Label Makers
2350 20 2016-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

What is the best type/brand and what kind of tape?

Will be used to label items that will be exposed to some of the elements (like my quad).  Seriously, I want a different solution for the various things I need to label that are quad related, including the quad.  What works best?  Embossing type or printing type?

Someone must be using something where the applied labels stand up to flying and all that goes with it.  Doesn't have to be hand held, can be a desktop unit.  I just want something that works and the labels are not falling off all the time.
2016-2-9
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

I'm in love with my Brady BMP-21
https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/fe ... bmp21-plus-overview .  

It is more expensive than the Brother type labelers but is a professional quality device.  I use it mostly for wire labeling - nothing beats it - but you can print a 'regular' label just as easily.  

The real key to longevity is the material that the tape is made out of.  Brady has some nylon based tapes which are designed to work in difficult environments and they are much more robust than even the laminated Brother labels.  I'm not sure I would buy one just to label drone things but if you do any sort of wiring work you'll love it.

And, as a bonus, you get tech support with a real live engineer.  The only problem I had was a wonky display.  Turns out that the brand new Radio Shack batteries I installed had a dead cell - the tech diagnosed the issue as a voltage problem, I put another set of batteries in and it's worked ever since.  Looks the the newer versions have a rechargable battery, oh well, another wall wart...
2016-2-9
Use props
nix240z
lvl.2

United States

WetDog Posted at 2016-2-9 21:22

I use the same unit...good stuff
2016-2-9
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

I use my Brother P-Touch  Model PT1700
Works just fine.
2016-2-9
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

WETDOG: It is more expensive than the Brother type labelers but is a professional quality device.  I use it mostly for wire labeling - nothing beats it - but you can print a 'regular' label just as easily.  

I see you may be one of them electrical / electronic fellas?
In that business myself. Almost 40 years.
2016-2-9
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

WetDog Posted at 2016-2-9 21:22

Settled.  Exactly what I wanted.  Thank you.

2016-2-9
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

I just use a brothers unit from Office Depo...can't recall the specific model.
2016-2-9
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

nrgwise Posted at 2016-2-9 22:03
Settled.  Exactly what I wanted.  Thank you.

lt looks great, l might invest in one of these too. When l clicked on the Cdn currency, they're really taking a hit. It went from $99 US to $105 CDN, and it should be closer to $145.
2016-2-10
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2016-2-10 08:20
lt looks great, l might invest in one of these too. When l clicked on the Cdn currency, they're re ...

Are you complaining it is not more expensive?
2016-2-10
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

nrgwise Posted at 2016-2-10 08:33
Are you complaining it is not more expensive?

Never
l'm going to nip out and buy them before they put the price up.
2016-2-10
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-2-9 17:45
WETDOG:  It is more expensive than the Brother type labelers but is a professional quality device.   ...

Actually, it's sort of a hobby for me.  Or perhaps my entire waking life.   Rewiring my 22 foot boat now.  Last year finished up a two year rebuild of a sailboat.  Lotsa wires.
2016-2-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brother P-Touch, you can get a basic one for less than $20 most anywhere.
2016-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A local forum friend here, printed me off three, for free. ;-)
Reward and my home phone number.

Not that I will ever need them, as my drone is not prone to failure... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just use a black sharpie and write all my details on all 4 blades!
2016-2-10
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Well thanks for all the input.  It will be used for much more than my quad stuff.  Being an electronic engineer gets me into all kinds of stuff.  I did order the Brady BMP21.  It has all the options I will need for use in the plant as well as a nice assortment of label materials that I already ordered 4 cartridges of different tapes for different uses.  The electrical symbols will be especially helpful at work.
2016-2-10
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Shocked!  I have a PO Box, no mailbox in front of my house.  It is Sunday, I see a mail truck at my neighbor's mailbox.  Mail delivery on Sunday?  Must be something special for Valentine's day or something.  Then he drives away down the road to my next neighbor's driveway, turns around and pulls into my driveway.  He drops off a box with all 5 items I recently ordered from Amazon.  I did not ask for any special delivery nor did I pay for one - just checked my invoices.  So wow!  My label maker came today, I braved the -31 degree wind chill and ventured out for batteries.  

I have to say, I am very pleased with my choice and I thank those who recommended it and those with other recommendations as well.  This unit is so easy to use, so capable, and just darn nice to hold and use.  Glad I bought extra cartridges.  I can already see I will need more.  I bought this for home use first (I figured one time labeling of quad stuff and a few other things) and then to use at my work.  Since having it in my hands for the better part of the afternoon, I have already used up most of the tape that comes with it.

This really is a nice unit.  I would say the Cadillac of Label Makers.
2016-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I was only just now, bragging to some folks on another forum, about the spring like weather we have been experiencing, here in sunny Alberta.
It was another balmy afternoon, still +4*C right now and we can hardly believe our good fortune. ;-)
Post pics of your labeler.

RedHotPoker
2016-2-14
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-2-14 18:00
I was only just now, bragging to some folks on another forum, about the spring like weather we have  ...

Wetdog posted a link above with an excellent overview and pics.
2016-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sophisticated model... ;-) very professional for the active duty handyman, and general hobbiest  alike.

RedHotPoker
2016-2-14
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-2-14 18:30
Sophisticated model... ;-) very professional for the active duty handyman, and general hobbiest  ali ...

All I know is I love it!  
2016-2-14
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I use this one: Rhino 5200
2016-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now