Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Split my video file into 9 minutes files
12Next >
19184 43 2016-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bishoykeroles
lvl.1

Cyprus

i have problem with my osmo when i record video more than 10 minutes it splits my file to 2 or 3 file by it self
2016-2-1
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

That's a function of file system limitation which is normal. This is not a problem!
2016-2-1
Use props
bishoykeroles
lvl.1

Cyprus

how to make the recording one file? is this happened with all Osmo owners?
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bishoykeroles Posted at 2016-2-2 08:13

Hi, you can edit your clips in the Library of the DJI GO App, or you can download the files into your PC and use the third editing App. to make it better in your taste. and then share it online or with your friends.
2016-2-1
Use props
bishoykeroles
lvl.1

Cyprus

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-2 05:40
Hi, you can edit your clips in the Library of the DJI GO App, or you can download the files into y ...

i know that just need to know if this normal or i have problem with my osmo
2016-2-1
Use props
bishoykeroles
lvl.1

Cyprus

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-2 05:40
Hi, you can edit your clips in the Library of the DJI GO App, or you can download the files into y ...

my problem shortly when i record for example a continuous shoot of 30 minutes  when i open the SD card i found it as 3 or 4 files not one file or one piece and when i put those clips together in any editing problem i can notice there is like one second missing between each clip
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bishoykeroles Posted at 2016-2-2 13:55
my problem shortly when i record for example a continuous shoot of 30 minutes  when i open the SD  ...

What  you are concerning is determined by the system format & algorithm of the SD card, so does the issue of the acceptable missing frame, so don't worry about it, it's normal. Plus, I think you can make it perfect by editing.
2016-2-1
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

bishoykeroles Posted at 2016-2-2 04:13

What you need is a tool that joins / splits video files without re-compression.
For mp4 files, I am using a free tool available here:
http://www.videohelp.com/software/My-MP4Box-GUI
I have also copied the setup of this free tool in my dropbox after checking the executable for any viruses:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com ... ke6/MP4BoxSetup.exe
This method is the fastest and also ensures no changes to your original video or audio content, since the utility is copying the binary content and simply re-muxing it (kind of like changing the properties in the header of a picture file without changing the pixels of the image).
Hope you'll find it useful.
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-2-2
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-2 11:38
What  you are concerning is determined by the system format & algorithm of the SD card, so does th ...

"algorithm of the SD card"?
Better not try to explain things that you do not understand.
Please see this as it is: constructive criticism.
We all appreciate your responsiveness on these forums, but do not be afraid to admit when you do not know something, since none of us know everything. It will suffice if you point people in the right direction or forward these inquiries to the technical team which may be able to help.
As with any technology there are limitations, but it is very important for us to understand them, so please allow us to learn so we can make the most of our efforts (time and money) invested in DJI products.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-3 12:37
"algorithm of the SD card"?
Better not try to explain things that you do not understand.
Please se ...

Hi, bornish, thanks for your kind criticism! Maybe I use the wrong expression, sorry for my English, I'll keep learning and I admit I can always improve together with you, so I'm not trying to pretend that I know something that I don't know. If I'm not sure, I'll always confirm firstly with others, I'll try to give you more accurate and helpful responses. Anyway, I'll appreciate your correction and thanks for your feedback and support to DJI!
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-3 12:27
What you need is a tool that joins / splits video files without re-compression.
For mp4 files, I am ...

Thanks for your post here. That's very kind of you!
2016-2-2
Use props
Sebastiano_
lvl.1
Austria

I have the Osmo+ with the newest firmware.
The problem is still there. It's ridiculous!!!
GoPro & Fuji get the gap correct.
You should come up with a solution soon!
Cannot be so hard to get a video camera actually shooting video without loosing something of the video.
It looks like that there's more audio than video missing, strangely.
2016-11-22
Use props
Sebastiano_
lvl.1
Austria

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-2 08:38
What  you are concerning is determined by the system format & algorithm of the SD card, so does th ...

Don't worry about? Really. Imagine you shooting something serious, like an interview.
Yes I worry about, when seconds of the interview are missing! Cause I can trash it then!

And no, with the new 64GB cards with EXFAT format, it's clearly not an issue of the format and alogrithm of the SD cards, that only apply to FAT32 format card.
So as I have stated in the last post, GoPro, Fuji get the gap correct, so you should look for a solution, because it's possible!
2016-11-22
Use props
AnyKill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15968 ft
Brazil

Sebastiano_ Posted at 2016-11-23 01:32
Don't worry about? Really. Imagine you shooting something serious, like an interview.
Yes I worry ...

I was about to test with my card formatted at exFAT... bu I see that you tested with no luck!
:S
That really a deal breaker
2016-11-22
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The fault (or 'undocumented feature') has been present on the original Osmo since day 1, and -- according to dji in older threads -- will be there until the end of time.

Most people will only use their Osmo for clips lasting less than 2 or 3 minutes, and so probably won't notice it.

But if you're going over 9 minutes or whatever (depends on frame-fate, image size, etc.), and it's important to record everything, then you're going to have to record dual-sound, with a bit of b-roll to cover the gap.
2016-11-23
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Sebastiano_ Posted at 2016-11-23 02:29
I have the Osmo+ with the newest firmware.
The problem is still there. It's ridiculous!!!
GoPro & Fuji get the gap correct.

I am in the same situation and I am just baffled by that... Spend 16 minutes recording something to find out that I was missing a few seconds between clips!!!
2016-12-11
Use props
majormauser
lvl.1

United States

TokyoStreetView Posted at 2016-12-11 02:51
I am in the same situation and I am just baffled by that... Spend 16 minutes recording something to find out that I was missing a few seconds between clips!!!

The issue is because of Windows. This issue is not a problem. Almost all modern cameras split clips because of compatibility and limitations of legacy windows OS.

If you use the capture application ( Premirere,gopro,Sony,Edius 8, Resolve) or transcoding software like the app mentioned in this thread you will not have any issues using your recordings and there will not be any lost frames or gaps in your longer recordings. HOWEVER if you use a transcoding applicaton like Paveltube or any of the many Scam transcoders out there I have found they DON't Work. So be careful with what you see out there on the internet. 99% of the tutorials that you see on how to fix this issue are scam apps. You just need to work with an paid semi pro Editing app. Use capture or import and you won't have gaps or issues with working with long recording.
2017-4-12
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

majormauser Posted at 2017-4-12 07:25
The issue is because of Windows. This issue is not a problem. Almost all modern cameras split clips because of compatibility and limitations of legacy windows OS.

If you use the capture application ( Premirere,gopro,Sony,Edius 8, Resolve) or transcoding software like the app mentioned in this thread you will not have any issues using your recordings and there will not be any lost frames or gaps in your longer recordings. HOWEVER if you use a transcoding applicaton like Paveltube or any of the many Scam transcoders out there I have found they DON't Work. So be careful with what you see out there on the internet. 99% of the tutorials that you see on how to fix this issue are scam apps. You just need to work with an paid semi pro Editing app. Use capture or import and you won't have gaps or issues with working with long recording.

"If you use the capture application ( Premirere,gopro,Sony,Edius 8, Resolve) or transcoding software like the app mentioned in this thread you will not have any issues using your recordings and there will not be any lost frames or gaps in your longer recordings".

I'm afraid that this isn't the case. Every time the system opens a new file you will lose about 2 seconds of video and audio (at 4k, 25fps) -- and there is nothing that you can do about it.

No magic software will fix this because both sound and video are not recorded -- it's as simple as that.

This issue has been discussed numerous times, ever since the Osmo was first released, and dji have said, effectively, that there is nothing that they can do about it.
2017-4-13
Use props
Atedelet
lvl.1

Hong Kong

you can merge the videos with some software....
2017-4-13
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

Atedelet Posted at 2017-4-13 18:39
you can merge the videos with some software....

Nope.  It won't be seamless, it'll be missing several seconds in the gap.
2017-4-13
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't believe these discussions are still going on.  

As it stands just about ALL DJI hardware will split the video files at the 4GB mark, which at 4k is usually around the 9 minutes 18 seconds mark, and when they split the video and start a new file they generally drop around 0.8 - 2 seconds of footage (depending on the hardware).  You CANNOT rejoin these clips and get the missing footage back because it was never recorded in the first place.

This can be fixed in one of two ways.  

1) DJI can lift the 4GB limit on video file sizes when they detect that the Micro SD card is formatted as exFAT, as the 4GB limit is a limit on the FAT file system which exFAT does not have.
2) DJI can improve their software so that it does not drop frames between files, we know this is possible as the GoPro software doesn't drop frames between files.

Now I'm not a software engineer but surely this is just a case of having a large enough buffer in their recording software?

Please fix this DJI.
2017-4-15
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

DJI has intimated that it's a hardware issue and not to expect a fix.
2017-4-15
Use props
chainmon
Captain
Flight distance : 2624892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe it has to do with file size. Your card might be formatted in FAT  4 gigs is all the "FAT" can allocate. If you format you card in NTSC it might give you better results? I am not sure but its worth a try.
2017-4-16
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

What is NTSC. It is a TV format nor a file system, I guess. I am guessing it won't run in NTSC system either.
2017-4-16
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

NTSC is a SD broadcast tv standard here in the US (National Television Standards Committee).  Doesn't have anything to do with card formatting.  FAT32 or exFAT are the two choices for card formatting in the OSMO and the DJI video file size limit is still 4G regardless (around 9min in 4k and around 18mins in 1080). Huge problem there's no workaround for unfortunately.
2017-4-16
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

DJI could theoretically allow for larger file size writing to exFAT format cards (since they don't have a file size limit).  But they won't (or can't).  Could be some other hardware limitation aside from the card preventing it.
2017-4-16
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Australia

If DJI can't fix this issue, all their cameras whether they are on the drones or Osmo will be useless for any serious filming. Is it the case? How can you shoot a film segment that is more than 10 min long in one continuous take.
2017-4-17
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-4-17 17:09
If DJI can't fix this issue, all their cameras whether they are on the drones or Osmo will be useless for any serious filming. Is it the case? How can you shoot a film segment that is more than 10 min long in one continuous take.

You can't.  It's more a toy than a professional tool.  Not to say it's useless for pros, there are some niche things it's good at.  When I bought mine, DJI was marketing the OSMO+ as having a "30min record time."  DJI's explanation was that it can record for 30mins, just with "a few frames missing every few minutes."  I was dumbfounded.  That's like going to a place that says "Open 24 Hours" and finding it closed.  When you ask about "open 24 hrs", they say "yes we're open 24 hours .. but not in a row."  
2017-4-17
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

One thing I noticed is that they're going to the h.265 codec in the new Phantom 4 Advanced camera.   That codec will mean higher quality and longer run time before bumping up against the 4G limit (assuming they do nothing to fix the file spanning problem).  I doubt our "older" cameras can be upgraded via firmware to h.265 so doubtful it'll solve our problem but at least it opens the door to a future hardware upgrade (Osmo+.Z3_2.0???) that might.
2017-4-17
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-4-17 17:09

"How can you shoot a film segment that is more than 10 min long in one continuous take."

You can't with the Osmo.

The last time I needed a continuous take longer than 9 minutes:
(a) I recorded the sound externally and sync'd it in post.
(b) A couple of seconds of 'b-roll' covered the video gap.

And that's only because I wanted to see how an Osmo would work for a presentation. I wouldn't normally use an Osmo for this kind of work.

It wasn't a problem for me -- but it will be a show-stopper for some folks.

(In reality, not many people require clips longer than 9 minutes on a camera of any kind. Most of mine are rarely more than a minute.)
2017-4-18
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Australia

Frankly if DJI cannot fix this issue. Their Osmo pro fans will just better off with GH5 or the like.  Gimbal type of camera is everywhere. A lot of camera can do 4K with stablization both in the lens and camera. Yet they are more easy to use and ready to use in a flash. They have more functions like autofocus and without loud fan noise. And as they are industry standard there will be more lens choice either.
2017-4-18
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Australia

I have reformated the SD card using Exfat format. The recorded video is still split to 4G files. So DJI really needs to fix that software so that there is no missing frames. This issue relates to all DJI products involving Cameras, I supposed. However, I have not heard from users of X5s using SSD whether they have same situation.
2017-4-20
Use props
Cookies & Java
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It seems odd that the average $50 action cam can record multiple clips without any gap yet the Osmo can't.
2017-4-21
Use props
chainmon
Captain
Flight distance : 2624892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cookies & Java Posted at 2017-4-21 06:32
It seems odd that the average $50 action cam can record multiple clips without any gap yet the Osmo can't.

I don't believe it's an OSMO issue. It is a file size issue. My other cameras will only create a 4 gig video as well. It's a computer file size issue.
2017-4-24
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

chainmon Posted at 2017-4-24 05:30
I don't believe it's an OSMO issue. It is a file size issue. My other cameras will only create a 4 gig video as well. It's a computer file size issue.

And when you put those "bridged" 4G clips together in your edit program the transition between the two is seamless.  With the Osmo it loses a couple of seconds at the bridge point.  The only camera in the world that I'm aware of that loses media when spanning/bridging clips.
2017-4-24
Use props
Camera Ninja
lvl.3
United States

I recorded timecode off my premiere timeline and a little after 9 minutes in, it will split he clips and there is about 1 1/2 sec gap between the two clips. At first I thought it was the SD card, but it's not, just another bug in a crappy product.
2017-4-24
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for this information. i almost bought one of these!
2017-4-24
Use props
fans14ef9d81
New
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-1 19:40
Hi, you can edit your clips in the Library of the DJI GO App, or you can download the files into your PC and use the third editing App. to make it better in your taste. and then share it online or with your friends.

how do you save it to your PC ?
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans14ef9d81 Posted at 2017-8-2 16:34
how do you save it to your PC ?

Connect Osmo Mobile to computer, find DJI Go, you will see a folder named HG300 Storage, this is where videos and picture locate.
2017-8-3
Use props
DeeKay0
lvl.1
Germany

Still not fixed 2019, there seems to comes no FW Update. The OSMO Pocket seems to havn't that problem (what I read here in the Forum), its split the files, but there is no gap.
2019-4-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules