12Next >
4777 46 2016-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bwaler
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3314541 ft
United States

Could users post the memory cards they use that work in their Phantoms? I have purchased two additional cards from Amazon (SanDisk and PNY) and both have given SD card error messages. Yes, I've tried formatting with the drone/app as well as with Windows and Mac computers in every format possible (exFAT apparently is necessary for 64GB but I've tried FAT, NTFS, etc.) with no luck. I've read on this forum that SanDisk cards seem to have issues which is ironic. I'd like to use a 64GB card if possible.
The 8GB SanDisk Ultra that came with my Standard works great.

Thanks!
2016-2-7
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

It's more of a hit or miss with DJI than it is with cards.

I had the same issue with my P2 V+ using a professional Scandisk Extreme card. Formatting didn't do any good either. I switched it to a different Scandisk Extreme card and it worked.

2 exact same cards, but the P2 V+ would only accept one, go figure.
Anyhow, as mentioned, I run Scandisk Extreme cards...I'm not sure if Lexar makes micro cards but I woudn't have any issue using their pro cards either. Panasonic from my understanding makes the componets that goes into the Scandisk cards. So their both equally good but the SD is usually more affordable.

2016-2-7
Use props
yodertl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1245974 ft
United States

You have found the same issue I had a couple months ago with my new Phantom...I purchased a 32GB Sandisk Ultra and it had the same errors you described.  Then purchased a 16GB Sandisk Extreme and it worked fine...next, I may try a 32GB Extreme version, but the 16GB is plenty of capacity for now on my Standard.
2016-2-7
Use props
Alex_Peralta
lvl.2

Mexico

yodertl Posted at 2016-2-7 22:57
You have found the same issue I had a couple months ago with my new Phantom...I purchased a 32GB San ...

I have a Lexar 64 GBs and works perfect. Hope this helps!
2016-2-7
Use props
Voodoo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543707 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I use Samsung 32gb pro on my P3P.
2016-2-7
Use props
zutama
lvl.2

Indonesia

My new Phantom 3 Advanced came with Panasonic 16 GB pre-installed, work fine. Two weeks ago, I bought Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB, but the card that I received was bad, my computer can not read or format the card. Then, I got the replacement card just 3 days ago, no problems, and it works fine for my Phantom 3. Just make sure you get a genuine card, not a fake.
2016-2-7
Use props
daniebaldesco
lvl.1

Philippines

you can use microsd card as long as it is a class 10 or uhs 1 equivalent for hd video recording.
2016-2-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Lexar 300x 64gb

RedHotPoker
2016-2-8
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I just purchased another SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro micro SD SDHC today and it's excellent. I'm particularly impressed by the read speed when copying photos and videos from the micro SD card to the PC. Specs are 90 MB/S write and 95 MB/S read.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This subject comes up often, and in a lot of cases the poster is looking for a cheap card. They get it then come here to say it does not work. There is a simple answer to this and it is to buy a fast card in the first place. DJI say a Class 10 or UHS 1 type, but a lot of cards that claim that spec are just not fast enough.

The one card type that works flawlessly, as mentioned by other here, is the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series. Don't fall for the Sandisk Ultra series, they are not fast enough.

And always format the card in the aircraft using the Go App, as the camera always knows which format to use, your computer does not.
2016-2-8
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro micro SD SDHC
2016-2-8
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

Transcend 32GB Ultimate 95 Mb/s

$17.99 on amazon and has exactly the same specs as the SanDisk Extreme Pro. It is a no Brainer and has 5 star reviews.
2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 18:15
This subject comes up often, and in a lot of cases the poster is looking for a cheap card. They get  ...

I'm a Photographer and only buy professional cards. And I had an invalid card error on a professional card...$50 card?? I installed another exact same card and everything worked fine.

I'm telling you guys, the DJI can be a bit pickier than most cameras. Low write speed shouldn't be an issue with getting a camera to power on and innitually work, it can result in bad performance but not keep the camera from simply working.
2016-2-8
Use props
One
lvl.1

Sweden

Samsung 64GB Pro, P3S
2016-2-8
Use props
bwaler
Second Officer
United States

daniebaldesco Posted at 2016-2-7 22:45
you can use microsd card as long as it is a class 10 or uhs 1 equivalent for hd video recording.

Yes, that is clear. I posted links to the cards I purchased.
2016-2-8
Use props
bwaler
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 02:15
This subject comes up often, and in a lot of cases the poster is looking for a cheap card. They get  ...

I am fine with spending money on a working card. However, it comes with a SanDisk Ultra so clearly those are fast enough cards.
2016-2-8
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

Silicon Power 64GB - Paid $14.75 on Amazon. Haven't had an issue with it yet. Several flights.
2016-2-8
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Samsung 32GB Pro - P3A
2016-2-8
Use props
medijaa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83960 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

aopisa Posted at 2016-2-8 17:29
Samsung 32GB Pro - P3A

I use Samsung Evo+32gb on my P3A.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-9 00:20
I'm a Photographer and only buy professional cards. And I had an invalid card error on a profession ...

"I'm telling you guys, the DJI can be a bit pickier than most cameras. Low write speed shouldn't be an issue with getting a camera to power on and initially work, it can result in bad performance but not keep the camera from simply working. "

In the Blackmagic range, they test the cards and tell you which ones work properly. And it is not a huge selection, primarily Sandisk Extreme Pros. You can buy others that are not approved, but that's your risk.

I suspect that the DJI camera works out the card capabilities when you insert it, and if it is not fast enough, calls it invalid.
2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-9 06:55
"I'm telling you guys, the DJI can be a bit pickier than most cameras. Low write speed shouldn't be ...

I give up lol
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The problem with slow write performance is that there is only a finite amount of memory used as a buffer in the DJI camera. If you are taking still shots, it can afford to sit there until it has written the entire shot to the card, even if it takes some time to do it. It simply refuses to take the next shot until it is ready.

But if you are in video mode, it can't do that. The SD card must be fast enough to keep up with the data being generated by the camera, because once the buffer is full, any further data is lost. So the speed of the SD card will determine what resolution and frame rate you can use in the camera. A Phantom 3 Standard can get away with a slower card as it needs only 40 Megabits per second write rate to handle the 2.7K images, but a Phantom 3 Professional shooting 4K needs a faster card to keep up, so a 60 Megabit per second rate is necessary.

So a slower card will indeed stop the camera from operating properly, this is why it is advisable to get a really fast SD card, not one that is on the border of being acceptable.

My view is that having the camera reject a card that is too slow is a good thing, at least you can't get in the air and find it wont' shoot images properly.

2016-2-8
Use props
bwaler
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 16:46
The problem with slow write performance is that there is only a finite amount of memory used as a bu ...

I'd like to believe you but you're telling me the SanDisk Ultra 8GB card that it comes with somehow writes data faster than a U3, 90MB/s card that's specifically states in the product description that it's meant for high-throughput devices like drones?
2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-9 08:46
The problem with slow write performance is that there is only a finite amount of memory used as a bu ...

Try reading my post again, I think you missed the part where I experienced an invalid card error using a "Professional card".

It's like this:

Card A: 32GB Extreme UHS-I microSDHC Memory Card 95 mb read and 90 mb write.

Card B: 32GB Extreme UHS-I microSDHC Memory Card 95 mb read and 90 mb write.

See any difference? This is non no difference.

Okay,

Card A produced a invalid card error message. I tried reformatting in multiple times and nothing. I checked it in my Go Pro 4 Black (4k) and my Mac, everything worked great.

Card B installed and reformatted perfectly. Zero issues and works great.

I need to do a youtube video on this subject lol.
2016-2-8
Use props
brian.thekoster
lvl.1

United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-2-8 09:31
Silicon Power 64GB - Paid $14.75 on Amazon. Haven't had an issue with it yet. Several flights.

Same here.  I have two of the Silicon Power (SP) 64gb cards.  can format them with the app.  Seem to work fine and can't beat the price.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

bwaler Posted at 2016-2-9 12:20
I'd like to believe you but you're telling me the SanDisk Ultra 8GB card that it comes with someho ...

Nope, I am not telling you that at all. In fact I cannot recall saying anything like that. The Sandisk Ultra series are actually medium speed cards. The Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro are the faster ones.

And I seriuosly doubt you could have a 90MB/s card anyway, that term means 90 Mega Bytes per senod, equivalent to 720 Mega Bits per second, which does not exist.
2016-2-8
Use props
bwaler
Second Officer
United States

Everyone is being snarky and sarcastic. While I appreciate that sense of humor I'm just trying to find a card I can buy that works.

SVTRay, I get what you're saying...the same cards can inconsistently work in the aircraft. And Geebax...I get what you're saying, that they're not really 90MB/s, I'm just copying what is written on the product description. I know there is a large difference between bits and bytes.

The fact that all these cards are so inconsistent seems to speak more to how inconsistent manufacturers of memory cards are.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-9 12:36
Try reading my post again, I think you missed the part where I experienced an invalid card error u ...

I did read your post, I just did not respond. Define a "Professional Card"?

In terms of SD cards there is no professional card, just various speed ratings, of which the only one that matter is the write speed. As long as the card can write at a speed of 40 Mb/s or 60 Mb/s in the case of the P3 Pro, then it will most likely work OK.

My point is that few card makers accurately specify the write speed, often opting to publish the read speed in an effort to convince you the card is fast. So for those who do not know how to tell the difference, you are safer to buy a known good speed card. Hence my recommendation of the Sandisk Extreme series.

As to your cards, the: Card A: Extreme UHS-1 microSDHC Memory Card 95 mb read and 90 mb write I am assuming the Extreme bit means it is a Sandisk card, and also the 90 mb refers to 90 mb/s which is the correct way to write the speed rating.

As to why one card worked and the other did not, I can't say. There are a couple of possibilities, one is that Card A was a counterfeit card. I have seen photos of real and counterfeit cards in their packaging and it is near impossible to tell them apart. Your only protection is buying them from a reputable dealer.

The other possibility is the formatting. If you formatted them in a computer before putting them in the camera, that might have triggered an 'invalid card' response.

Testing the card in a Mac would tell you nothing. The GoPro test is probably valid, but I have never put a slow card into my Go Pro to see what it would do.

All of this is conjecture anyway, as DJI don't come out and say why the card produces that message. I am just working on past experience with other high end camera systems. Blackmagic cameras do test the card and will reject it if it is too slow, but they are even more obtuse and strange about it, the camera simply refuses to go into record, which annoys the hell out of users. However their cameras are often making far greater speed demands than the DJI camera, as they are trying to record RAW video files.

2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

bwaler Posted at 2016-2-9 12:51
Everyone is being snarky and sarcastic. While I appreciate that sense of humor I'm just trying to fi ...

The nomenclature of an upper case 'B' means a bytes, while a lower case 'b' means a bit. There being 8 bits in a byte makes 90 MB/s approximately 8 times faster than 90 Mb/s.

I regard cheap SD cards as being in the same category as 'cheap batteries', not worth taking the risk with. I buy my cards from a local film supply on-line shop, and I only buy Sandisk Extreme. You can buy any card you like. I figure I have explained my reasons well enough.

I agree the card manufacturers are inconsistent to some degree, but nowhere near as bad as the sellers, many just plain lie about card specs.

2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-9 09:53
I did read your post, I just did not respond. Define a "Professional Card"?

In terms of SD cards  ...

I tell you Professional card and you assume 40mb and then you want to proceed to give me the run down on how to correctly type out the card info LOL

Okay, so now that I know you guys assume Professional cards could me 40mb write speeds, I will in the future include the read/write speeds. As for how I typed that info, I cut and copied that from another site.
And no, my cards aren't counterfited nor do I have grey market gear....I don't even have 3rd party glass.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-9 13:13
I tell you Professional card and you assume 40mb and then you want to proceed to give me the run do ...

SVTRay, I think you should calm down. I did not assume 40 mb anything, nor suggest you use counterfeit card, grey market gear or alternate glass.

And there is no slight suggested about counterfeit cards, they are quite easily available from Internet sellers these days and many people have been caught out by them. THe copies are absolutely identical, except they don't work fast enough.

2016-2-8
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 16:46

Is the buffer in the camera used to give a smooth feed of information of the recording of the video?  

Chuck
2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-9 12:10
SVTRay, I think you should calm down. I did not assume 40 mb anything, nor suggest you use counterf ...

I am calm, don't I look calm?

"In terms of SD cards there is no professional card"

If you choose to believe that, it's your choice but it's simply not true...at least according to the manufactures anyhow. (and yes, they make Pro micro cards as well.)
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-9 15:58
I am calm, don't I look calm?

"In terms of SD cards there is no professional card"

OK, I apologise, but that is actually branding. As far as I am aware, there is no accepted 'Professional' grade to cards.

One point though, the Sandisk card in your photo has the speed listed on it as '95 MB/s', which is simply not true either. In using an uppercase 'B' they are using the accepted method of referring to Megabytes, not Megabits, so that infers the card is capable of writing at 760 Megabits per second, which at this point in time is not possible.
2016-2-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-9 13:10
OK, I apologise, but that is actually branding. As far as I am aware, there is no accepted 'Profes ...

Okay, I see the confusion. It comes from the Micro card side.

When talking regular sized memory cards Scandisks make an Extreme and Extreme Pro.

Extreme = 40-60mb write speed
Extreme Pro =90mb write speed

Now in the Micro cards however, Scandisk has replaced Pro with Plus. So you have an Extreme and Extreme Plus

Extreme = 40-60mb write speed
Extreme Plus = 90mb write speed
Photographers generally speaking consider any card with a write speed of 90mb or more a Professional card. So I never took a close look at the micro card names, I only view the specs.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-9 15:42
Is the buffer in the camera used to give a smooth feed of information of the recording of the video ...

The buffer is just memory, and the idea is to store the picture of the video images while the information is written to the card. In the case of a still shot, the shutter is fired and the image is written to the buffer memory, and at the same time it begins to write to the SD card. The process of writing to the card is slower than writing to the buffer, so it tends to hang the Go App for a moment while the write process is completed.

When shooting video, a similar process occurs, but writing to the card becomes a continuous process. If the card cannot be written to fast enough, then the data is discarded and the video information is lost.

Different camera manufacturers handle this in different ways, some of them throw away frames, usually called 'skipped frames' and keep writing the file. Others may simply stop writing the video file altogether and call it a lost cause. From what I have seen this last technique is what DJI do. So if you get short video clips, then it is a fair bet your SD card does not have a fast enough write speed.

2016-2-8
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 21:31
The buffer is just memory, and the idea is to store the picture of the video images while the infor ...

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I appreciate hearing from you.

Chuck
2016-2-8
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 21:31
The buffer is just memory, and the idea is to store the picture of the video images while the infor ...

Geebax:

One more question pertaining to your post.  Quote: "Different camera manufacturers handle this in different ways, some of them throw away frames".

Is this why some of the videos I see taken by dji phantom cameras seem to be jerky as if every few frames are not recorded?  Is this due in part to a sd card that doesn't have a fast read or write capability?  I'm trying to educate myself on sd cards.  Your patience in explaining this is appreciated.  Thank you.

Chuck
2016-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-9 19:23
Geebax:

One more question pertaining to your post.  Quote: "Different camera manufacturers handle ...

As far as I am aware, DJI do not skip frames, they just stop recording when the buffer overflows.

The apparent jerkiness you see is either of two things. The first is that the player you are using, or even the computer, is not up to the job. One of the easiest solutions to this is to download a free player called VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html VLC Player can usually handle playback of difficult files.

The other possibility is the slow frame rate used in high resolution video files. This appears as jerkiness when the camera is panned too quickly. Panning shots have never been a favourite of film-makers for this very reason. If they use them, then usually the pan is done very slowly.

It can also be helped by slowing down the shutter speed. Because the Phantom camera has a fixed focal-length, fixed-focus lens, control over the image exposure is done by either varying automatically the shutter speed or the ISO rating. To minimise judder in pans, it is best to slow down the shutter and decrease the ISO rating to get correct exposure.

The effect of slowing down the shutter speed is to introduce an element of motion blurring from one frame to the next. This blurring tends to reduce the jerks or judders to some extent.

In order to do this, particularly in very bright conditions, an ND filter is placed in front of the lens to reduce the light level to a manageable level. This is why DJI sell a set of ND filters, to control light level.

2016-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-9 16:29
Okay, I see the confusion. It comes from the Micro card side.

When talking regular sized memory c ...

I am glad we agree on that. Just looking at the range of microSD cards sold by Sandisk, I notice they do not print anything after the 'Extreme' label, further confusing the issue.
2016-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules