2843 35 2016-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heli-Pilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17589 ft
United States

Hi All,
Since I am a new P3 pilot, and have been reading alot of what and what NOT to do while flying to try and become an educated, proficient drone pilot. Thaat said, I was a little terrified about the possibility of an inadvertant CSC while flying. So, using an old hotel room key, I made a simple guard to gate the left stick. A couple of small pieces of velcro will let me put it into place after starting the motors and will prevent me from moving the stick to the lower corners. Sure, it will also restrict me from yawing upon descent but at this point in my flying, I'm sure I will not notice too much. Since accidental CSC is such a dangerous and catastophic event, a small bit of prevention is warranted at least during inital stages of learning to fly.
Others may laugh but similar things are used in aviation. When learning to fly Helicopters, the Robinsons I flew had a little plastic tube you would put over the mixture cutoff to help prevent it from accidentally getting pulled during flight, which like CSC kills the engine!

20160205_142436.png
2016-2-5
Use props
golphinn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190994 ft
United States

I picked up one of these from Phantom Help and it does a great job.  CSC Safety
2016-2-5
Use props
Heli-Pilot
lvl.1
United States

That is awesome! I hadn't seen that before. Ordering now! Thanks for the link!
2016-2-5
Use props
golphinn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190994 ft
United States

Heli-Pilot Posted at 2016-2-5 18:18
That is awesome! I hadn't seen that before. Ordering now! Thanks for the link!

No problem, hope it helps.  So simple, but so helpful.  One less thing to think about while flying.
2016-2-5
Use props
Heli-Pilot
lvl.1
United States

AMEN! And, it's way more elegant of a solution than my Rube Goldberg edition!
Thanks again!
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This is really stupid and completely unnecessary.

"Since accidental CSC is such a dangerous and catastophic event, a small bit of prevention is warranted at least during inital stages of learning to fly. "

Despite your newbie fears, accidental CSC is almost completely unknown.
It's not something that is ever going to happen in normal  flight.
Think about  what your Phantom would be doing if you had the sticks almost in that position.
"Accidental" CSC is something that happens to people that:
1.  Don't read the manual
2.  Jerk the sticks around like a drunken moron
These people are going to find a way to crash whatever they do.
2016-2-5
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

I dont see where its unnecessary to add a level of protection from a known issue.  If it gives someone a chance to save a craft I think its great.  Reading the manual doesnt stop a accident from happening
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dacofty Posted at 2016-2-6 13:08
I dont see where its unnecessary to add a level of protection from a known issue.  If it gives someo ...

"Reading the manual doesnt stop a accident from happening"
"Accidental" CSC doesn't happen
2016-2-5
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-5 21:29
"Reading the manual doesnt stop a accident from happening"
"Accidental" CSC doesn't happen

well maybe not but with that little small tiny piece if plastic it might prevent a non accidental CSC.  So why not?  no different than adding any other mod.  To each their own
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dacofty Posted at 2016-2-6 13:34
well maybe not but with that little small tiny piece if plastic it might prevent a non accidental  ...

Several years of experience shows that it just doesn't happen accidentally - ask any experienced flyer.
Think what kind of move you'd have to be pulling to "accidentally" CSC.
But to block off yawing left or right to solve a non-existant problem - that's stupid.

If you want to worry about something that does kill Phantoms, worry about flying close to trees and buildings.
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Only for newbies! don't get used to it!
2016-2-5
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-5 22:49
Several years of experience shows that it just doesn't happen accidentally - ask any experienced fl ...

Doesn't look like it blocks off left to right,  not the one in the link anyway.  
2016-2-5
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-2-5 23:26
Doesn't look like it blocks off left to right,  not the one in the link anyway.

Youre wasting your breath (typing fingers)
2016-2-5
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-5 22:49
Several years of experience shows that it just doesn't happen accidentally - ask any experienced fl ...

Accidents will, do and have happened. Thats why its called an accident. What the hell is wrong with you?
2016-2-5
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-2-6 00:24
Youre wasting your breath (typing fingers)

Yawns...probably lol
2016-2-5
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

On first glance devices like these look  like they might be a good idea. Even if "accidental" CSC does occur (and in my opinion you'd have to be flying a manoeuvre that would likely crash the aircraft anyway even if the motors didn't shut off), there is a major flaw in a device like this (even though it's well intentioned). CSC whilst in flight is a NECESSARY fail safe.

A responsible pilot has FULL control of their aircraft at all times, which includes the ability to stop the motors at any time. If you ever have need to shut off your motors in an emergency (think spinning motors next to a child's face / aircraft flying erratically towards a major highway), then a device like this makes your flying more dangerous, not safer.

CSC is there for a reason. In an emergency your fingers / thumbs are already on the flight sticks and are therefore the quickest way to deal with it. A separate switch to start / stop the motors isn't used because in an emergency you don't have time to locate the switch and activate it. CSC is the simplest and fastest method.

As a beginner it's very easy to be paranoid about flyaway so and inadvertent CSC, but it just doesn't happen.  Read the manual, practice flight manoeuvres responsibly and know how to control your aircraft in an emergency.
2016-2-6
Use props
adeluisa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8235 ft
Spain

I think that the disaster is to have this CSC procedure because it is not safe, it must be safe witn experts and beginers.
2016-2-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Your device looks like it could be half the height and still work, probably cut off along the "embassy..." text.  It just has to prevent the stick getting all the way into the lower corners.  The lower profile would allow more opportunity for at least some yaw control during descent.

In order to invoke the combination, you'd need to be descending at maximum speed, whilst rotating or corkscrewing at full yaw, whilst simultaneously crabbing at full bore to the opposite side and backwards.  A pretty unlikely combination for a responsible flyer!

Personally, I don't see accidental CSC as a problem.  To me it is no more of a potential hazard than pushing the controls forward in an aircraft and nose-diving into the ground at full throttle.  They don't make protective gates for that either.
2016-2-6
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-6 07:37
This is really stupid and completely unnecessary.

"Since accidental CSC is such a dangerous and cat ...

what a tool..   
2016-2-6
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

Anderjon Posted at 2016-2-6 18:17
On first glance devices like these look  like they might be a good idea. Even if "accidental" CSC do ...

great explanation and advice.  I am a relatively new pilot also, my background wasn't RC, so i was worried about the CSC accidentally happening in a panic. I dont have these guards but i am always mindful of stick movements.  Its easy for an experienced pilot or someone from RC background to tell someone who isnt how un-natural the CSC movement is, but they (I) just dont get it because stick movements is something im just now learning.  Now that I have had about 30 flights behind me, I do understand its not natural and wont happen unless im intending on doing it or just in a mad panic. Hopefully the later wont happen. The CSC command is very important to have for the reasons you mentioned and a lot more, however as a brand new pilot with no RC background something to prevent them from doing it for the first few flights until they can understand the stick movements better might be a good choice to protect their investment as long as they are (and they SHOULD BE) away from anyone or anything that the quad could crash in to while flying their first missions.
2016-2-6
Use props
anandharaj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55184 ft
Malaysia

This is cool bro....
2016-2-6
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i also agree CSC is a very command but atleast maybe change how its done for in flight maybe have a pop up screen come up like when cancelling RTH.  Accidents do and will happen.  
2016-2-6
Use props
lidolido77
lvl.1

United States

I would just like to point out that to do an actual CSC emergency shut off in flight you would have to want to be
  • Going backwards
  • and rolling left (so you'd be going diagonally backwards)
  • while descending
  • and yawing right.

There is only one situation I can imagine this happening, and that's if something is rapidly approaching your P3 from just in front of it and below it and to the left and rapidly ascending on a collision course with the P3 WHILE you were also trying to turn it around clockwise. And even if this particular situation was happening (I can't even imagine the environment you're flying in) this wouldn't even be the best way to avoid it (why are you yawing at the same time? You should be using all your power to roll left).

So if you're paranoid about executing a CSC emergency stop while doing normal flying, stop worrying. It's pretty much impossible to do. You don't even hit that stick combo when you're using a racing quad, and you can pull some really crazy manuevers there. Now if you want to guard against it with this plastic governor, good for you, but seriously, it's not a thing that's going to happen in daily use; if you do do it, you deserve to lose your machine because you're a terrible flyer with little hope for improvement. Think quadcopter Darwinism.
2016-2-6
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Heres the thing, if these guys bought and paid for the Phantom then maybe they can add whatever they like that makes them feel at peace.  I have no problem what so ever with that and welcome more photos.
2016-2-6
Use props
lidolido77
lvl.1

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-2-6 15:57
Heres the thing, if these guys bought and paid for the Phantom then maybe they can add whatever they ...

Like I said, he can do what he wants, but that's not going to prevent other people from point out the general uselessness of it. Just like I can put a cap on top of my push to start button on my car in case I accidentally brushed it while driving, it doesn't hurt anything, but it's borderline paranoid.
2016-2-6
Use props
HcVcT
New

United States

Well, you can call me a beginner, an amateur, of whatever... but this DID happen to me.
Before I had my DJI Phantom 3 Pro, I had several much cheaper drones -- Syma x8c, tarantula, viper, just name a few.  They were fun as I was learning how to fly a drone.  One of the maneuvers was pull both sticks to down/in and the drone would spiral downward/backward and counter-clockwise.  Pull both sticks to down/out and the drone would spiral downward/backward and clockwise.
While trying to show my wife that I could "handle the drone", I did pull both sticks down/in (as I tried to show off to my wife before with other cheaper drones)... and "Oh, CRAP!"  it shut off in the air.  It felt from 40' and landed on the street. The gimbal broke. The body was cracked.  The worst thing was ... I was planning to take it on our family vacation to the beach in one week.
I found a good and reliable guy online to fix it.  It cost me $200 to swap my broken gimbal with his 'fixed up' one because he had no time to actually fix it in a week (given the shipping time to him and back from him).
So, yes.  I am inexperienced.  I am dumb (I do feel very dumb when my 'baby' felt from the sky and me watching helplessly ... almost in tears).  I did try to gain more experience by learning how to fly with cheaper drones.  But... yes, accident does happen.
This is my first post on here.  I purposely want to write this post to share my experience to tell other beginners... Buy the darn thing for $3 (in my case, it's just $3).  I did afterward and I am ok with it.  It would save me from the same disaster (and $200).  Don't worry about what other experts say.  This will save you.  I have it on my controller now and I can swear by it.
Happy flying, everyone.  
2017-1-28
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

adeluisa@telefo Posted at 2016-2-6 02:48
I think that the disaster is to have this CSC procedure because it is not safe, it must be safe witn experts and beginers.

so say it flys into some kids face a while you're watching the blades cut his face and hands open and his parents screaming you wish you could stop it it's there as a safety feature
2017-1-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-1-28 14:47
so say it flys into some kids face a while you're watching the blades cut his face and hands open and his parents screaming you wish you could stop it it's there as a safety feature

Do you really trhink you could react in time to shut it off, given that DJI have introduced a delay into the system to stop it happening immediately?
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Say what? Speak for yourself bro. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-28 15:48
Gosh some people in this world worry too much, I have no idea how they function.  Saw a political meme on FB today, not going into what it was about but... did you know over 700 people die in the US yearly falling out of bed?  This could be related to a combo legs and arms failure, strategically placed pillows could prevent this maybe?

That's nothing.  9 out of 10 doctors who tried camels, preferred women.  
Read it on the internet, it must be true.
2017-1-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-28 15:48
Gosh some people in this world worry too much, I have no idea how they function.  Saw a political meme on FB today, not going into what it was about but... did you know over 700 people die in the US yearly falling out of bed?  This could be related to a combo legs and arms failure, strategically placed pillows could prevent this maybe?

A lot of people live in tree houses... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does this mean that Labroids will no longer be your friend ?
2017-1-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As of 29th November 2016 it has been made even less likely that the CSC manoeuver will accidentally stop the motors on the Phantom 3 when in flight, with the introduction of firmware:-
Phantom 3 Motor stop - Copy.png
2017-1-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-29 09:57
Does this mean that Labroids will no longer be your friend ?

I'd rather be a useful tool, than a lonely fool. Hahaha

That's funny, his one and only friend, and he put him down. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-1-29
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Somehow I thought 1.10.90 was released this month.   Turns out it came out a few days after I had tested it and had to pack it away until Christmas.
Hey, it was Dad's idea we should check it out and make sure it works when it arrived the day after Thanksgiving, even though it was his Christmas present to me.
2017-1-29
Use props
fansdc5014de
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8235 ft
Spain

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-1-28 14:47

Maybe you don't understand me or maybe I don't explain well it, I say that this procedure is not safe and must be changed for other safer.
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules