12Next >
2883 54 2016-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Yesterday,  I planned and executed a perfect waypoint flight using the Litchi app.  Naturally,  having one successful attempt under my belt,  I now considered myself an expert.  Since I actually had a task I needed to get done,  namely mapping out the locations of various vehicles and other junk on the property,  I decided to do it with my P3Advanced using Litchi and the waypoints.  I carefully planned the flight track,  using Google Earth to verify ground height so I could program the desired height above ground level for each waypoint.  I wanted the entire flight at about 10 feet agl for the best perspective,  but I added a couple of extra feet for safety.  Did not want to autonomously fly into a rock pile,  car or bush.   There was only one point where I came near any power lines,  and I carefully adjusted those 2 waypoints to go under the power lines by a good 8 feet.  And I did , in fact,  clear the power lines by about 8 feet.  What I did not clear was the telephone line.  It hangs just about 8 feet below the power line on the same pole.  And of course,  the P3 and the telephone line did not get along well together.    To make a long,  humiliating emotionally painful story short,  it busted 3 props and snapped the camera gimbal off right at the weak point where it attaches to the swivel in the base.   The camera lens got scratched quite a bit,  but the ribbon cable, oddly enough,  looks okay.  Some bits of sand and rock in the motors,  I am pretty sure that will come out with some canned air pressure. No cracks in the body that I can see.

Now,  I also have a Standard.  I am wondering if the gimbal from the Standard can be used on the Advanced.  I know the camera is different,  but the gimbal?  Anyone know the answer to this?  Also,  does anyone know what the camera and gimbal assembly cost?

I am so mad at myself,  I may strap myself into an uncomfortable chair and prop my eyes open with toothpicks and force myself to watch endless reruns of the republican debate.
2016-1-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I am sorry to hear what happened. However I am torn between sadness and outright mirth at this:

"I am so mad at myself,  I may strap myself into an uncomfortable chair and prop my eyes open with toothpicks and force myself to watch endless reruns of the republican debate."

Please, there is no need for self-mutilation.

Unfortunately, to add to your pain, the gimbal is not cheap: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-advanced-hd-camera

One thing that has nagged at me for some time is the issue of the gimbal mount breaking off. I figure the main gimbal electronics and camera may survive quite well, so there is a real need for DJI to provide the arm section as a spare. They might do so, but I cannot find it.

2016-1-28
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Sorry about the incident.  I do myself and I have a good friend who does even more than me, very carefully pre-plan flights.  Unfortunately not everything is on the maps we use or accurate enough to rely on in some cases.  I try, whenever possible, to visually see as much of the flight route as possible just for this reason.  Can't plan for something you didn't see.  But when I am not sure for whatever reason, it is either altitude is my friend and I don't get the shot or I just don't try that point and move on to the next.

Sorry I can't specifically answer your question.  I don't know enough about the standard.  Oh and scrap the toothpicks idea.  Not worth it and you will just end up with these ugly dents in your face that you will have to explain for the next three weeks until they disappear.
2016-1-28
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

i don't think so. I know the Professional version has the SD card built into the top of the Gimbal and I assume that the Advanced is the same way? If so, the standard has the SD card slot built into the actual camera so the Gimbals are not compatible.
2016-1-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I'm surprised you managed to get that far at those altitudes http://forum.dji.com/thread-40434-1-1.html
2016-1-28
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Crackers! Sorry to hear that.

And yes, many times after see the results of my movies, I realize that I was over confident.

Hopefully you will publish the movie at some point.
2016-1-28
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Just be glad it was not an ultralight and you were the pilot...we would have never heard your side of it all.
Glad you are safe!..The Phantoms can be repaired...

Note to self in preflight...Check Telephone line height as well as Power line height in future..
2016-1-28
Use props
dengaiser
lvl.1

United States

for a gimbal repair kit go to Taco-rc.com
2016-1-28
Use props
goldchucker.wav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

dengaiser Posted at 2016-1-28 21:14
for a gimbal repair kit go to Taco-rc.com

Kneepuck:

You are only human.  I ran a CNC milling machine for about 16 years.  I wrote the programs for each part I made.  One miscalculation and the machine crashed and things broke.  Stuff happens.  We hopefully learn by our mistakes.  Your post should help others keep from making the same misjudgement.  Good luck with finding a repair solution.

Chuck
2016-1-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Paniza Posted at 2016-1-28 15:52
Crackers! Sorry to hear that.

And yes, many times after see the results of my movies, I realize tha ...

Here is my shame,  for all the world to laugh at:
2016-1-28
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

That looks very much like Arizona...sorry you crashed...
2016-1-28
Use props
goldchucker.wav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

There is nothing to laugh at.  I never saw a persons mishap something to laugh at.  Pick up the pieces and your spirit and forge ahead.

chuck.
2016-1-28
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
France

nothing to laugh - thanks for sharing we all learn from it - for sure!

2016-1-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

koine777 Posted at 2016-1-28 22:50
That looks very much like Arizona...sorry you crashed...

Pretty  close,  Southern California mountains.
2016-1-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Ordered a new camera and gimbal assembly.  An expensive mistake.  $359.00 usd for the camera/gimbal, new OEM Dji parts.  It occurs to me,  those parts cost 359.  The remote controller is supposedly 650.00.  Those two parts cost as much as the entire advanced.  So I guess the best thing to do is break the P3 only.  Because it must be free.  Just don't injure the camera,  gimbal or remote and you will be fine.  But wait,  the battery is $150.00 and 20 bucks for a set of props.  This is like dealing in auto parts.  A car is worth 10 times as much in parts as fully assembled.   Or maybe this is like buying a printer.  60 bucks out of the box ready to use,  but wait till you buy new ink cartridges.  It's the consumables that they hit you for.  So,  Camera,  gimbal, and r/c should be considered consumables??  I dunno.  I'm rambling and still in shock.  I'll be fine once the new parts are installed and I am flying again.  Until then,  I will have to be happy with the ( ho-hum ) Standard.
2016-1-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry to hear that! Please send your drone back to DJI for the repair
2016-1-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 06:31
https://youtu.be/BBoViHpJzhA

Wow...that looked very close to lots of stuff.  Could you see the drone while it was flying or just FPV?  I imagine even if you were watching it you'd struggle to see it was going to crash.  Distances become difficult to judge very quickly, especially things like power lines.
2016-1-29
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sad story of failed mission aside, I must confess my admiration for your writing style and class. Rare talent in the era of thumb-writing ...
2016-1-29
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 02:31

I's like watching a horror movie...! Was your device ok?
2016-1-29
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Bermuda

That's a shame - but I like the way you take responsibility and don't blame DJI for all of your mistakes. Thanks for the warning - a lot of the poles here (Bermuda) are strung that way!
2016-1-29
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Knee,

Really saddened to see your note. Very happy to see your honesty, you're a better man than me! Now, you can consider yourself an "expert"! An expert learns through experience, seems to me you've got some good (bad) experience and you'll get much more before you're in the air again.

I made a similar error in judgement a bit ago myself and I'm a big-time pre-planner. I spent a few days putting together several multi-mile waypoint runs. I went over and over them to insure that I had everything covered. I picked a perfect time to go to the site to make the runs a few weeks later. I ran all four runs flawlessly! They were absolutely perfect! I was elated!

My Wife (of 30 years) was with me and suggested that I try one more run at a much lower altitude. I actually said to her "No, I got what I wanted and it was perfect!", she in turn explained what she had in mind and how great it would be. I thought about it, looked at what she was descibing and thought "Wow, that would be a cool shot!". I got really nervous and the adrenaline started to pump (should have been the hint), I could just make one more quick run since I was already there. We went back to my truck where, for the very first (and last) time, I put together a quick run. I'm sure you've already figured out the rest of the story. The run didn't go as hastily planned, I missed a low hanging tree, 30' above concrete. Bird was destroyed. I now own a P3Pro Main Board with four damaged motors hanging off of it.

I am a perfectionist, I preplan and replan, over and over again. Excitement for "the shot" and not listening to my gut, did me in. Entirely my fault and for a veteran "expert" like me, a very damaged, embarrassed and bruised ego. For an hour or two, I almost through in the towel. 48 hours later, and with encouragement from my Wife and Friend #3 (who already posted here about planning) had a brand new P3Pro sitting in front of me.

I'm now over it and back in the air with the always steady P2V+, my Solo and my newer, firmware jacked, P3Pro, just waiting for breaks in this horrible weather. I have gone back to planning and replanning and have learned all too well that making complex, gut runs on the fly doesn't work. I won't do that again!

Knee, keep your head up, learn what you can from your rebuild and jump back in the air. There are thousands of stories similar to ours out there but they aren't shared very often. You're a good dude and a great contributor, keep on keeping on!

Jerry
2016-1-29
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 00:31

Knee,

That, my friend, was one risky run!

Jerry
2016-1-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 01:31

That is a real bummer
2016-1-29
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 01:31

Nice place and video dude!

Nothing to laugh... it can happens to any of us.
2016-1-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-29 00:31

I watched your video and if you added scary music I would have expected Charlie Manson to jump out !  It looks like Spawn Ranch.

It was also hard to watch knowing a hard earned expensive aircraft was going to bite it.  I am sorry for your accident.  Also No disrespect regarding the Manson comment.

Cheers- Donnie
2016-1-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.  After (some of ) a nights sleep and time to reflect,  I realize it could have been worse.  As it was,  it ended up costing the price of a new camera and gimbal and 4 props.  No humans were harmed in the making of this disaster.  Except for pride and wallet, of course.
The part that bothers me most is that I had done the exact flight the day before,  albeit at 30 meters altitude.  And it was flawless.  As I mentioned in the original post,  the purpose of the flight was to map out and itemize all the stuff on the property.  This is quite a big job,  because the property is 150 acres,  and much of it has stuff on it,  much more than the short video shows.  Yes,  it is kind of a good setting for a horror movie.  Over 35 cars and trucks.  Well over 200 motorcycles.  Essentially,  50 years worth of collecting things by a packrat who never threw anything away.  This video started at the beginning of the " collection ".  The end point was near the home point.  All preprogrammed altitudes were referenced from the home point.  I was on the roof of the house,  wearing FPV goggles.  So, I had a front row seat.  The previous flight I had expected to be the only flight as it covered the entire area right where I wanted it to be.  But my attorney,  after reviewing the video,  suggested it might be better at lower altitude,  specifically at about head height.  This to make identification and evaluation much easier.  Being flush with success from the first flight,  and having never been known for an excess of prudence,  I agreed.  After all,  what could go wrong?  Did I mention,  abject stupidity is my prevailing trait,  it seems.
In any event,  I did get the video,  shot more or less how the lawyer advised.  I did it by carrying my Sony HD videocam  around in my hand,  using my legs for locomotion.  What would have been a flight of 2 1/2 minutes became a strenuous hike of over 20 minutes with my arm extended above my head the whole way,  like one of those mystics in India who keep their arm above their head their entire life to show devotion to their gods.  I must have looked liked a madman,  trying to position myself to keep my shadow out of the video; not easy to do in the late afternoon California sunlight.  I spent a lot of time walking backwards,  spinning around and playing hide and seek with my shadow.  Unfortunately,  my dog felt no such obligation,  so the entire video has her making cameo appearances.  This video is going to be seen in a public courtroom setting.  And I will be there for everyone to think, " That dummy!  He should have got himself one of those flying cameras to do this with.  Nice looking dog, though".
Oh well,  I guess it was a nice day for a walk.

2016-1-29
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Bermuda

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-1-29 09:58
Knee,

Really saddened to see your note. Very happy to see your honesty, you're a better man than me ...

That's what this site is best at - honest, positive advice and learning from others' mistakes. Thanks for sharing!
2016-1-29
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

That sure looked like it was going to clear!
2016-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2016-1-30 04:57

I thought so too.  I was wearing the goggles and saw it as it happened and I really thought it would clear.  But the P3 did a ( programmed ) slight climb to clear a rock pile and that is what screwed the pooch.
After reviewing the first video again,  I realized I should have told the lawyer it was fine.  It conveyed the problem very well.  But no,  alas,  I flew the fatal mission and the rest is history. The purpose of the video is for a court case I am involved in.  I needed to be able to show how much stuff was on a piece of property.  The first run,  shot at 30 meters,  is here:

2016-1-30
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-30 07:26
I thought so too.  I was wearing the goggles and saw it as it happened and I really thought it wou ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Ouch!  Sorry to hear about the disaster, but happy to hear there is a resolution.  I hope you win the case!  That is going to be one big clean-up job!  Anything salvageable?  Maybe when you are done we can talk about switching places.  It has nice potential judging from the 30 meter video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-30 13:29
Aloha Kneepuck,

Ouch!  Sorry to hear about the disaster, but happy to hear there is a resolu ...

Plenty salvageable.  A 1962 Porsche 356 b.  A 1929 Ford Model A.  A bunch of pick-ups from the 40's and 50's.  A lot of classic motorcycles.  All kinds of stuff.  But it all has to go before the county shows up.  
2016-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-31 09:13
Plenty salvageable.  A 1962 Porsche 356 b.  A 1929 Ford Model A.  A bunch of pick-ups from the 40' ...

Sounds like it might make a good episode of 'American Pickers' ...
2016-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-30 14:36
Sounds like it might make a good episode of 'American Pickers' ...

You are probably right.  There is literally over 50 years of stuff here.  The fellow who died never ever threw anything away.  You should see inside the house.

Meanwhile,  I flew the Advanced today without the camera and everything seems to be ok.  Other than the destroyed camera.  It flew straight and true,  no wobbles or weird noises.  I am very relieved about that.  The camera and gimbal assembly will be here Monday and all will be good as new.  
There I go being optimistic again.
2016-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-31 10:08
You are probably right.  There is literally over 50 years of stuff here.  The fellow who died neve ...

Did you search the house? He may have had a spare camera and gimbal in there.

Seriously, I hope it works out for you.
2016-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-30 15:15
Did you search the house? He may have had a spare camera and gimbal in there.

Seriously, I h ...

Oh yeah,  and he had some very interesting things,  but no  P3 parts.
2016-1-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2016-1-30 06:57

When you fly, remember, the camera is one of the lowest things on the craft and the props are the highest things on the craft.  It's a bit like putting your eyes on your ankles and ducking under a short doorway.  Ouch!
2016-1-30
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-1-30 18:46
When you fly, remember, the camera is one of the lowest things on the craft and the props are the  ...

Ha ha ha... good visual!
2016-1-31
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-30 12:13
Plenty salvageable.  A 1962 Porsche 356 b.  A 1929 Ford Model A.  A bunch of pick-ups from the 40' ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Is this a probate case or something?  So the entire 150 acres has to be cleared?  If so, that is going to be a really nice spread.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-31
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-31 23:23
Aloha Kneepuck,

Is this a probate case or something?  So the entire 150 acres has to be clea ...

Hi Cetaman,

Yes,  that is exactly what it is.  And it is a beautiful place.  Very dramatic,  near the edge of a cliff on a very deep canyon.  At the right altitude to normally be bearable temperature most of the year,  especially compared to down the hill where summertime temps often exceed 120 f.   
2016-2-1
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-28 20:42
Just be glad it was not an ultralight and you were the pilot...we would have never heard your side o ...
"Note to self in preflight...Check Telephone line height as well as Power line height in future.."

Don't use a metal tape measure to do that!
2016-2-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules