Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
showing map view without internet ?
5379 19 2015-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daninho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

my question regarding owners of non cellular tablets would be how can they show the "map data" within the Inspire App? I mean the tablet has no connection to the internet or will the DJI App store the complete google map data for lets say germany on the ipad?

2015-1-3
Use props
markosb1
lvl.1

United States

They should use maps.me for the maps, so a user can download states or areas for true offline work.
2015-1-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can download the maps and cache them on your device.  Make sure that you expand to the lowest level that way you will have the highest resolution.
2015-1-3
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Germany

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-4 00:54
You can download the maps and cache them on your device.  Make sure that you expand to the lowest le ...

is there are special app for downlaoding those maps? Are those normal google maps?  Can i select a country or lets say a state only?
2015-1-3
Use props
abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed, rather than caching maps on a non-cellular (wifi-only) iPad, is it possible to tether the iPad to an iPhone using the iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature?
2015-1-3
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Germany

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-4 03:40
Tahoe_Ed, rather than caching maps on a non-cellular (wifi-only) iPad, is it possible to tether the  ...

i think this could influence the inspire because the hot spot is a Wifi or bluetooth connection, right?
2015-1-3
Use props
abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-4 03:47
i think this could influence the inspire because the hot spot is a Wifi or bluetooth connection, r ...

Yes, it could be a wifi or Bluetooth connection from the iPad to the iPhone. But I don't see why that should cause a problem or interfere with the inspire, unless the inspire is connecting to the same iPad through wifi or Bluetooth, but I don't believe that's the case sine it is connected via USB cable.
2015-1-3
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Germany

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-4 04:03
Yes, it could be a wifi or Bluetooth connection from the iPad to the iPhone. But I don't see why t ...

u mean you can connect the iphone and ipad with USB to use the hotspot function? I guess the USB port is already in use to connect to the inspire remote controller. Well, i can only speak for the Phantoms and those are pretty sensitive to other WIFI networks since those use 2.4GHZ remote controllers, at least the normal P2 version.
2015-1-3
Use props
abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-4 04:07
u mean you can connect the iphone and ipad with USB to use the hotspot function? I guess the USB p ...

Here's what I mean: the iPad connects to the Inspire via USB. The iPad then connects to the iPhone's cellular service via WiFi or Bluetooth to access Google Maps. This would not work on a Phantom since the Phantom connects to the mobile device (i.e. the iPad) via WiFi, and the iPad only supports a single WiFi connection at a time. But since the Inspire connects to the iPad via USB, the iPad's WiFi connection should be available to connect to the iPhone and thereby access Google Maps. Sensitivity to WiFi signals should not be an issue. If it were, Phantoms and Inspires would be falling out of the sky all the time since today's airwaves are full of WiFi signals everywhere.
2015-1-3
Use props
abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-4 05:02
Here's what I mean: the iPad connects to the Inspire via USB. The iPad then connects to the iPhone ...

Here's what I mean:
Inspire Remote<---USB--->iPad<---WiFi--->iPhone<---cellular--->Google Maps
2015-1-3
Use props
Joola
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1696545 ft
United States

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-4 06:12
Here's what I mean:
Inspire RemoteiPadiPhoneGoogle Maps

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. It'd be no different than flying your inspire indoors while your iPad is connected to your local WiFi network.
2015-1-3
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Germany

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-4 05:02
Here's what I mean: the iPad connects to the Inspire via USB. The iPad then connects to the iPhone ...

remember you should not fly with the phantoms near WIFI hotspots and you have to deactivate the Gopro WIFI signal. Many fly aways near houses are probably because of strong wifi signals. The Phantom had a 2.4GHZ controller and thats why the phantom crashed or freaked out when you start the Gopro Wifi. In the case of the inspire you will have iphone with wifi in your pockets, thats why i asked, because its pretty near to the remote controller. I have the phantom series since mid 2013 and i read many fly away stories in that time. Thats why im a bit sensitive about that, i mean its a 3000 dollar copter. I would prefer to pre store the map of germany for example to the ipad, it depends on how much MB/GB it would be.
2015-1-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wifi is 2.4gHz, the same frequency that the Inspire is on.  I would not advise it as you could have interference.  You could connect and cache the map at the field then turn the hotspot off.  That would work.
2015-1-3
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think it stores a fair bit of the map data.
I did an experiment with ipad air, no GPS, no cell.
Hit the inbuilt imaps flag with WiFi on.
Then switched Wifi off and returned to imaps and the maps were still there.
Only thing different was that it no longer showed my location.
The Compass effect was still active.
With the GPS built into the remote perhaps that uses the ipad map data and overlays its location.
2015-1-4
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Here's what I do ... I link my iPad mini 2 to my iPhone's Hotspot in settings on the iPhone power everything up on location once the map locates and shows up on the pilot app on my iPad I then  set the iPad to airplane mode , then turn my iPhone's hotspot off and fly , or I can power down the bird and fly later ..  How do you cache a map at home before ya go to an area without wifi or cell phone service ?  
2015-6-13
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

daver/m Posted at 2015-6-14 02:16
Here's what I do ... I link my iPad mini 2 to my iPhone's Hotspot in settings on the iPhone power ev ...

You cache the area you are going to (at home when you have wifi/internett connection) before you go out flying
2015-6-13
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

If you forget to cache the maps of where you intend to fly the night before of before you leave your wifi area, you can use your iPhone or other phone as a hot spot when you arrive at your flight  site.  I have done this before and it works fine.  

Once on site simply use your iPone  etc. to open a hot spot ad connect with your iPad device, open the iPad DJI Pilot App etc it will automatically locate your position, then just zoom into the area you intend to fly move around the map a little so that it caches a good area, then simply switch off the phone and place iPad into airplane mode.  Provided you have cached maps in background switched on within the iOS App the maps will then be there.

Works fine, but best to do it before you set off for your intended flight site.
2015-6-13
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-14 06:50
If you forget to cache the maps of where you intend to fly the night before of before you leave your ...

Right, I do exactly that , iPhone hotspot to iPad....I'll try to cache the map at home for the non cell service
area I'm going to with the 1 .. I've flown it before using a p2 gopro 600mw video tx with fpv goggles filming ice caves , 300+ ft shear rock wall with waterfalls....
I could just as easy go without the map running my inspire with the fpv  cam view which is my personal choice for piloting anyways , nice to have the map too so I'll try caching it.
2015-6-13
Use props
nathanwambold
New
Flight distance : 2192198 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-3 10:54
You can download the maps and cache them on your device.  Make sure that you expand to the lowest le ...

How and where?
2016-1-15
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-3 11:54

My question is if the device gets turn off can we still use the Maps cache?
2016-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules