Topographical use PIX4D
9487 26 2015-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gmclamo
New

Spain

Hello
I currently have a phanton 2 v2 and am thinking about buy one Inspire 1.
My use will be topographical. We are learning how to use the Pix4d and some points that the phanton 2 cannot improve is critical.
1 the number of waypoints is important, the phanton 2 only supports 16, that is ridiculously little. Currently the inspire does not support to the Ground station, but I have said that in the future if it will do so.

Many waypoints will support in the future?.

How long will it take to be available waypoints for the inspire?.

It is possible set the camera of the inspire timelapse mode to take pictures in continuous mode?.

May be that is added to the photos taken EXIF information about the GPS position at the time that was taken, so no need to use applications like FLYTREX?

Do that about works series camera to take photos of 12 mp?

Camara Gopro is better video than photos.

the video camera of the inspire is best to making video to photos?

That such focuses the inspire 1 photos in motion?

Thanks a lot.
2015-1-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really need to look at a S900 with a A2 and a gimbal of your choice.  The Phantom and the Inspire right now will not meet your needs.
2015-1-2
Use props
gmclamo
New

Spain

please, anwer me about the questions that i have done. i would like to know all the questions that i have ask.

Thank you.
2015-1-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

gmclamo Posted at 2015-1-3 04:42
please, anwer me about the questions that i have done. i would like to know all the questions that i ...

I cannot as no one knows what the development plans are for the future.  I answered you in the best manner that I could.
2015-1-2
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm keenly interested in leveraging the Inspire images for Pix4D as well.  The key things are to capture images with sufficient overlap (70% or better), and secondly is to get good/accurate Geotagging of the images.
Currently the Inspire 1 has a few different photo shooting modes, but I don't recall continuous to be one.  It does however allow for the user to trigger a photo with the remote (which I don't think the phantoms can do), so programmatically an AP (leveraging an SDK for the Inspire, which isn't available yet) should be able to trigger photos at any desired time (which would need to be determined based on travel speed, height & desired ground resolution).  
While 16 Waypoints with a Phantom may seem a little low, remember you are working with a rotary wing, not a fixed wing,  Project areas will need to be smaller and aircraft airspeed will likely be slower.  I hope to use Oblique images from the Inspire to augment larger datasets captured at NADIR from a fixed wing UAV, thus producing more robust 3d point clouds.  So hopefully the Point of Interest (POI) function will allow for focused data collection around those facilities that have larger vertical elements that aren't fully represented by simply NADIR images.  It also sounds like ground station functionality is in the works, but just not released yet.
In an earlier online chat (during one of Pix4D's webinars) I asked if the software would be able to work with Inspire camera images, and was lead to believe it would.  As the production units are just now starting to ship, I'm sure the staff at Pix4D would be happy to help add the camera metrics to their library of supported cameras.
I know as soon as my Inspire arrives next week, I will be doing some tests to see how the images from the Inspire can be used with Pix4d.  Based on the fact that Pix4D was also a presenter at the Inspire announcement back in November, I'm sure they have staff WAY smarter than I am looking into it as well.  With a little faith, patience and perseverance, I'm sure the Inspire will be a good addition to the toolbox.

2015-1-2
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would expect to see many apps available for the Inspire. But at this point anything would be speculation. The product has just been released. Give the 3rd party devs some time.
2015-1-2
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

gmclamo Posted at 2015-1-3 04:42
please, anwer me about the questions that i have done. i would like to know all the questions that i ...

i am guessing engish is not your fist language? i say that because the questions as written are not clear (to me at least.)

2015-1-2
Use props
gmclamo
New

Spain

s.s.gibbs1@gmai Posted at 2015-1-3 14:04
i am guessing engish is not your fist language? i say that because the questions as written are no ...

correct, English is not my main language.
Simply, I have asked the responsible of DJI to please answer to me, if he knows the questions that I have done to him.
Sorry for my lack of expression, but when I wrote the previous answer, I was in hurry.

Anyway I am not satisfied with the response from the staff of DJI.

I want to know the future characteristics of the Inspire 1 and I am sure that if he takes the trouble to ask the development team, it is possible to answer the questions we do them. The questions are very simple answers and are not trade secret.
just take a little interest in answer and not give a poor response.
2015-1-3
Use props
Cyclops
lvl.2
United Kingdom

gmclamo Posted at 2015-1-3 17:42
correct, English is not my main language.
Simply, I have asked the responsible of DJI to please an ...

Tahoe_Ed  has answered your original question in a very clear and extremely polite manner. You need to buy a higher specification system to do what you want to do right now.

He also said that no one knows the development plans for the future.

The Inspire 1 is a prosumer machine, better and easier to use than the phantom series but only just capable of serious professional work.  But it is a very good value package in terms of the enhanced monitoring capability (built in Lightbridge) and overall ergonomic design.

You get what you pay for and if you want to carry out serious topographical survey work the Inspire 1 is not the right solution for you.
2015-1-3
Use props
gmclamo
New

Spain

Cyclops Posted at 2015-1-3 18:54
Tahoe_Ed  has answered your original question in a very clear and extremely polite manner. You nee ...

I'm sorry but I don't agree with the answer. When in the PIX4d page speak of the Phanton as a measuring tool is because the phanton perfectly meets specifications of developer of the program and the required topographic features.
However the naza M does not support more than 16 waypoints (I guess that it is a limitation of DJI to not overlap other controllers more costly).
I am convinced that if the phanton works perfectly, the Inspire 1, which costs 3 times more, it works at least as well.

I am asking about the future characteristics of the stabilization (of unknown specifications), about the number of waypoints and other features of the current camera.

i am sorry if  I've been somewhat abrupt, but I just try to know about the features of the model.
2015-1-3
Use props
brinicle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1532753 ft
South Korea

I'm being used for phantom v+ and pix4d. But it is a complaint for use as a phantom v+.
I recommend the product 3DR or ebee(senseFly).
2015-1-3
Use props
kkoole
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

The inspire should do the job just fine. You'll just have to wait untill it is released to be sure. I'm pretty sure the guys over at pix4d are just as eager to try it out, if they haven't already. In a month or 2 we'll have more answers.
2015-1-3
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I just noticed the Pix4D website (Under the "About" tab) includes an Inspire 1....This seems to hint that the Inspire 1 will work with their software.  I've done some test and can confirm the imagery works already, but the flight is done manually.  Just capture +70% overlap and there shouldn't be any problem.
Team-3a_web-820x324.jpg
2015-3-10
Use props
mike.ostrom
lvl.1

United States

DJI hasn't released the SDK for the Inspire yet, so Pix4D can't release support for it. My guess is that Pix4D will turn it around quickly once DJI releases the Inspire 1 SDK. The word on the street was that it would be released end of Feb so should be any day now.

2015-3-10
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really need to look at and understand "Tahoe Ed" and "Blade Strike's" posts. You are trying to get the answer that you want and at this point in time it is not possible. In the future, maybe? At this point in time no. The DJI Team is being honest with you.
2015-3-10
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

The Inspire 1 does a couple of weird things when it applies geotags to images.  Like the Vision+, it records the location of the image with degrees, minutes and seconds, but no decimal or partial seconds like this: DD°MM'SS.000" or 26°7'4.000".  What this does is quantize the precision of the tag to about 50m increments (depending on your location).  Unlike the Vision+ however, it does give nicely accurate altitude readings in the EXIF geotags.  The Vision+ leaves it blank.  This is why the Pix4D app requires that you fly at 50m AGL.  That way they know how high the images were taken.

Since the Inspire 1 gives a passable GPS location, the Inspire 1 will work with most mapping software, such as www.mapsmadeeasy.com or Pix4D, for aligning stitched images to the real world.  It won't be perfect, but it is pretty close since the tags are semi-accurate.

The other option is to use a georeferencing tool to align your images to a basemap or record control points manually.

Here is a comparison between the accuracy the standard EXIF geotags will provide vs manually entering 7 control points:
Inspire 1 Geotags vs Basemap Georeferencing
2015-3-31
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-4-1 00:22
The Inspire 1 does a couple of weird things when it applies geotags to images.  Like the Vision+, it ...

Great info.
Is there a way that we can have a live discussion?
I realize that your business may have invested some time in evaluating the I1 for this field and I would understand if you want to limit how much of it is "share-able".
Thanks,
Bogdan
2015-4-1
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

gmclamo Posted at 2015-1-3 19:55
I'm sorry but I don't agree with the answer. When in the PIX4d page speak of the Phanton as a mea ...

Oh.. For you Information, I do have PIX4d Discovery installed, and there is an option to chose the Inpire 1 as an UAV in Pix4d. There might not be a full support from Pix4d until DJI releases SDK for Inspire 1.

I tried to work with PIX4D - I did take photos of my house, 800 photos 30 m altitude, and PIX4d gave me a pretty nice orthomosaic map and DSM. Then I did a test, where I used a lot less pictures - 120pics also 30m altitude, and pix4d generated the same map.

What I want to do now is to take around 100 shots at 25, 35 and 50 meters, and in different times of the day, so all the parts of my house is well seen and there are no shadows on the generated picture.

However, I did add GCP points - 6 of them - 2cm accuracy and it produced the same results - no improvements. When I check Cameras - the point way below surface.. So I have a question for you - How do you add GCPs - I have the GCPS in degrees, but I think the height is calculated badly - I used WGS84 reference ellipsoid, maybe I need to convert it to something different - If you could help me, I would really appreciate it.

About Waypoints - I had no problem flying with the Inspire in a strait line at 2m/s speed, taking pictures manually. I took pics, turned around moved a few meters to the side and than back.. If you don't mind controlling your drone manually(until DJI releases automatic functions) I think it does a pretty good job.

Sky
2015-4-1
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-4-1 16:35
Oh.. For you Information, I do have PIX4d Discovery installed, and there is an option to chose the ...

Aloha sky wolf,
The issue you are experiencing with GCPs is related to two things.  First, I believe that the Z coordinates from the flight controller (and thus image geotags) are based on take off location, or more specifically height above takeoff and are likely coming from the barometer more than the GPS.  The second area of question is the GCPs you took.  Depending on the GPS, the quality of the data can vary.  You mention you estimated GCP accuracy at 2 centimeters which would lead me to believe that you were using a quality GPS and the data was differentially corrected. Do you know what vertical datum you used?  Converting from different vertical datums can lead to noticeable variance in Z results.
2015-4-1
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-1 16:09
Great info.
Is there a way that we can have a live discussion?
I realize that your business may ha ...

Sure Bornish.  We should probably take it offline and out of this thread anyway.  Start a new thread and send me a PM to the link.  I want to be able to answer questions publicly so people can read and learn.
2015-4-1
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

pinpointmapping Posted at 2015-4-2 01:55
Aloha sky wolf,
The issue you are experiencing with GCPs is related to two things.  First, I belie ...

1st thing: You are right about the Z coordinates. I checked the exif info and I got correct longitude latitude but the altitude was only 30meters - exactly the height I have flown. So this might be ther problem...
How do I correct it? Should I change altitude manually? I can do that via GeoSetter. What should be the value? The closest GCP point + 30 meters? which takes me to the second point.
Note: The Inspire 1(according to Pix4D) has a horizontal accuracy of 5meters and vertical accuracy 10meters

2nd thing: I got the GCP from the geodetic surveying of our house. The points were measured by a geodesist with professional tools. Since I'm from Slovakia, the coordinates of GCP were provided in Slovak standard form. I have a geodesist friend who converted the coordinates from the Slovak system to WGS84.. But he gave me 2 outputs:
Ellipsoid and and MAMSL(meters above sea level).. Which one should I use?? I tried to look at pix4d forum but they only mention WGS84...

Thanks a lot for your help. Easter is coming and I hope I can do some correct calculations on my rig

Sky

2015-4-1
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-4-2 06:19
Sure Bornish.  We should probably take it offline and out of this thread anyway.  Start a new thre ...

PM sent to your FB page (not profile as couldn't find one).
2015-4-1
Use props
blackhawk
New

United States

The GCP input as far as the Z coordinates is something I have been struggling with as well.  If you enter the correct elevation for the GCP's it puts them higher than the flight altitude since the flight altitude is measuring the distance the copter is from the ground.  Is there a way to tell the Inspire 1 that its home position is a certain elevation so the geotags have flight elevations and not altitude?
2015-4-9
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

I took some photos of a stockpile down at the local park and imported them into the trial version of Pix4d.
Just flew manually over the site and took heaps of photos, ensuring lots of overlap.

Never used Pix4d before , so just went with default everything, but here is the result.
stockpile 2.jpg
stockpile 3.jpg
2015-4-16
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-4-17 11:57
I took some photos of a stockpile down at the local park and imported them into the trial version of ...

First timer with PIX4d and you got those results? I am impressed. After struggling with VisualSFM and Meshlab softwares for orthomosaic rendering, I have tried to use Pix4d and am getting poor results. I am flying the F2V with the Pix4d Android app and set the pictures to trigger at 5mHoriz/3m Vert. I am getting mixed results with the stock P2V camera. I am thinking it may be a bad micro SD card as I have had erroneous messages from both the DJI app and the Pix4d app concerning the presence and size of the microSD card that was installed in the P2V camera. I have had the software stop unexpectedly and had to restart the picture taking. When the app failure occurs, the pictures taken are not bundled up by the app and transferred to the phone(with the do not turn off the drone message). Once a successful mission has been completed, and I download the mission into my big computer with PIX4d and run it, I am now getting an error concerning the calibration of the camera. Thanks for creating this thread....Peace
2015-5-4
Use props
josealb55
lvl.1

Spain

blackhawk Posted at 2015-4-10 06:41
The GCP input as far as the Z coordinates is something I have been struggling with as well.  If you  ...

Did you find a good solution for this?

I had the same problem and made a small C# program to translate AGL altitude (above ground level) to ASL altitude (Above Sea Level) which is the GPS reference. I simply add the ASL altitude of the take off point to the variometer readings in the photo's EXIF

I am reprocessing right now to see if I get better results

2015-7-14
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568819 ft
Germany

neil.printmaxx Posted at 2015-5-4 23:51
First timer with PIX4d and you got those results? I am impressed. After struggling with VisualSFM  ...

This is my first time result of a scenery outside of my local airfield:

Testflight
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules