Color Grading Test Using LUTS files
1300 8 2016-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I was experimenting with obtaining different looks by playing around with color grading using some LUTS files. For this video I applied an orange/teal LUTS since I thought it would enhance the rust and metal roofs of the buildings. I used the LUTS as is with minimal correction so it is a bit extreme. Of course this look can be changed and made more subtle with further adjustments. Or the feel of the video can be changed by applying a different LUT.

For comparison, I left the beginning of the clip as the uncorrected LOG video with the LUT applied at about 0:15.

It's nothing special and a bit rough. I used some throw away footage I shot when trying out the POI feature a few months ago. I did not pay any attention to camera settings or use ND filters since I was only testing the new feature at the time.

I just wanted to throw something quick together showing how LUTS can transform your video beyond normal color grading to enhance the mood of a video. The LOG feature on the Phantom is great since it gives you a wide amount of creative freedom.

Created in FCPX using Pixel Film Studios free FCPX LUT Loader.

Thank you.

2016-1-27
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I like the footage, as well as your grading effect.   Slightly off topic but where did you find the audio track that accompanies your video and how did you choose it?
2016-1-27
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-1-27 13:03
I like the footage, as well as your grading effect.   Slightly off topic but where did you find the  ...

Thank you. Still playing around. I might add a little grain to make it a little less sharp to give it a more cinematic feel since I did not shoot at 2x frame rate I think. Even on a dumb little video like this, I can't stop until I feel I've got it right.

To answer your question, I have a wide ranging taste in music. So I listen to a lot of different sources. I often start with a piece of music I like and then build a film around it. When I am assembling clips, I will drag in various music to see if I like how it fits. This one started with two different tracks before I settled on the one used in the video.

For video, some of my inspirations are the always great KCRW Eclectic 24 (Santa Monica public radio all music) that I stream. Excellent DJs, but no talk at all except for prerecorded station breaks.  Also, various Apple Music chill and ambient radio stations or I create a station based on a certain song or artist that I have discovered. That leads me to new discoveries.

The music for this short video is "Let My Key Be C (Thriller Edit)" by Nils Fromm and Ann Muller.
2016-1-27
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-27 12:21
Thank you. Still playing around. I might add a little grain to make it a little less sharp to give  ...

Awesome, great tips!  I'm just getting into making/editing videos and I'm always at a loss for good audio to accompany it.  This gives me a good starting point and admittedly I will have to open my musical horizons but now I have a start! Thanks!
2016-1-27
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-1-27 13:30
Awesome, great tips!  I'm just getting into making/editing videos and I'm always at a loss for goo ...

You know it is a whole package. Audio is important as video. The right audio can really set the proper mood for a video or it can totally ruin it.

I think that the music for this video makes it look somewhat somber and lonely. The soundtrack makes the buildings look as forgotten as they really are. Turn the volume all the way down and you just have someone farting around with a drone.
2016-1-27
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-27 12:36
You know it is a whole package. Audio is important as video. The right audio can really set the pro ...

I am starting to see this.   I like your approach of starting with a track you like and then building the film around it.  I'm excited to try this in my free time, thanks again!!
2016-1-27
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-1-27 13:48
I am starting to see this.   I like your approach of starting with a track you like and then build ...

Looking froward to seeing your work!
2016-1-27
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

"Created in FCPX using Pixel Film Studios free FCPX LUT Loader. "

Thanks for the great tips. Extra big thanks for the free LUT loader reference. That is a big help.

FYI to others... there are several free LUT files available online that can be a great starting point for color grading (can event be a one-click solution depending on your needs).
2016-1-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-28 11:35
"Created in FCPX using Pixel Film Studios free FCPX LUT Loader. "

Thanks for the great tips. Extra  ...

Exactly! Just Google "free LUTS" and you can pick up a few to play around with. There are quite a few good ones out for purchase at reasonable prices if you feel it is something for you.

There are also good videos explaining how to load and use them in FCPX, Adobe Premier and the excellent FREE DaVinci Resolve which is considered to be on of the best color grading applications available.
2016-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules