Editing Software (GoPro, iMovie, Final Cut Pro X)
2153 8 2016-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevencossio
lvl.1

United States

Team-
Wanted to know if anyone has used any of these for editing OSMO footage? GoPro, iMovie, Final Cut Pro X

Heres what im looking for:
I am simply making home vids of my kids and my travels. Nothing to fancy but im very particular with the quality of the end result video.

Mostly recording in 1080P 30 FPS, once in a while I will do 60 or 120 FPS for slow mo clips. **Dont have a need for 4K as I dont have devices or a TV that can playback 4K

Which of the 3 softwares I mentioned will work the best (user friendly) and provide me best quality:

The idea is to export it to a MP4 so I can play back on my Samsung Smart TV via USB drive and playback on apple devices as well as upload to youtube.
I Managed to get my hands on Final Cut Pro X and the export options are not known to me such as PRO-RES 422 and or QT only. Can only playback on a MAC.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has some tips and tricks for camera settings either Manual or Auto to capture some amazing sharp and clear looking clips let me know.
Thanks
2016-1-24
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi I'd use iMovie. Update to the latest version & it can edit 4k video. Then when your finished editing hit: File \ Share \ File...
Then I'd choose:
Resolution: 4k or 1080p
Quality: Best
Compress: Better Quality

Or you can share straight to youtube from move & play that back on your smart tv.
2016-1-25
Use props
stevencossio
lvl.1

United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-1-25 07:37
Hi I'd use iMovie. Update to the latest version & it can edit 4k video. Then when your finished edit ...

So if I DONT have a 4K TV... The 4K render I make in iMovie will work just fine on my Samsung smart TV?
2016-1-25
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

stevencossio@gm Posted at 2016-1-25 17:23
So if I DONT have a 4K TV... The 4K render I make in iMovie will work just fine on my Samsung smar ...
I'm not sure try it. I can play 4k video on my non 4k laptop.
Personally I always edit & export to the highest resolution so 4k. Then youtube will decide what resolution to play on the device.

If you did want an mp4 for the usb stick you could export at 1080p to be sure it will play on your tv.

Hope that helps.
2016-1-25
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

FCPX edits my 4k footage like a champ!
2016-1-25
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

in reply to your question regarding exporting from FCP X

You don't need to use Pro res 444/QT files, or any Pro res un-compressed/low compression file formats for your H264 Osmo footage.

You need to output from FCPX only H264 format, which will play back on your TV or any computer or device.

To make an MP4 for playback on your TV -
Once your project is ready to export, go to File > Share > Master file.
Then under Settings > Format > select 'Computer'
Video codec > H264 Better Quality.
And select your output resolution as 1080p (or 4K of you're working on a 4K project).
Then click Next and Save and you'll have an MP4 file to play back via USB on your TV.
2016-1-26
Use props
xmetienne
lvl.1

Tanzania

None of these... Use Adobe Premier Pro
2016-7-31
Use props
xmetienne
lvl.1

Tanzania

None of these... Use Adobe Premier Pro
2016-7-31
Use props
alansworld
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>

To xmetienne:

a) It's PremierE Pro.  Get your facts right.
b) Why?  The OP is clearly inexperienced so why recommend such a complex, expensive and overkill editor for his modest requirements?
c) The thread is 7 months old - don't you think the OP would be up and running with an editor by now?
d) Get a clue, or keep your ideas to yourself.
2016-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules