Why Zenmuse X5 for OSMO?
3045 17 2016-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dan.diverdan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1280 ft
United States

These are all the lenses I've seen for the Zenmuse X5 camera with gimbal, that also fits the OSMO.  Some require inexpensive "balancing rings".  Apparently all these are very close in field-of-view to the X3, which includes the OSMO handle for about $650 US.  So for about three times the price of an OSMO complete, I can get a micro 4/3 that can only accept light-weight lenses in the range of 113-130 grams, and only one of them is a zoom lens capable of 42mm/84m equivalent?  All the others are in the narrow range of 12 to 15 to 17mm.

So why would I want to buy the X5 to add to the OSMO handle, instead of just the regular OSMO?

115g    DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH
115g    Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH
130g    Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0
120g    Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
113g    Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
2016-2-3
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

Well, if you are only interested in FOV resp. focal length you might be right. Even though there might be some lenses added in the future with a larger focal length?!

But there are much more aspects to the X5 than just the available focal lengths:
- Image Quality in terms of quantum noise (larger sensor, more photons, less noise)
- Image quality in terms of sharpness (better lenses, better MTF, better sharpness)
- Image quality in terms of dynamic range
- Option to zoom (optical without loosing resolution, not digital)
- Focus

And finally it´s all about image quality, isn´t it?
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

http://www.dji.com/products/compare-xcamera
Please look up ZENMUSE X SERIES CAMERAS COMPARISON at above DJI official website, hope you'll find some useful information.
IMHO, there's no perfect things but we may always find something better in comparison. looking at all the parameters thoroughly, we'll make the best choice for ourselves. DJI has been always thinking and caring about what you want. Thanks!
2016-2-4
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well X5 doesn't work with Osmo and maybe never will - who knows...

The larger sensor X5 allows control over DOF, so you can focus on subject with a blur background. Whereas the X3 has a 'Gopro' everything in focus look.

X5 lets you use a 30mm 50mm and 90mm (35mm equiv) FOV which gives lots of creative options. The X3 is fixed 20mm (35mm equiv) FOV.

X5 has a low bit rate codec so does not handle movement on a detailed scene particularly well imo. I find using X3 and X5 that there isn't much difference in quality. Both have same bit rate.

X3 is smaller and lighter on the Osmo than the X5 will be.

Some shooting situations X3 is better, other situations X5 is better. You'll probably want both cameras.

I would get the Osmo with the X3 for now. Then get an X5 later when the handle compatibility situation is resolved. Personally I am waiting for the X5R to avoid the compression issues, we'll see.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-2-4 20:06
Well X5 doesn't work with Osmo and maybe never will - who knows...

The larger sensor X5 allows cont ...

Thanks for your comments here! X5 will certainly work with Osmo soon, please just keep a little faith. Hope DJI products will bring you more fun. Thanks for your support!
2016-2-4
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-4 22:18
Thanks for your comments here!  X5 will certainly work with Osmo soon, please just keep a little ...

I think this post exemplifies why DJI has a bit of a problem from a user side.  A significant portion of their customers is not worried about whether the "products will bring you more fun."  Many of us actually want to use the products as professional videographers in our work.  From that standpoint, consistent reliability, a product release schedule, customer support, and communication are important.  Now, I realize that DJI are ahead of their competition and that seems to involve releasing products before they have finished working out the issues.  In retrospect, I should never have bought a DJI product with an expectation that it would be able to be used on a job in the near future.  Even so, I am hoping that DJI can grow into a company that will support professionals rather than just expecting that we all want to have "fun".  I'm honestly not trying to add more complaints to DJI's customer complaint bing.  I think the DJI has quite a bit to offer on the tech side and could be a formidable tech company in the industry.  Their products single handedly convinced me to buy the use of gimbals and drones in my work.  I just hope they become a little more reliable in the future.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-5 12:04
I think this post exemplifies why DJI has a bit of a problem from a user side.  A significant port ...

Thanks for your kind comments!
In a sense, there're quite a amount of Osmo's users who are really enjoying shooting with it, so I would like to hope that they will really have fun and make wonderful shootings with it.
At the same time, I believe that DJI has never forgot the professional users in videography or cinematography industries. Please visit the Pro system & Ronin series in DJI official website for more information on professional products: http://www.dji.com/products/prosystem  http://www.dji.com/product/ronin-m
As a growing company, there's no doubt that development is always the pursuit for itself. DJI is definitely well aware of the fatal importance of reliability of both its products and service to its future of possibilities. After all, what you expect is just what DJI cares about.
Thanks again for your post and regards! Let's gain the good hope and wish the best to DJI together!
2016-2-4
Use props
taylorellis11
lvl.2

United States

0 reason... Save yourself the $ and the headache. Still waiting on the X5 firmware to be released... Then we'll have to wait for it to make it actually work correctly
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

taylorellis11@g Posted at 2016-2-5 14:59
0 reason... Save yourself the $ and the headache. Still waiting on the X5 firmware to be released... ...

Thanks for your waiting!
2016-2-4
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-5 03:18
Thanks for your comments here!  X5 will certainly work with Osmo soon, please just keep a little ...

As I am about to purchase the Osmo, and a major deciding factor is  that it will be compatible with the X5 I already own. Sooo, I can take your comment as red?
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-2-5 17:22
As I am about to purchase the Osmo, and a major deciding factor is  that it will be compatible wit ...

Yeah, sure. One thing I'd like to mention is that the X5 can be used with Osmo only when mounted together with another adapter which is still in process. So... I would hope and be thankful if you will wait for a while for the adapter with patience.
2016-2-5
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-5 10:36
Yeah, sure. One thing I'd like to mention is that the X5 can be used with Osmo only when mounted t ...

Thanks for the reply. Do I have the same control over the image, such as sharpness, contrast and saturation as I do with the X3 + Inspire app.
2016-2-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

By the time they release the adapter and firmware, then after months of firmware updates before it actually works the way it supposed to, it will be obsolete. Looks what's happening to the iPhone, there getting crushed by 100 of Chinese copycats that sell quality smartphones at  a fraction of the price of an iPhone. Same things going to happen to dji.
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-2-6 03:12
Thanks for the reply. Do I have the same control over the image, such as sharpness, contrast and s ...

I think so...Please wait for the update. Thanks!
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-6 07:11
By the time they release the adapter and firmware, then after months of firmware updates before it a ...

That won't be what we expect! I hope not...
2016-2-5
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-6 02:26
I think so...Please wait for the update. Thanks!

Hi, with the greatest of respect... 'I think so,' is not a response that helps me make a decision on buying one of DJI's products! Neither does, 'wait for the update. 'Is the update imminent? Is it due in the next few weeks or few months? Some concrete information would be appreciated. Thanks.
2016-2-6
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have been testing the X5 with the Osmo and have uploaded my samples on YouTube - they're nothing special just quick 5 minute tests. Using the 3D printed adapter was the way to go if you have no other way of using the X5 with the Osmo right now. It costs £9.99 ($15). Here's my videos:

The 3D printed adapter can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191790805959
2016-2-8
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can't do these low light videos with the normal Osmo Camera.

Low light X5 Osmo Tests

2016-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules