Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3S range issues
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buy Low
lvl.3

United States

everything seems to be working well on my P3 Standard except range.  Flying around my neighborhood where there are no overhead wires and no businesses, only homes.  I can only fly 100 yards or up to ~250 feet and the display starts advising me to limit range and often loses video feed to my iPad and also often initiates the RTH function.

Can I change the frequency of the wifi or other remedy? Are these range boosters worth a darn?

Thanks in advance for any real help.
2016-2-8
Use props
koine777
lvl.1

United States

Raise your altitude.
2016-2-8
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Antenna orientation will have the biggest effect.
You want to get the controller antenna as close as possible to parallel to and facing the legs of your Phantom.
2016-2-8
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.3

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-8 21:57
Antenna orientation will have the biggest effect.
You want to get the controller antenna as close as ...

Do you mean point the antenna towards the Phantom or perpendicular to it?
2016-2-8
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.3

United States

Stand on the roof?
2016-2-8
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-9 07:45

Watch this awesome video about it
2016-2-8
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-9 17:45

?? Both would be the same thing.
I meant .. You want to get the controller antenna as close as possible to parallel to and facing the legs of your Phantom.
2016-2-9
Use props
foxy-stoat
lvl.1

United Kingdom

You can maximise the range by flying in the open away from buildings, trees etc and correctly positioning the antenna.

You can increase the range by any of the following, listed in cost order;

Windsurfer mod
ARGtek mod
DBS mob
2016-2-9
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.3

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-9 15:34
Watch this awesome video about it
https://youtu.be/EHoGvvCbukA

Awesome response.  Thank you.  Wish you could fly some lefse to me   (wife is Norwegian)
2016-2-9
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Long Range Lefse

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-9 17:21
Awesome response.  Thank you.  Wish you could fly some lefse to me   (wife is Norwegian)

Hehe yea Lefse is great stuff
If you have a Sjømannskirke where you live they serve stuff like that in their cafe's
Just don't try the Brunost

Norwegian Drone Friendly wife huh?
You da MAN!
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let me know if the best antenna practices video worked for you and now you get the range you are expecting.
2016-2-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The unfortunate reality is that some of the Standards,  mine included,  have a serious range problem.  On mine,  to get even advertised range required me to use a 5 watt amplifier.  It seems some standards have ranges which exceed factory claims,  some way less.  This forum is full of posts on the subject.  I ended up buying an Advanced.  But if that is not an option for you,  I suggest you return it for repair or trade for a new one until you get a good one.
2016-2-9
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.4

United States

250 or 300 feet of distance, man that is $hit.
Should get that much flying from inside his garage....well maybe not inside the garage, but something is definitely wrong here.
Has this been this bad from the start?
Lot of the Standards have been having loose antenna wire issues. I know when I broke my antenna doing the Inspire Mount upgrade
I tried to fly it when I thought I got the antenna wire reconnected properly and did not.
I got only about that distance that the OP was getting. I seriously think he has something wrong with the antenna other than the positioning.
Am I wrong here? Have I lost it? Kneepuck! Throw me a rope............ Come on, you know your Kin........
2016-2-9
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

There are so many posts with people complaining about poor range on the Standard. I think it is the nature of the wifi. Many have good luck, but others can't get out very far. I had a Standard and got a mix of both. It has a lot to do with wifi interference (other wifi,trees, buildings, etc.) and your altitude. There were places I could fly out to about 1800 feet. Other places I could not get out more than a few hundred feet without losing the signal.

In the end I just could not deal with not knowing if I was going to be hampered by limited range. I returned the Standard and got the Advanced. Night and day difference and not just with the huge increase in range.
2016-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules