video edit start up
1044 13 2016-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

Have a new Phantom 3 pro.  Runs great. Takes nice videos. Only had it up a couple of times.  Problem comes when I try to import videos into the editing software.  I import the videos straight from the sim card onto the computer and they run well when I play back.   I have VSDC video editor on my computer.  When I import the videos for editing they appear to be in the program, but when I try to actually run the videos to do some editing they either appear as a black screen or it looks like a still frame showing the 1st frame of the video.  Am I missing something?  My only guess is that the formats are not in sync.  I am not really knowledgable regarding formats or configurations is there something I can do to make the videos actually run in the program?  By the way I was able to use the DJI go app on my Apple 6 phone and upload a crude video to facebook, but am looking for a little more creativity that should come with a more robust editing software.

2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The problem will relate to your video editing software and/or your computer. Handling 4K material is not well supported by all video editing programs and many computers cannot handle it properly either. You can use programs such as VLC Media Player to play them back OK, but editing requires much more horsepower.
2016-1-26
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-26 19:31
The problem will relate to your video editing software and/or your computer. Handling 4K material is ...

ok makes sense, how do I correct this?  Add more memory to my computer?
2016-1-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

"More power, Scottie"
2016-1-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

jjvolpone Posted at 2016-1-27 12:55
ok makes sense, how do I correct this?  Add more memory to my computer?

No, it is probably more serious than that, you need a more powerful processor, multi-core for a start, and possible a decent GPU Card, then some SSDs to speed up the throughput.

The issue here is quite common, people see '4K' and think wonderful, I want that. But they do not realise it is not a given that there old laptop of desk machine is not going to hack it.
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

simple and free- windows movie maker, imovie
professional and payed- Final Cut and Adobe Premier
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-27 12:41
No, it is probably more serious than that, you need a more powerful processor, multi-core for a st ...

You don't really need a super computer to work with video unless you are doing 4K.
Mac Retina 13' 2015 middle version  works smooth with final cut  and 1080 videos
2016-1-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 20:15
You don't really need a super computer to work with video unless you are doing 4K.
Mac Retina 13' ...

Tim, from the symptoms the OP was reporting, I suspect he is using 4K.
2016-1-27
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-27 04:15
Mac Retina 13' ...

The Phantom 3 pro does use 4K .  My laptop is pretty new but will I need to add a GPU card and I am not sure what SSD is.  What will I need to obtain to gain the necessary speed.  By the way thanks for the help!
2016-1-27
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

jjvolpone Posted at 2016-1-27 12:54
The Phantom 3 pro does use 4K .  My laptop is pretty new but will I need to add a GPU card and I a ...

I guess what I'm asking for are the actual specs I may need to upgrade my laptop to be able to run one of these editing programs.  Would you be able to supply those specs?
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

jjvolpone Posted at 2016-1-28 03:54
The Phantom 3 pro does use 4K .  My laptop is pretty new but will I need to add a GPU card and I a ...

SSD is solid state drive , its the new format for fast hard drives with no moving parts and very fast at reading and writing data .

Most of the big name video editors allow you to proxy the 4k file you are working on so that its rendering a much lower res file during editing and only when you output does it render full res ., this takes a big load of your system and editor .

On laptops the graphics card is onboard the motherboard meaning you cant upgrade it without changing the motherboard , not much you can do to laptops because everthing in onboard , desktops you can change component hardware to soup it up .

http://www.videomaker.com/articl ... system-requirements
2016-1-27
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

RodB Posted at 2016-1-27 16:04
SSD is solid state drive , its the new format for fast hard drives with no moving parts and very f ...

Wow, the article you linked was  very informative.  There is a lot to consider when trying to edit  4k videos.  Why is that not really talked about in the advertisements?  It would be nice to know that you may need a $3,500 computer to actually be a little creative.
2016-1-27
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

jjvolpone Posted at 2016-1-28 08:34
Wow, the article you linked was  very informative.  There is a lot to consider when trying to edit ...

Thats the trouble with technology you need real power to run it .

Most of gaming computers do a great job of video editing .

Intel Quad Core  , fast GPU supporting cuda and plenty of ram and your good to go  , will cost 2k up depending on specs .
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

RodB Posted at 2016-1-28 07:25
Thats the trouble with technology you need real power to run it .

Most of gaming computers do a g ...

yeah, for 2K you can get a great PC
2016-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules