Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which tablet for P3P - confused!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Hello all again,
I'm going around in circles reading here and other forums on the pro's and con's tablets/phones used Apple or Android. My situation, bought P3P and had a first gen iPad mini.
Read it was not (really) compatible so went out to the pawn store and bought Samsung Tab 4 7" 8gb. Granted, the P3P still in the box unopened and wating to get it ready to fly with the most current firmware installed.
I know I will get from the left and right on the best pad for the job. I hear the Tab 4 works fine but may be laggy/choppy video playback not up to the task at hand.
On the hand, I read the Nexus 7 32gb (2013) is good and the Apple iPad Air 2 also decent and recommended by both DJI/Phantom Pilots.
I want to have follow me and other features offered and read that in order to properly work, GPS need to in the tablet (cellular or built in).

Is the Nexus 7 have GPS capabilities or needs something else (Cell)?
I know Apple Wi-fi only will not cut it but a Wi-fi/Cellular one would work.

Can I have some guidance so that I may start flying in the the near future. I'm leaning towards the Air 2 but heard good things about the Nexus 7.
Any other tablets suggested also ok and will look at them as well.

Did look at the Yuneec - Typhoon 4K Quadcopter at the time of purchase but was more than the P3P on sale at Microcenter for 999.99.
Now a couple days later, Best Buy and others have the Yuneec at 899.99. I'm debating about returning the P3P and accessories bought.
But the price of the P3P allowed me to buy the case and a battery at the previous original price of the P3P only. Sort of a win-win.
Not looking to returning it because of the good press on the P3P ala camera, handling of craft, 720p vs 480p for the Yuneec, etc.

Thanks for any responses and appreciate it.

2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

I have an iPad Air2 and an iPad 4 mini (cellular) as well as an iPhone 6 plus.

Out of all three I absolutely LOVE using the iPad 4 Mini.  It has is the Optimal Size vs Weight ratio and combined with a Nushield DaVue screen film/protector i don't need a hood. - I have never noticed any lag.

Make sure you have Cellular device which has GPS on the device itself otherwise you cannot use full potential like "follow me" etc..

The iPad Air2 is nice but i find it too bulky, and after 2-3 flights, my wrists are tired & aching!
The iPhone 6S is also nice and light, but i much prefer the bigger screen size of the iPad.

I don't have experience with Android devices (as you may tell my current comms platform is Apple) so I haven't tried any Android devices yet.

As per the Quad itself... Hmmm...., Currently the best and "most Well Proven" (when compared to others) and best priced Semi-Pro Quad in the market is The Phantom/Inspire series. so whilst the jury is out, i'd very much stick to the P3. It is a Fantastic Machine.
2016-2-6
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for opening the door to some much needed answers. On the Air 2, I too noticed the size (bulkiness) but read on smooth playback of video and such. iPhone not part of the equation since I deal with Tracfone and not a major phone bill (depending on usage) hitting me every month. I looked for the Mini 4 but not seen around much in pawn stores and Craiglist. I guess you see where I find my electronics and not to date let me down.
Looking for more input guys.
2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

FlyBoy Posted at 2016-2-7 13:56
Thanks for opening the door to some much needed answers. On the Air 2, I too noticed the size (bulki ...

I read a post a while ago, on a $99 Android pad that a few people had used and worked Really Well. - cant remember which one it was, but it may be worth trawling through older posts in this forum.
2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

also see: http://forum.dji.com/thread-39178-1-1.html
2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

Ah...., Yes i think it was this:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-41081-1-1.html

But dont take my word for it, you need to research it.
2016-2-6
Use props
nix240z
lvl.1

United States

I use air2, I don't find it bulky or heavy at all.  Maybe that is because "I am straight outta sugar creek"
2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-2-7 15:57
iPad Air 2 all the way.

Look Guys, nix240z & Flyin'B - I gotta agree with you. The Screen on the Air2 is incredible! There is no noticable Lag and the video is as smooth as silk!

But when it comes to portability. (packing the ipad into the case) as well as on the RC, I just think physically the Ipad4Mini being a bit smaller, but not too small,  has the edge..

2016-2-6
Use props
Sanderds
New

United States

Ipad Air 2. I tried using a Galaxy Note 3 but on smaller screens they hide some of the software's capabilities. I'll never use anything but the Air 2.
2016-2-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use an iPad Air and an iPad mini 3. If you use an iPad Air, it easily stores in between the foam and the cover of the DJI back pack.
I also used to use a NVIDIA Shield, for $200 I think that's the least expensive device with all the features you want.
2016-2-6
Use props
nix240z
lvl.1

United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-2-7 00:44
Look Guys, nix240z & Flyin'B - I gotta agree with you. The Screen on the Air2 is incredible! There  ...

I also have the DBS mod antenna and hood, I guess this might be too much for some people, since the whole setup does weight a total of   3lbs 12.5 oz   ....  
2016-2-6
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.3

United States

I use an Ipad air and it works great.
2016-2-6
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-2-7 17:09
The air doesn't weigh that much... What do you have noodles for arms?
Get a RC harness... Problem  ...

Hahaha! - Noodles for arms.... Flyin'Bryan, That's funny.....,
Noodles for arms.jpg
2016-2-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-2-7 04:24
I read a post a while ago, on a $99 Android pad that a few people had used and worked Really Well. ...

I'm using the Lenovo 7 inch Tab 2 A7.  It's around $100.  

To the OP; choppy video play back you refer to on some tablets is more likely playing back Hi Def files on the device, not a delay whilst you're actually flying it. You only see a dowgraded live view whilst flying, so I would not worry too much.

Have you tried flying with anything yet?
Cheers
Ian

2016-2-6
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Boy, what a bunch of answers. Thanks! I don't have noodle arms and a large screen would help. I guess I would need a bracket extender for the iPad Air 2 for the controller? I'm looking for the version with cellular service. Found one for $275 at pawn shop Air 2 16 gb, Wifi/cellular would that be enough? I guess would a anti-glare cover as well.
Question on playback streaming wth any tablet while in flight, I know it's a 720p display but is that adjustable for smoother playback (that is lowering screen resolution)?
My two pet peeves is having good playback and GPS for follow me and other features utilizing GPS.
Again thanks for the recommendations.
2016-2-7
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Looks like I will go for the iPad Air 2 wifi+cellular 16gb model. Just have to confirm all features working and ready to go. I do need to know this even though it may be obvious.

When you're up and flying, I know the tablet receives what the onboard camera sees but do you initiate the recording on the controller and it's recorded on the memory card found in the P3P camera. I get confused about it. Is it recorded to the tablet as well or are you just capturing what your seeing on the screen of the tablet.

When you do have the iPad air 2 cellular, I know you don't need active cell coverage but does the pad with the built in GPS captures the information to display or relies on proximity of cell towers?
I do you have a map be used with tablet if out of area without coverage? Are you just caching the information and put on tablet?
Thanks again all.
2016-2-7
Use props
artworksmetal
lvl.1

United States

a

The Tab 4 works great for me. Follow me won't work - apparently besides GPS you also need a barometer on the device. Other than that, it does a great job.
2016-2-8
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Well, got the iPad Air 2 and be getting the P3P set up soon. Got the wifi/cellular which should help quite a bit.
For software, I know Dji Go does the job well but if I were to go Autopilot or Litchi, which would be best in the long run.
I  noticed as well another software out there called Airnest. Is it a good complimentary addon or does one of the other programs perform close to or same function?

Any answers about the recording from previous post appreciated.
2016-2-8
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

Beside the questions posed earlier by me not yet answered, when you do use the functionality of the GPS of the Air 2, do you need to have active the Cellular Data ON or is the controller/Phantom just using the GPS "chip" built in the Air 2. That is, it's said you don't need to have cell service for follow me and other features but do you need to have it on. Currently have it off since I don"t have any data plans selected.
Went out and got an Apple Sim card for future choices for a cell carrier when it's needed.
Hope you all understand my question.
2016-2-9
Use props
FlyBoy
lvl.1

United States

FlyBoy Posted at 2016-2-9 21:55
Beside the questions posed earlier by me not yet answered, when you do use the functionality of the  ...

Bump- anyone out there?
Looking at getting apps (iOS) such as Airnest, Autopilot or Litchi.
Is Airnest to compliment Autopilot or Litchi or not needed. Debating on either getting Autopilot/Airnest or Litchi/Airnest.
I read the pros and consult each  but need real world opinions.
Wasn't Airnest $9.99 a couple days ago? Saw it for that price got iTunes juiced up with cash and got back to it yesterday and it's 19.99.
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules