So much for turnkey RTF
1669 9 2016-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You know, I'm disappointed.. I bought the Inspire1 beleiving it to be an RTF quadcopter, and from the beginning it needed firmware updates. Initially, these updates were cumbersome and many, like myself had complications during the process. It seemed every time I wanted to shoot a video I was thwarted by yet another update. After growing tired of the updating process, I decided to take a break from the quad and get a life again. So here I am 6 m0nths later... can't fly my quad because I now am 3 Firmware updates behind! In addition to that, the last TB 47 I bought and flew maybe 8 times will not come out of hibernation.
When the Inspire1 is working it is a wonderful thing, but most of the time it's benched for an update etc.
I have yet to discover if the new camera will fit on the inspire1 or has DJI forced the consumer into buying an entirely new bird? I thought the idea behind the gimbal assembly was to be able to upgrade in the future? Perhaps I can and I'm being hasty with my assumptions here.
At this point if someone were to ask me if I would recommend a DJI product I would have to say NO. I wish I could say otherwise.

2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I'm sorry for your frustration! I still hope that there is something  I can help you with!
2016-1-31
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Its frustrating for sure.....like you I would sometimes check for updates only to learn the next day just before the job I would have to redo the firmware.
However, even given the frustration, I have had amazing results with the DJI Drones, and accept the fact that something that has so much tech in it, is subject to continuous improvements.
I guess the alternative is for them not to release the product until it is fully developed, which may be worse having to wait all that time.
I guess there are those that just expect perfect from the start, yet are far from perfect themselves......its hard, but be patient, but at the same time, constructive feedback hopefully is listened to and acted upon.
The side note to all this is I used to fly drones that cost $60,000 and upwards carrying cameras worth even more....with little or no automation......that worry is gone, and now its fun to fly more so than the stressful job it used to be.  
2016-2-1
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Dang, you need to change your expectations - this is a product that is still being developed and change via firmware is an (annoying) fact of life.
That we all purchased a half-developed product from a company that doesn't believe in open and transparent communications means that we have to deal with it.

If that is something you can't manage, or want to deal with then sell it.
2016-2-1
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Well, updates can be a pain. Installing on the copter, then updating all the batteries, calibration, check software settings etc... But, I'm for one are glad for firmware- and software updates. It's better to get updates that not for a product.

Still, though, waiting for X5 updates so we can make full use of the camera...
2016-2-1
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

I don't own an Inspire as of yet but I damn sure plan on purchasing one.  I can only go by my experience with the Phantom but I have never, ever been benched, forced to update.  I have flown on many occasions when the unit needed an update.  Afterwards I updated when time permitted. Many years ago I bought a new CNC router for our business - roughly a $100,000 investment.  The software was still full of bugs as the manufacturer was constantly pushing the envelope of what the machine could do.  If you want to be on the cutting edge of technology - as DJI is - you have to put up with some software issues.  If you don't want to deal with issues I would recommend selling your Inspire and picking one up in 10 years or so.
2016-2-1
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-31 19:03
I'm sorry for your frustration! I still hope that there is something  I can help you with!

Well Tim, a new battery that will do more than just flash the lights 5 times would be a start.
I say again, the quad is great when everything is working as it should, I only hope DJI settle on a  firmware version. It would also be nice if the whole Lund just eliminate the online customer support as it sucks anyway. Every time I me I have attempted to use them, they pass me on to California. So why bother?
On a different note, I just watched a comparison of the x3/x5 cameras and to my surprise, the fluttering was still there in both videos!? Granted the user may have not set the camera up correctly , but for $2000 plus American you would think that issue would have been rectified long time ago.
2016-2-4
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

bill@northwoods Posted at 2016-2-1 03:28
I don't own an Inspire as of yet but I damn sure plan on purchasing one.  I can only go by my experi ...

They are no longer on the cutting edge, they are in a sea of competition now. And I see the big players in DJI preparing for this.
2016-2-4
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

Yeah we are on the verge of the next big thing coming out, which is not to say that DJI won't be the one releasing it.  All I can say is that every time I see a new tech or company coming out with something, I get excited because I know it pushes the whole pack forward.  DJI's biggest problem, and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out why, is their customer service.  I simple don't understand how a company of this size struggles so much with handling customer issues.  Its not like we are dealing with millions of units sold, this is still a niche market, especially the market DJI targets.

I had an OSMO DOA and I started the return process nearly two weeks ago.  Just this morning I received an email letting me know it has arrived and they will get back to me.  There is no reason something like this should take so long and I still haven't even started the process of getting money returned.  It is almost as if the company exists in many fragmented parts.  One hand doesnt know what the other is doing.  A great example of this is that they wanted proof of purchase for the return.  I bought it from them, any normal company could have just looked up my order and been done.  Simple right, well not so fast when DJI is concerned.  You then add on to the fact that you have to save every last piece of material that came with your item to get your money back and it really makes me not want to order from them anymore.  I mean, who the hell keeps the box for something if it works for a short time?  The only reason I had all of mine was due to the unit not working.

All it is going to take is for someone to create a solid platform with a decent camera and good customer service to give DJI a run for their money.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Dangair Posted at 2016-2-5 03:21
Well Tim, a new battery that will do more than just flash the lights 5 times would be a start.
I s ...

Alright! What are your FW versions of:
Aircraft
RC
DJI GO App
?
2016-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules