Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DaVinchi Resolve 12 free video editor
12Next >
5378 51 2016-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Downoaded and installed DaVinci Resolve 12 yesterday.

Now I've had a few hr's to play with some files and it already feels to good to be free
Been using Pinnacle Studio at work and this intsanly felt familliar!
DaVinchi_Resolve_Edit_02.02.2016.jpg

Any good or bads things for me to keep an eye out for?
2016-2-2
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Resolve 12
2016-2-2
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

Try FCPX. You want look back. For weekend video editorFCPX is in it's own league. It forces you to organise media as you should. Far, far faster than anything in market. Timeline works as magic.

Peps use Resolve to grade footage. Not to edit. It has very good masks/tracking.
Premiere CC.. tool for the job, no magic from Adobe..

2016-2-2
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Been playing with Resolve myself, it's free and the best colour correcting software on the market, without paying new car prices for software.

It's editing features are great, I've been skipping using Premiere altogether for somethings.

Biggest gripes are with sound, it fails to sync sound way to many times, and can't sync external sound editing with audition or similar.

It is really nice having pro level editing and color grading all in one program, there are a few things missing. And it's free! The paid version only adds the ability to use multiple GPU's for editing, and collaborative editing. I think you also need it for 4k output?

You can also get the full version free by simply purchasing their color grading desk for $25,000...........
2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Resolve will keep getting better with each new release, there is a commitment to eventually produce a single system that does not require you to round-trip between grading and editing. At present, as pantera989 says, the audio is lacking, so I do not use the editing features. But it is at the start of its development, while other NLEs are just cruising. Blackmagic is a giant-killer, so watch out.
2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

imagines.and.wo Posted at 2016-2-3 07:25
Try FCPX. You want look back. For weekend video editorFCPX is in it's own league. It forces you to  ...

"Try FCPX. You want look back. For weekend video editorFCPX is in it's own league. It forces you to organise media as you should."

I don't need an NLE that 'forces' me to do anything. Bad concept. Anyway, why compare an expensive NLE with a free one?
2016-2-2
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

Yeah, it should not force anything but i found that good thing.  
2016-2-2
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

RE: DaVinchi Resolve 12 free video editor

The key word here is Free
Getting along with this just fine so far and found plenty not in the paid stuff at work.

And as you can see from the clock I have a ton o fun as well
DaVinchi_Resolve_Edit_03.02.2016.jpg
2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

imagines.and.wo Posted at 2016-2-3 10:23
Yeah, it should not force anything but i found that good thing.

OK, and if you do not have an Apple machine, then what?
2016-2-2
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

I have been using it and I love DaVinci. Best FREE editor out there right now!
2016-2-2
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DaVinci Resolve is fantastic at grading. It now also have NLE capabilities that are good. I roundtrip between Resolve Studio and FCPX.

The thing to watch out with the free version of Resolve is that it does not support full 4K, it supports up and to UHD. DaVinci Resolve Studio is the full version which handles 4K, noise and some more stuff. So if you want 4K you need the Studio version.
2016-2-2
Use props
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 186526 ft
Canada

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-2 13:32
Been playing with Resolve myself, it's free and the best colour correcting software on the market, w ...

Wow!  Only $25k?  Thats a hell of a lot  cheaper than the $300K they were charging 8 years ago.  

How it with handling phantom 3 footage?  Are you having to transcode beforehand or is it handling the h.264 without stuttering?

2016-2-2
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

dennylajeunesse Posted at 2016-2-3 19:20
Wow!  Only $25k?  Thats a hell of a lot  cheaper than the $300K they were charging 8 years ago.  : ...

It handles H264 fine for me, using pretty high end hardware though (Intel i7 6 core @ 4.5GHZ, GTX980Ti), I am shooting d-log and transcoding however, using the DJI transcoding tool for better editing and color correction.
2016-2-2
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Slight lag

I'm editing 1080p video and there's some lag.
Wonder if more RAM is the answer?

My PC Spec's aren't that bad:
2xRAIDSamsung SSD 840 PROSeries 128GB 2.5" OEM Basic Kit, MDX controller, 530/390MB/s Read/write (OS)
2xMIRRORED WD Red 3TB NAS Harddrive SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB, 3.5", 24x7 reliability (Storage)
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
AMD - FX-8320 3.5 GHz 8-core, AM3+, 990FX, 16GB DDR3
XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, 2xDL-DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort
Samsung HT-F9750 Blu-Ray 7.1 surround, 1330W, 2x HDMI, 4K
BenQ 3D DLP Projektor TH681 1920x1080, 3000 Ansi, 10000:1
Elite Screen 150" Electrical Screen 16:9, Gain 1:1, 332x186cm
BAPC_Spec_2016-02-03.jpg
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-3 05:32
Been playing with Resolve myself, it's free and the best colour correcting software on the market, w ...

Don't be greedy guys, just get fill version daVinci panel for only 25 000 $
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Since it's free I really want to try it! Is there a mac version?
2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-3 18:51
Since it's free I really want to try it! Is there a mac version?

Yes, there is: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve

Look at the orange buttons on the bottom of that page, left hand side.
2016-2-3
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

The thing about decent free software ... Is that young folks just starting out will use and learn it.  In a few years these folks will be the industry  leaders.....and they will use what they are familiar with.  And they will actually be able to afford those 25k tools.
It's a brilliant marketing plan actually.
2016-2-3
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-3 09:42
OK, and if you do not have an Apple machine, then what?

you c an get it for windows also.
2016-2-3
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-3 08:12
you c an get it for windows also.

Since when? Apple only makes Quicktime and iTunes available for Windows. Running in VM video editing software is not a good option, as any native app will run circles around it.
2016-2-3
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Naza-PA Posted at 2016-2-3 14:32
Since when? Apple only makes Quicktime and iTunes available for Windows. Running in VM video editi ...

DaVinci Resolve is available for Windows as well as OSX. I don't know for how long it have been available for Windows, but it's been available for quite some time.
2016-2-3
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-3 09:31
The thing about decent free software ... Is that young folks just starting out will use and learn it ...

Yes, it is good marketing. Many companies does this, or at least give teachers/students really great discounts on software. I know I bought a version of Maya (a leading 3D animation software package) for just about 350 US dollars when I was a student. The original price (the price companies had to pay), was about 9300 US dollars for the software.
2016-2-3
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

You also get the software for free if you buy the Blackmagic cinema camera. Great software, and better than a lot of them out there.

Alan
2016-2-3
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

I have been using Corel Videostudio Ultimate.  While free is nice, the $80 price is not too bad for the features.  It handles 4K video and has a lot of output options.  I haven't played with color correction but the latest versions advertises "A complete set of pro level color correction tools that also add the ability to achieve color grading including a bunch of presets that can be applied to either correct or create ambiance."

You can download a demo version for free.
2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Windows 8 Pro

Naza-PA Posted at 2016-2-3 14:32
Since when? Apple only makes Quicktime and iTunes available for Windows. Running in VM video editi ...

Here's twelve clips on the chopping table so again: It works Splendid on a Windows PC
DaVinchi_Resolve_Chopping_Table_03.02.2016.jpg

And it's addictive!
Which is great as with any luck some skills are to be had
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Works great on Windows, there are some weird issues installing quicktime on Windows 10, but once that is sorted, I've had no issues.
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-3 20:35

There is a 100+ page PDF from black magic outlining hardware suggestions, they indicate that for compressed formats, the CPU is generally the biggest factor. (They recommend dual Intel 8 core+ for smooth 4k compressed formats).

Looking at some benchmarks, my processor is slightly faster then yours, but not buy much (~10-15%?),
possibly Intel has an feature of instruction set that makes them perform better?
2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-3 19:59
There is a 100+ page PDF from black magic outlining hardware suggestions, they indicate that for co ...

More likely all the clutter everywhere in my system I guess.
Time for a lap with ccleaner and such I guess.
Updated the video card and chipset drivers too, that helped 32 gigs o system and 8? gigs of video RAM should suffice.
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-4 03:03
More likely all the clutter everywhere in my system I guess.
Time for a lap with ccleaner and such  ...

From your list of specs you should have 4GB of video RAM? From memory they recommended 2GB+ video ram for 1080 editing, and 32GB of system RAM should be more than enough.

Pretty sure last time I ran Ccleaner, it removed like 60GB of stuff
2016-2-3
Use props
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 186526 ft
Canada

Here is a secret tip.  If you have any i7, especially the newer ones with built in h.264 encoding, and decent memory and you are still getting some sort of bottle neck, then it's about 90% likely to be a hard drive bottleneck.  And the number 1 hard drive bottle neck is... Windows Indexing service followed by Anti-Virus software.  It's not always about "slow" drives and needing SSD.

Indexing will constantly read every file that gets changed.  And during editing your NLE will be creating thousands of littel temp files which Indexing then indexes.  Drive use can max at 100% from Indexing service alone.  Your Anti-virus software can often do the same, though not usually as bad as Indexing.

You can turn the service off completely or  you can make exemptions for drives/directories.  I've never done the latter.  I just turn the whole service off.

I also make exclusions for anti-virus software.  Cache directories, media directories etc.

2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Adding mp3

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-3 20:50
From your list of specs you should have 4GB of video RAM? From memory they recommended 2GB+ video  ...

Cant figure out how to add mp3 to my video?
Help?
2016-2-3
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

I've been using Wondershare Filmora..... @ $50 for lifetime license... it works well. Picture in picture.... 2.7K works..... Not sure what other features are out there with other software. Guess I could try this "Free" stuff.
2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

DaVinchi Resolve 12 performance

Looking for ways to get a music track on to the timeline I stumbled on to a barf.

The 2XWD RED's in Mirror mode is for storage.
Found this setting and ticked the 2xSSD''s in RAID.
Now everything is agile
DaVinchi_Resolve_Media Management 03.02.2016.jpg

Still no music -
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-4 05:31
Cant figure out how to add mp3 to my video?
Help?

Haha, I had this same issue! It doesn't support MP3, apparently they are consumer rubbish and shouldn't be used in high quality videos

Convert your mp3 to WAV using itunes or similar (48khz from memory)
2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-2-3
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Not sure what happened here but thanks, now I can see but not hear the audio.
One step closer
DaVinchi_Resolve_Import_Audio_See_No_Hear_03.02.2016.jpg
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-4 07:25
Not sure what happened here but thanks, now I can see but not hear the audio.
One step closer

Your layout looks a bit different to mine, but I dragged the sound file to empty bar under the video on the timeline.
2016-2-3
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-3 11:59
Here's twelve clips on the chopping table so again: It works Splendid on a Windows PC

Sorry, folks I was referring to Final Cut Pro X - it is Mac only. DaVinci looks good though.
2016-2-3
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Rob W Posted at 2016-2-3 09:41
DaVinci Resolve is available for Windows as well as OSX. I don't know for how long it have been av ...

Ah, Sorry folks, I was referring to Final Cut Pro X - it is Mac only. DaVinci looks good though.
BTW, the only cons - it does not support Intel Video hardware acceleration. NVidia or AMD descreete adapters are suported though.
2016-2-3
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-3 08:35

At 1080p I don't think you should get lag with your system. The only thing I can think could be a bottleneck in your system is your graphics card. Resolve takes use of the Cuda instructions sets in Nvidia cards, but as you have a Radeon card that is not available. Check the graphics settings inside the Resolve software and see if you can edit it. Also if you up the resolution you'd probably like more video memory on the graphics card.
2016-2-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules