First p3 video-SNOW DRIFT
1828 22 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

Come with tips and tricks for better videos in the future. Got the drone friday, filmed saturdy, edited sunday

Best regards

2016-1-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Now there's some fun!
two of my favorite hobbies, flying and riding a side-by-side...
Thanks for sharing good be safe!
2016-1-24
Use props
KEvans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

That looks like a blast!
2016-1-24
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

That's your first flights?
If so there's NOTHING! to add!
2016-1-24
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

Thanks for the kind words! couldnt agree more, havent had that good of a time since forever.
The red sky in the start is the first flight i did. But i recharged it 3-4 times that day so got better at first it was very hard to follow.
2016-1-24
Use props
Steelman
New

United States

You have a terrific playground!!  I'm jealous.
2016-1-24
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

Steelman Posted at 2016-1-24 22:48
You have a terrific playground!!  I'm jealous.

i can imagine, winter>summer hehe
2016-1-24
Use props
theronmalone
lvl.2

United States

Awesome coverage. Looks like it was a blast to film and to drive!
2016-1-25
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

boys and toys :-)
nice video - thanks for sharing
2016-1-25
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

Hopefully more will come! Aint so good at editing yet, but trying to improve in it. And ofc my flying too.
haha boys and toys idd

Good buy! the camera is much better than I expected too... couldnt be more satisfied
2016-1-27
Use props
qegge
New

Sweden

Where is this? great vid man
2016-1-27
Use props
SydneyMark
lvl.2

Australia

a great video, and if it's your first then even more impressive

the only tip i would give is to make it shorter, 60-90 seconds would have made it even better
2016-1-27
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft
United States

Finally, something other than a landscape flyby. Nice job with that and the low to the ground (relative to other videos) shots.

First things first: it's underexposed. This is pretty typical of any footage or photograph shot in the snow without any exposure compensation, as the auto exposure chip will think all that white is supposed to be gray and will drop exposure accordingly, and now all your darker tones are crushed, which isn't good when you (as the subject) are dark to begin with. A rule of thumb when  shooting snow scenes: overexpose by at least 2/3s of a stop, and sometimes even more. Check your histogram and get it just about to the top… and over, if there is tons of snow. I'm telling you right now you're going to need some ND filters to expose properly

Second, a bunch of the shots feel very video like. If you want it to feel like that that's fine, and keep shooting at 60FPS. If you want it to feel more "cinema"-like, shoot at 24FPS. Or take all your 60FPS footage and considered it overcranked, and run it at 24FPS to give it a very smooth slow motion effect. Though it does seem like you did drop some 24FPS footage in there. Try and keep it one or the other (unless you're overcranking) throughout a project because it can feel weird aesthetically to jump around in frame rates. If you're going to be shooting at 24FPS in snow,

Lastly, and this is a tricky one that anyone would have trouble with, including experienced aerial shooters: try and put space in the frame ahead of the subject. You need space to drive "into" in the frame. For example, if you're driving from the left side of the frame to the right the subject should be placed in the frame closer to the left side of the frame, preferably on a rule of thirds intersection. If you're on the right side of the frame it can feel very visually jarring because it looks like you're about to hit the edge of the image. Whomever was filming actually did a pretty good job of not letting that happen most of the time.

Bonus points for next time: if you incorporate some gimbal movements on your flybys from above, i.e., tilting the camera down as you fly over your subject, you'll really improve shots like the one starting at 2:40.
There are a couple of other things like generally editing for length / transitions / jarring camera movements, but that other stuff should keep you occupied for now.

The first shot from above shot straight down is quite good – the ranger is almost exactly lining up with rule of thirds grid lines while the camera pulls out. That's pretty damn good.
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

wooh! drift on a frozen lake is awesome! nice video!
2016-1-27
Use props
j30trouble
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

Great video. Suggestion for editing : find instrumental music. Not everyone has the same taste in music.Wrong music will turn off viewer. I just think instrumental music in background is more speaking to a wider audience. Keep up the good work.
2016-1-27
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

awesome.....
2016-1-27
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-1-28 02:46
Finally, something other than a landscape flyby. Nice job with that and the low to the ground (relat ...

Everything is actually filmed in 1080p with 60 fps. I just think 24 fps feels laggy for some reason :s
After this clip i looked in to colour correction and so on, so i will experiment with that next video.
Yea i need to train on controlling the drone and the camera tilt! was a bit shacky.

If i would buy another lense which one do u prefer? nd4, nd8 or nd16? Doesnt rly know what the difference is really :s

Thx for the feedback!
2016-1-28
Use props
lidolido77
lvl.1

United States

alyzzer Posted at 2016-1-28 11:51
Everything is actually filmed in 1080p with 60 fps. I just think 24 fps feels laggy for some reaso ...

I mentioned stuff about filters in this post, so check it out (currently on another username because the other one is having weird login issues).

The choice between 24/30/60FPS is purely an aesthetic choice, so don't feel like you have to shoot at 24. They all have different "feelings" to them: 24 can feel very cinematic, 30 feels more like TV, and 60 can look really smooth, but also a bit weird if you're not used to it (think The Hobbit, shot at 48FPS). That said, high action scenes benefit from 60FPS due to the way they capture more detail per frame when there's a lot of movement. You should try all of them to see which one fits; just remember to try and not have your shutter speed at more than 2x your frame rate. You *can* do that, but you'll get some overly sharp images that look really strange (example: see the beach scene of Saving Private Ryan).

Also keep in mind that if you want to do smooth slow motion, you need to shoot at twice the frame rate you'll be running at; this is what's called overcranking. So shooting at 24FPS normally, for really smooth slow motion, you want to shoot at 60FPS. This is what you see in films when something's in slow motion, but it still looks really clean. It's also why when you see slow motion shots sometimes posted in the forum it looks really choppy. It's because they shot at 24FPS then just slowed the footage down (instead of shooting the slow motion at 60FPS). They've effectively cut the frame rate to 12 frames per second  which looks really bad. If you shoot at 60FPS normally and want to get really smooth slow motion, you need to shoot at 120FPS. Unfortunately the P3 cameras don't support 120 FPS

That last part is where ND filters come in. To drop shutter speeds to 2x your frame rate, you often have to cut the amount of light entering the lens. Usually shooting in the snow during the day like you did, the shutter speed will fall around 1/500 or 1/1000th of a second; that's way too fast. Tossing on an ND filter will drop the shutter speeds until you're at your target of 1/120 or 1/60. I'd actually suggest learning to shoot in manual; it's not hard for video in relatively unchanging conditions, you just need to learn to read the histogram.  Histograms are not complicated:

Anyway, once you get basic exposure down (shouldn't take very long), you can stop fussing around with that and move on to the camera movements, of which you seem to have a good beginner handle on already.
2016-1-28
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

j30trouble Posted at 2016-1-28 04:47
Great video. Suggestion for editing : find instrumental music. Not everyone has the same taste in mu ...

Good tip! U mean songs like time? or do u have an example
2016-1-29
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

qegge Posted at 2016-1-27 21:17
Where is this? great vid man

It is in the northen parts of Sweden, Europe.
2016-1-31
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Was any of that using the "Follow Me" mode?
2016-1-31
Use props
alyzzer
lvl.1

Sweden

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-1 00:44
Was any of that using the "Follow Me" mode?

actually not a single one, first weekend with it so didnt have the time to try it out. But isnt the follow me function pretty much garbage? (sry dji)
2016-2-1
Use props
Dacke
lvl.1

Sweden

I had a rather boring week and decided to remake the video. Just thought that i would share it.
2017-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules