Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin odd tilt balance.
3856 9 2014-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matt
New

United States

I'm pretty good at balancing generally. Just this odd quirk. Is the system just really that exact? Ive gotten the camera to stay at all tilt positions except either rotated backwards or forwards.
For some reason I cannot seem to get it precise enough to stay at those points. If the front stays and doesn't move then the back does. If rotated towards the back it doesn't move, then the front does.

I've made sure the bar aligns to the same points on each side however I'm wondering if I should lock down one side and instead of making it exact on the other side, let it sit where it sits and lock it down where it is on the left side.
I've attempted adjusting the camera as position on the bar as well. That might be the issue. However in doing both for a few hours I wasn't getting anywhere. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks!
2014-9-25
Use props
matt
New

United States

Ok got it working... Well sort of... Won't auto stabilize but with settings lower than 14 stiffness it works at least.

Anything higher the engine for the tilt makes this horrible vibration. It keeps telling me it needs to be balanced however as far as I can tell it is. Does everything its supposed to except for a slight slight dip for maybe 1-2 degrees on the rotate and same slight pull up on 120 degrees on the backwards tilt.
I would think that would be good enough. In any case, making some headway its at least usable at this point.
2014-9-26
Use props
matt
New

United States

I should also state I am using it with the 5d Mark II and a 35mm lens.
2014-9-26
Use props
matt
New

United States

I dont know, im about to give up. The tilt and pan are perfect now. But the roll wont stabilize for every position so I dont know maybe I just got a defective one.

Also the auto stabilize will still not work.
2014-9-26
Use props
matt
New

United States

Ok well added weight helps. It appears it may have been too light. It stays at every position however the auto stabilize still does not work. The tilt motor is definitely still putting up a fight as it can cause vibrations and distinctly more noise at around 30 stiffness.

Any help would be appreciated at this point.
2014-10-5
Use props
matt
New

United States

I'll post a video later in case there's any doubt's of as to whether its really balanced or not.
2014-10-5
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.3

China

matt@rebelmm.co Posted at 2014-10-6 06:26
I'll post a video later in case there's any doubt's of as to whether its really balanced or not.

Hi Sir,
Did you used the lens support?
That is so important for Ronin
2014-10-12
Use props
dylan
lvl.1
United States

i had the same problem with my 5D when I first set it up. It was very stiff out of the box and I couldn't tell if the roll was balanced. It would stay wherever I placed it in any roll position but then the auto-calibration would say I needed to rebalance. The trick for me was to jump into 'view' and see which direction the roll was off by looking at the graph. I'd kill the motor, make a small adjustment and then compare. Once I used it a bit, the stiffness loosened up and now it's easier to balance. I also ran a C100 and Black Magic Cinema on it for a while so I'm sure those heavier payloads helped break it in.
2014-10-25
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.3

China

dylan@dylangloc Posted at 2014-10-26 01:25
i had the same problem with my 5D when I first set it up. It was very stiff out of the box and I cou ...

HI Sir,Try this video: http://www.dji.com/product/ronin/video
DJI - Preparing and Balancing Your Ronin
2014-10-27
Use props
dylan
lvl.1
United States

I left off the lens support once and it would not balance... added the lens support back and it balanced immediately. Always use lens support.
2015-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules