Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wi-fi range extender - bricked post Android update - Phantom 2 V+
12Next >
13583 72 2016-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sburman
New

Australia

I use the Android app (DJI Vision) and it recieved an update a few days ago. On first use after the app upgrade, the app attempted to push an upgrade to the wi-fi extender.

At first it failed, then it worked and then next time I started the app it said it still needed to upgrade. Needless to say I was lacking a little confidence in what had just occurred.

Now, I fear that the range extender is bricked.

Symptoms:
- After powering on, the 'System' light on the range extender is completely inactive (The power light is green and activated)
- There is no available Wi-Fi network available to connect to. This effectively renders the app as useless.
- The reset (rebind?) button on the extender has no effect.

The drone can be flown successfully via remote but without the wi-fi network and a functioning app with telemetry it is effectively of no use to me.

Repair options
------
- I was hopeful to be able to connect to the range extender USB port and somehow re-install firmware to a working capacity. (I have no idea, how to do this - or if it is even possible)
- Buy a new range extender part and rebind to my drone.

Are there any other options available to me? Has anyone else had issues with the upgrade process since the new Android app version was released?

Cheers. I need to get back in the air as soon as possible.
2016-1-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Wow, this is crazy,
you are the third or so in the past few days to exhibit range extender problems,
Wonder if the others were using Android as well,

I have never heard or seen of an update for the range extender....

Curious if someone else can chime in...
2016-1-29
Use props
thepoho
lvl.1

Australia

Having same issues here. Nexus 5 android phone.  Have put my deets in other thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-41279-1-1.html
So glad it is happening to other people (well not happy that other people are having issues but at least if i'm not the only one maybe something will be fixed about it!)

As far as I can tell a new version of the app was released to the play store on 26th jan.  Maybe that's got the problem.  I've submitted a support request to DJI so see how we go I guess.
2016-1-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

thepoho@gmail.c Posted at 2016-1-30 11:29
Having same issues here. Nexus 5 android phone.  Have put my deets in other thread: http://forum.dji ...

poho,
looks like we have found some similarities between you an the other posters, all seem to be on Android...
possibly DJI can chime in to suggest what might be happening,
I wonder if they have put some secret sauce code in the wifi extender that is corrupting it...just sayin...they did the funk on the GeoFence on the P3's!
2016-1-29
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

I don't think there are any upgrades going to the wifi extender. Only to the Phantom itself and may be to the wifi Tx in the Phantom but haven't seen the code for there. Has anyone contacted DJI support to get a response. May be something in the app preventing the connection but don't belive it change the wifi extender. If someone could do a test if they have both the android version that doesn't work the try and see if the DJI app in IOS works if it does then the issue is the app.
2016-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Can you post screen shots of your firmware as in the attached on the second post in this thread...http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;extra=#pid71125
2016-1-30
Use props
dj_brady
lvl.1

United States

FWIW, I got the Range Extender update screen in my DJI Vision app tonight.  It failed (maybe that's a good thing) and I went on with my flight, but I couldn't exit out of the update. It had to count down from 60 seconds and then it just failed.  
Also on Android here.
2016-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

dj_brady@email. Posted at 2016-1-31 09:21
FWIW, I got the Range Extender update screen in my DJI Vision app tonight.  It failed (maybe that's  ...

dj,
Thanks for chiming in...seems there is definitely something weird going on with the Android then..there are several now with posting an issue that is Android related...
2016-1-30
Use props
rtkitt
New

United States

The same thing happen to me yesterday. I'm on an android iso as well.
The app prompt me to update.  No I have no connection to the Phantom.
2016-1-31
Use props
enniowlelis
lvl.1

Brazil

rtkitt@aol.com Posted at 2016-2-1 01:14
The same thing happen to me yesterday. I'm on an android iso as well.
The app prompt me to update.  ...

Same happened to me .
2016-1-31
Use props
galaviz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9962405 ft
Mexico

It happened to me this past week I became unusable the Range Extender RE700,
I force the update of android and stopped working,  No answer , no wifi, no reset  HELP
2016-1-31
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

DJI need to chime in and the users affected need to contact DJI to see what the issue is
2016-1-31
Use props
michaeltmason11
New

United States

I am having the same issue. I "updated range extender" after being prompted from app. I then flew the drone for a minute or 2 and lost connection. I was able to land the drone but unable to find drone on wifi. Tried several resets and still unable to connect. I am convinced this is a direct result of the "update". I fly my drone all the time and have never had this issue or been prompted to update anything via app.

2016-1-31
Use props
muddyboots4x4
New

France

Same problem here on Android, with the message:
' No internet access detected, automatic ireconnection impossible'
You can then force a connection but it drops as soon as you're in the air (very handy)
Bur now the front red lights don't come on either...
Worrying and extremely annoying
2016-2-1
Use props
sburman
New

Australia

Thanks for the input everybody. It seems like a very real problem and I also got no assistance whatsoever from support.

This issue certainly needs addressing from DJI themselves.
2016-2-1
Use props
rtkitt
New

United States

I called  DJI and the said that I have to send it in.
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Dear customers with the same issues, could you please provide us information:
1. Aircraft model
2. Aircraft firmware
3. Mobile device model
4. Mobile device OS version
5. Vision app version
Your info will be escalated to our P2 R&D to figure out the best solution for you.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused!
Thank you!
2016-2-1
Use props
michaeltmason11
New

United States

p2 vision plus
2016-2-2
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

There are definate issues noted. DJI put out 1.0.60 app but still no fix from what I understand. Looks like the Wifi extender was bricked. Will take A tech to fix but they're going to have to SSH in and reload the software or change out the extender.
2016-2-2
Use props
grangerfx
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Why would the app attempt to upgrade firmware on our drones without permission? That is NOT OK.
2016-2-4
Use props
carlos_omis
lvl.1

Canada

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-2-5 01:01
Why would the app attempt to upgrade firmware on our drones without permission? That is NOT OK.

Have a look at this email from DJI: http://screencast.com/t/zCVbHk1Vvo apparently the new firmware upgrade is not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S5 (and other devices not in that list). In my situation this makes sense but this is troublesome as I now need a new device to have this working!!!
2016-2-5
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

Range extender update bad
2016-2-5
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

I was showing off the Phantom - to a few law enforcement agencies on what a wonderful product that is when it forced me to do an update on the spot never worked again after that good show
2016-2-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

captstoner@char Posted at 2016-2-6 12:01
I was showing off the Phantom - to a few law enforcement agencies on what a wonderful product that i ...

Are you on android or iOS?
2016-2-5
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-2-6 00:14

Android. I think they got a lot of money to make it  ( I - drone ) there was  no need to update.
Worked fine out of the box. I was forced to update so they killed it intentionally.

Thanks for the reply
2016-2-6
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-2-6 00:14

Android. I think they got a lot of money to make it  ( I - drone ) there was  no need to update.
Worked fine out of the box. I was forced to update so they killed it intentionally.
This is my first time ever posting on a site, but this was obviously done to A) make you buy a I-phone
B) buy a new drone (they no longer make or support vision 2)
Lesson learned......when they move to bigger better they kill what you have.
Sounds like Verizon.
Thanks for the reply
2016-2-6
Use props
galaviz
lvl.1
Mexico

Please we need a solution and spent many days with no response DJI
2016-2-7
Use props
rivest266
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131604 ft
Canada

A summery of what happened

2016-2-7
Use props
dirtdummy
lvl.1

United States

rivest266 Posted at 2016-2-7 17:51
A summery of what happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdy1Bs6oKs&feature=youtu.be

Thats awesome DJI.
2016-2-7
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

I found a way to reload the program on to the drone itself takes about 5 or 6 attempts but it finally does go through had to recalibrate control sticks compass and gimble once that was all done flies like a charm everything is working once again
2016-2-8
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.4

United States

Care to share?
2016-2-8
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

Care to share?.....
2016-2-8
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

I went to the DJI website and downloaded the 3.8 I plugged my phone and the drone into the computer I had to reinstall the software at the 3.8 version five or six times resetting the battery controller and Wi-Fi simultaneously finally the program acknowledged the drone and did all the updates once that was completed I went into the program and calibrated the joysticks and the gimbal once that was completed restarting the unit everything worked
2016-2-8
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

Another thing I have noticed it seems like all of these updates are to shorten the distance which you can fly
2016-2-8
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

captstoner@char Posted at 2016-2-8 17:38
Another thing I have noticed it seems like all of these updates are to shorten the distance which yo ...

+1
bingo!

vision+ GS is too good, scares PIC

2016-2-8
Use props
galaviz
lvl.1
Mexico

Already offers a solution DJI
2016-2-9
Use props
dirtdummy
lvl.1

United States

captstoner@char Posted at 2016-2-8 17:38
Another thing I have noticed it seems like all of these updates are to shorten the distance which yo ...

By how much and was it from reinstalling 3.8?
2016-2-9
Use props
scott.kelli
lvl.1

United States

Capstoner, did you run this restore process on a Vision, or a Vision +?
2016-2-9
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

scott.kelli@com Posted at 2016-2-9 11:21
Capstoner, did you run this restore process on a Vision, or a Vision +?

I have done mine which is a vision2+
But as someone else has stated they have just released a new version which should straighten out your system and add some cool new features as well. like being able to control the height and horizontal on return home mode. I have spoke at length with technicians from DJI who admit that they are doing some updates, some of them good some of them restricting the flight capability. I don't think they are going to announce it publicly but they are being squeezed by the FAA. I guess we expected that after all the stories in the news but as they add more airports and no fly zones hopefully things will loosen up a little bit. I know some people are reporting that they can only go horizontally 300 feet before it disconnects and activates the return to home mode. The 3.8 version has taken me back to where it was when I first bought it which gives me quite enough range to do whatever I need to do. I hope this helps.

Ps when running the program, I plugged in the drone to the computer, made sure everything was on and then started the program. a little box comes up that says (skip)be patient do not hit that. sometimes it takes a few minutes before the program recognizes the drone and connects. I had to go through that procedure 4 or 5 times before it finally did all the updates and corrected everything.
2016-2-9
Use props
captstoner
lvl.1

United States

dirtdummy@comca Posted at 2016-2-9 08:47
By how much and was it from reinstalling 3.8?

3.8 made everything ok again.
2016-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules