Skiing with the Inspire Pro
1192 9 2016-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MichaelWoods
lvl.1

United States

I want to take my Inspire Pro to the mountains to capture footage of myself skiing etc. Has anyone ever done this before? for example in a follow me more or what not. What would you reccomend in terms of how to travel with the inspire pro to the top of the ski run (is there a special back-back?), taking off and landing and how to capture the footage  - what apps to use etc.
thanks

2016-2-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried to do just that, first of all you are going to need someone to fly the inspire, getting it to the top in the lift is a pain in the butt and lastly make sure you get everything you want filmed on the first run because when you get to the bottom the ski patrol is going to take your tag a kick you off the slopes for the day.
2016-2-5
Use props
taylorellis11
lvl.2

United States

Don't. Nuff said.
2016-2-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may want to have someone follow you with a OSMO
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

GPS signal in the mountains must be ok, sou you can try it. But  you have to  remember that you are skiing faster then inspire can fly, so don't be hurry. You would of try it on a beginner's slopes first.
2016-2-5
Use props
MichaelWoods
lvl.1

United States

I think I'm gonna get drone footage of the mountains from the bottom of the slopes as an establishing shot then cut in hand-held osmo footage of actual skiing. Plus, thinking about it, unless you're the only skiier on the piste, or you're flying extremly close to the skier (which sounds kinda dangerous to me) I'm not sure the drone footage will have the desired effect - the Osmo sounds like the way to go for that. Thanks for your help!
2016-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Before you try this, check with the ski patrol and then get their permission. If you set this up the right way, they will let you fly the inspire 1, keep away from the other skiers and be safe.

This way you will help us keep another area from becoming banned from Drone flying

Rich
2016-2-6
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also you might need a takeoff mat for the inspire on snow? Guess it depends how compacted the snow is. Phantom3 would be easy as you could take it out a backpack & hand launch it.
2016-2-9
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-6 14:36
Before you try this, check with the ski patrol and then get their permission. If you set this up the ...

Good advice Rich, it's all about public relations.  You might ruffle some feathers if you just go out there and shoot.  Pissing people off, just makes it difficult for the rest of us.
2016-2-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-2-9 21:17
Good advice Rich, it's all about public relations.  You might ruffle some feathers if you just go  ...

I have had pretty good luck with this approach so far. I was able to get some really cool shots from one our parks near the Rogue River by working with the ranger on duty. He actually came over and watched me during my flight. I invited him to look at the iPad and told him what was going on. He was hooked and very respectful of the equipment after that.  

I think that everyone can help make this a better hobby / business

Rich
2016-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules