Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ruin it for everyone.
2484 34 2016-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
retired dog
lvl.3

United States

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/0 ... .html?intcmp=hplnws . Saw where some fool crashed his drone (didn't say what kind) into the
40th floor of the Empire State building.
2016-2-5
Use props
dewayt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

looks like a case of common sense....  the pilot had none.  
2016-2-5
Use props
One
lvl.1

Sweden

One more step against further restrictions
2016-2-5
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Another nail in the coffin for those of us who only try to fly responsibly.
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.4

United States

Well, at least he kept it in the 400ft range

The average height of a building floor is 10', 10 X40 is 400 ft.
2016-2-5
Use props
bilal-uendemir_
lvl.1
Flight distance : 343461 ft
Austria

AND this incident destroys our hobby....... consequences: restriction. Who are affected? Yes we all who like this hobby...
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bilal-uendemir_ Posted at 2016-2-6 03:29
AND this incident destroys our hobby....... consequences: restriction. Who are affected? Yes we all  ...

What's the  point of these "destroy our hobby" posts?
I've seen thousands of them and they are all pointless.
They aren't read by the class that misuse their drones - and would have zero effect if they were.
They do nothing to help safe flyers and responsible dronists.
These posts are a waste of space.

When someone misuses a car or a gun, are. there people everywhere complaining that he's going to ruin things for drivers or gun owners?

There are idiots  everywhere.  That's the human condition.
Some will misuse their drones (and guns and cars).
Get over it and stop cluttering the forum with nonsense.
2016-2-5
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.3

United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-5 21:44
I've seen thousands of them and they are all  ...

God, calm down please...This forum is used for all topical discussions relating a variety of drone related issues. It's good for newcomers like myself can see how strongly the community feels against these idiots. But it's also good to have a reality check now and then.

So to brandish these threads as nonsense, is just idiotic in it's self. If you don't want to engage productively then please don't comment.
2016-2-5
Use props
Goldchucker
First Officer
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-2-5 13:55
God, calm down please...This forum is used for all topical discussions relating a variety of drone ...

Was there a very large gorilla involved?  Just wondering.
2016-2-5
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-6 06:22
Was there a very large gorilla involved?  Just wondering.

It wasn't beauty that killed the beast...definitely a DJI Phantom 3 gone rogue.
2016-2-6
Use props
Big Easy Drone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 856 ft
United States

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-2-6 03:57
It wasn't beauty that killed the beast...definitely a DJI Phantom 3 gone rogue.

Pilot Error I would say
2016-2-6
Use props
Goldchucker
First Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-5 13:44
I've seen thousands of them and they are all  ...

Sir:

I respectfully disagree.  Every time I hear of a mishap involving private or personal property, it makes me more aware of my responsibility in the safe operation of my quad.  You certainly have the right to post here and express your feelings but please don't try and convince me that it is nonsense. Besides, I didn't see you name listed as a forum moderator.

Respectfully,
Chuck
2016-2-6
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-7 17:35
Sir:

I respectfully disagree.  Every time I hear of a mishap involving private or personal propert ...

Post all you like about mishaps involving private or personal property.
That's fine and interesting but spare us the dozens of "he's going to spoil it for everyone" posts that always follow.
It's been said a thousand times and it isn't true.
Saying it again and again is as pointless as it is boring.

And FYI .. you don't have to be a moderator to be allowed to express an opinion here ... you just proved that yourself.
2016-2-6
Use props
Goldchucker
First Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-6 22:43
Post all you like about mishaps involving private or personal property.
That's fine and interesting ...

Sir:

Good Grief.  No one is forcing you to read any posts here.  Pass them up.  That's your choice.  Besides, what's in a title?
I'll let you have the last word.  How's that.  
2016-2-6
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-7 17:45
Sir:

Good Grief.  No one is forcing you to read any posts here.  Pass them up.  That's your choice ...

Good grief ... take your own advice.
No one is forcing you to read any posts here.  Pass them up.
2016-2-6
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pass all the so called safety laws you want.  The idiots will usually remain idiots and the responsible people will generally be responsible.  Does anyone really believe the new FAA rules will entice the idiots to register and place their identity on their aircraft? The new laws do provide one positive thing.  They remind us all to be more cognizant of how we fly and remind others to do the same.
2016-2-12
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.3

Croatia

lol. sorry guys, i'm responsible pilot but this is future.. nfz nfz nfz nfz
2016-2-12
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well, first off the guy was an idiot. Second, I hope this is not more fire for the liberal anti drone peeps out there.
2016-2-12
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

What would you say if I told you that there are a lot of people on these Phantom forums who themselves WANT more government restrictions ?People who believe that the hobby can only be practical only if thoroughly regulated and controlled by government.

May sound odd, and even paranoid to some, but there "might" actually be people out there that do these things in order to bring about those restrictions.
It would defy logic, but madness does exist.   Totally dismiss it..... or give it a thought.

2016-2-12
Use props
arock387
lvl.3

United States

This wont ruin it for everyone.  It will ruin it for him though.  If it happens quite a few more times than it will become a problem for us
2016-2-12
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-12 20:32
This wont ruin it for everyone.  It will ruin it for him though.  If it happens quite a few more tim ...

Public shaming along with large fines gets people to change their habits.

This clown, (no offense to real clowns) was arrested and his quad confiscated.  He's going to pay a lawyer and get hit with a large fine, and may be banned from ownership. (if we're lucky)

The should make him do a public service announcement so that everywhere he goes, people will point at him. Public ridicule does work on most people.
2016-2-13
Use props
GoBigorGoHome
lvl.1

United States

Hopefully This does not make it worse for the whole community
2016-2-19
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

gregg1r Posted at 2016-2-14 11:21
Public shaming along with large fines gets people to change their habits.

This clown, (no offense ...

The facts are quite different from the sensational story originally spread about this non-incident.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/1 ... flying-a-drone.html

The ones trying to ruin things are journalists that make up a story to fit the narrative they want to tell rather than reporting facts.
2016-2-19
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-12 20:25
What would you say if I told you that there are a lot of people on these Phantom forums who themselv ...

you are not wrong,

several posts on forums I have read haved asked for such.

the reasons offered are varied.

But in all honesty have participated for long time on drone forums the "sky is falling" because this guy...did that or this..
has been kinda done before and before  and before........

the rules we get are based upon fear, and they fact they lack control .
toss a little media hysteria in now and then

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-2-19
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
United States

I just read the story

I BET everyone THOUGHT it was a phantom or similar.

here is what he hit the empire state building with:

This called for a drone. Mr. Riddle went on Amazon and bought an Ionic 6-Axis Quadcopter Drone with a camera for $69.99. He

“It wasn’t the best idea,” Mr. Riddle said, “but I figured I had it in me.”

He saw some police officers standing near Macy’s and approached them. He told them he wanted to fly the drone straight up and let it descend. He said an officer replied, “Sounds O.K. to me.”

http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-6-Ax ... opter/dp/B0115JB6I4

kinda funny in a way....

mountain > molehill anyone!

dumb ok!
criminal not!
2016-2-19
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-2-19 13:57
I just read the story

I BET everyone THOUGHT it was a phantom or similar.

hahahaha.... and after he crashed it into the building. he went and asked for it back?  A $70.00 quad... really?

One stupid decision after another,  it is almost as if this guy  is trying to win a darwin award...
2016-2-19
Use props
tonynichols
New

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-19 17:11
hahahaha.... and after he crashed it into the building. he went and asked for it back?  A $70.00 q ...

You guys are being a little tough on the guy.  I feel sorry for people who live in big cities because they have so few places where they can fly their drones.  If I want to fly, I can just walk out my front door and take off.

If you make it so you have to have an empty field with no one within a mile about, this hobby won't be worth having anyway.  I fly my drone very responsibly, but there is always the potential of a sudden power loss or malfunction where the bird could fall and potentially do property damage or hurt someone.  The same is true of automobiles.  I guess if it ever happens, then someone on this forum will talk about this idiot that is ruining it for everyone.
2016-2-19
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

tonynichols Posted at 2016-2-19 17:38
You guys are being a little tough on the guy.  I feel sorry for people who live in big cities beca ...

There a big difference between what you suggest and attempting to fly to the Top of the empire state building......
2016-2-19
Use props
tonynichols
New

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-19 20:41
There a big difference between what you suggest and attempting to fly to the Top of the empire sta ...

From what I have read about NYC police, they will arrest any drone operator in the city just for reckless endangerment.  If you fly in a park, you can be put on a terror watch list.  We live in a paranoid world now.
2016-2-19
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-20 13:41
There a big difference between what you suggest and attempting to fly to the Top of the empire sta ...

Kind of like the a big difference between what New York's finest crime and terrorism reporter wrote and the facts as they have come out.
He was flying a $25 toy not even eligible for FAA registration.
It has a Remote Control Operational Distance: Up to 30 meters.
It was never going to the top  of the Empire State Building
2016-2-19
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
United States

tonynichols Posted at 2016-2-19 21:38
You guys are being a little tough on the guy.  I feel sorry for people who live in big cities beca ...

no,  I am like you I go out on back deck or front drive and go..

I am just saying they are making a small drone that weighs nothing into some major catastrophe.

that same size drone has crashed into my wall, windows, dog, me, cat, tv,
and no , nothing ever got hurt bent , damaged etc.

its a toy and he went to jail due to hysteria.

he was stupid because that toy isn't good enough to fly there at that altitude, the wind etc in between building can be bad.

he should have had a phantom--then no news is good news
2016-2-19
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-19 22:15
Kind of like the a big difference between what New York's finest crime and terrorism reporter wrote ...

definitely overblown,  but isn't that how you make what you do even more critical....

btw somehow he got this up to 40th floor if article is correct,  a bit more than 30m

and why he needed a phantom to this... safely.
just kidding folks! ( but it would have)
2016-2-19
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-2-20 15:11
definitely overblown,  but isn't that how you make what you do even more critical....

btw somehow ...

"btw somehow he got this up to 40th floor if article is correct,  a bit more than 30m
"

No ... just another exaggeration that crept in to embellish the facts.
Mr. Riddle said his drone flew up to about the sixth story before the trouble began: “The wind takes it, and it bumps against the Empire State Building a few times.”

Not good.

“I let it drop, and it falls onto the first tier, which is like five floors up,” he said. He entered the lobby, approached a security guard and asked to get his drone back.

“You got some ID?” the guard said.

Later, while he waited, a police officer arrived and arrested him on charges of reckless endangerment. In an apparent misunderstanding, and a final indignity to Mr. Riddle, the police reported that the drone had flown up 40 stories before falling, a height Mr. Riddle had only dreamed of reaching.
2016-2-19
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-19 17:17
The facts are quite different from the sensational story originally spread about this non-incident ...

Lets see.

Purchases a $69.99 drone. Researches on Google that there are no laws forbidding flight in downtown New York City. Proceeds to take said drone to Empire State Building and starts to ascend, when the winds push said drone into the building and it goes crash.

Police arrest said dumb-ass for wreck less endangerment. Spends the night in jail and now is referred to by the inmates as the Drone-Guy.

The only portion of the first report got wrong was that said dumb-ass didn't make it to the 40th story.

Now since you reignited this story, the Times didn't bother to list what laws were or could have been broken. No mention of prior experience or even basic understanding of how a drone operates.

He's a dumb-ass.
2016-2-20
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Makes me laugh he had the audacity to go ask for his drone back ha ha
2016-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now