be worried about the workflow because many software like Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere supports it quite well.

I suggest to download the sample footage from the webpage of X5R and have a try.
http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s/info#downloads

Welcome to the world of RAW.
2016-4-30
Use props
Neraxus
lvl.3

Canada

I know Dji doesn't really do these thing post release when they can sell a whole new product but I really hope they build prores into a new firmware, now that they have the license. Be great to get some more shooting time on the X5R and still have great quality footage.
2016-4-30
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-23 22:52
Hey SkyDen.

A very good response that reminds me of my early days in photography working in Dye Transfer. The absolute best color on paper ever invented, if you were good at it. Otherwise, just a big damn ugly mess.
2016-4-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-23 22:52
Hey SkyDen.

Easy to understand Jim!

I have the new Inspire 1 V2 but it will be awhile before I  can ever have the X5R   (year..)

Rich
2016-4-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-27 18:42
I sent an email yesterday to the powers that be with Jim's name in case they are looking for somet ...

Ken, I am not in the same league as Jim.... but throw my hat in the ring too!   

you already have my email..
Rich
2016-4-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-1 00:18
Ken, I am not in the same league as Jim.... but throw my hat in the ring too!   

you already ha ...

That email was months ago when we were testing the X5R.
It's already out now so no more testers needed.
You already applied so if they need anything they will contact you.
2016-4-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-30 10:33
That email was months ago when we were testing the X5R.
It's already out now so no more testers ne ...

Yes, I know Ken... I am registered with the team mainly for the GEO software....

I was putting in a plug for a free X5R

Rich
2016-4-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-1 09:04
Yes, I know Ken... I am registered with the team mainly for the GEO software....

I was putting in ...

It doesn't work that way
But I do have a new video of the Matrice 600.

2016-4-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-30 19:36
It doesn't work that way
But I do have a new video of the Matrice 600.

Ken
Ya, I know... but if you never ask...   

That Matrice 600 is AWESOME! It seems to have plenty of power without the camera pod installed and looks really stable in the wind. It looks lite on the landing gear feet without the camera to hold it down.

Nice job flying and thanks for sharing.  I look forward to more on this aircraft.

Rich
2016-4-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-1 12:53
Ken
Ya, I know... but if you never ask...   

Ya, it's a pretty incredible aircraft with lots of power. I'm hoping I'll get to test it with the Ronin-MX gimbal with camera.
2016-4-30
Use props
Red Sea Picture
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-1 12:58
Ya, it's a pretty incredible aircraft with lots of power. I'm hoping I'll get to test it with the  ...

I am a long time Red camera operator, I shoot Dragon  6K underwater, have been working with RAW video for quite some time now. It is a steep learning curve, but definitely worth the effort if you are aiming for cinematic images. One of the most important things that needs thorough understanding is the histogram, what it is telling you, how to control various parameters in order to get maximum image data onto the sensor. Frame, focus, histogram, and watch the magic pop out of your images in post!

New X5R arrives tomorrow, can't wait to test it.
2016-5-11
Use props
Red Sea Picture
New

United Kingdom

Repeat post
2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Red Sea Picture Posted at 2016-5-12 00:31
I am a long time Red camera operator, I shoot Dragon  6K underwater, have been working with RAW vi ...

Nice, you will really like the X5R, I am still learning photography/videography/editing.
2016-5-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules