4292 28 2016-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can DJI please confirm or deny that v1.7 will be a mandatory update? I'm guessing they want to force everybody on to the GEO system?

2016-2-10
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

It will be mandatory.
No word on content beyond Geofencing. That will be US centric at first.

I hope that we will see a fix for the many issues on the 'to be fixed list', but I don't believe we will see much.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-2-10 09:25
It will be mandatory.
No word on content beyond Geofencing. That will be US centric at first.

But you're not from DJI so you can neither confirm or deny it!
2016-2-10
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

No, thankfully I'm not.
But all the regular sources are agreed on this one.

Time for our tablets to go on extended airplane mode for a while.

2016-2-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-10 08:10
I really, really hope that they don't force this one on us. I cannot stomach the downgrades.

I was  ...

with the cold weather firmware update my inspire pro will barely climb now and when your shooting video at 400 ft. while moving at full speed it looks like im taking a still shot it's moving so slow. I'm sure with the mandatory geo update the current altitude limit of 500 meters will become 120 meters. No worries though it won't be long DJI will have some good competition.
2016-2-10
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Im curious how they intend , to force you to upgrade..
2016-2-10
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-11 05:54
Im curious how they intend , to force you to upgrade..

Presumably through a demand on the app. I'm sure we'll be able to use an older version of the app to avoid it, just make sure the Inspire never gets to hear from the version of the app which knows the next update is mandatory...
2016-2-10
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Hterag Posted at 2016-2-10 22:22
Presumably through a demand on the app. I'm sure we'll be able to use an older version of the app  ...

You are most likely right.... Though I'm confused as how to DJI will be able to remotely shut my current App down.  
Making changes to any program on my computer without my knowledge and CONSENT is technically hacking right?
There are some potentiall serious legal issues here, it would seem like at first glance.
I have auto updates turned off... if thats not enough Ill get rid of all my DJI products.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-11 07:43
You are most likely right.... Though I'm confused as how to DJI will be able to remotely shut my cu ...

Do not forget you do not own any software you purchase or download - you only are allowed to use it under license.
Many software modules use the 'ET Phone Home' check at periodic intervals. I have some on my PC that checks the validity of my license each time I fire it up. This involves using an internet connection obviously. If one isn't available (or I deny it), no problem....the software still loads as normal but starts a clock ticking. This clock or non internet access mode lasts for 28 days. After that time has elapsed if the software has not been able to validate itself it throws its toys out of its pram and says 'Sorry, not gonna let you play anymore until you let me phone home'
DJI can very easily incorporate this type of 'security check' into their software packages. It would be extremely unlikely that anyone would not allow the Go app not to connect to the internet in a period of a month and so for 99.99% of users it is a non issue.

Dont forget that even though you may not have the Go App running the software is having a 'check in' from time to time back to DJI.

Now, if you really want to know what DJI is up to and whats going on without your knowledge heres a list of what the Go App is doing behind the scenes outside of any Map loading etc and without it even running......

•mydjiflight.dji.com
•newrelic.com - app analytics
•djistatic.com
•flurry.com - Mobile analytics company
•conf.international.baidu.com
•baidu.com
•qbox.me (via qbox.wscdns.com)
•upgrade.dj2006.net
•pingma.qq.com
•u.dji.com
•acbe.aasky.net -type this one in a browser for a nice scare.
•tpns.qq.com
•dds.dji.com
•pilotv2.djivideos.com
•active.dji.com
•m.dji.com
•djicdn.com
www.skypixel.com
•djiexplore.com
•flysafe-api.dji.com - LOL registered to Perfect Privacy LLC  

Dont say they cant make an upgrade Mandatory
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-2-11 00:32
Do not forget you do not own any software you purchase or download - you only are allowed to use i ...

Oh im not saying that.... I know that there is always fine print.( even if DJI has to change the original deal).. I don't like it and I think its wrong to have control over  someones property after they purchase it... unless that is clearly explained at time of purchase.
Im pretty sure there is some laws to protect against this. Most won't follow up on them however.

Honestly though....I wouldn't have use for it for very long anyways if I couldn't upgrade it.  
Without being able to upgrade to new hardware and software required to use 3rd party applications....
It has an effective lifespan of about a  year  for me.
  I spent 3500 on the inspire because I wanted to be able to upgrade to FLIR Camera and eventually even have a possibility of  a small  Lidar Camera and  perhaps RTK sensors.
and most likey  a bunch of other goodies I might decide to hang off of it.
I like the Idea of modular and since DJI was an industry Leader the Idea of their SDK sold me.

I should have built a custom rig... or bit the bullet and bought a mission specific rig.  but getting mission specific hardware and software can become an expensive headache in a hurry. Especially when missions might change .... Modulaur and industry standard  equipment  is a beautiful Idea.

Unfortunately as new as this technology is..... I am in a position that I have to demonstrate the potential  benifiets and a solid  proof of concept to perspective clients.

If all works well I will ultimately move to a fix wing job something like tremble's UX-5 http://uas.trimble.com/ux5. For the package I will want with RTK and Lidar capability I'm looking upwards of 30k-50k.  

I will need to have some Oil field clients, utility inspections,  and quarry sites sold on the idea  before that time. Because I am a construction and site surveyor, I work with inspection services, civil engineering and safety professionals on a daily basis,  Im in a good position to market this....I see a big oppurtunity and im hoping to make a go of it, Ive got about 13k out of my pocket invested in equipment just to prove the concept well enough to bring certain ideas to market at this point.
Even at that upper level I hope to reach with the higher end systems..  There is still a place for a small handy multi rotor with a good camera and FLIR system.  So In the end none of this investment  needs to be wasted.. not even a measley 13k

I hope DJI doesn't make me regret doing business with them......
2016-2-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

If this was 3DR or GoPro - would you be saying these same things? Just wondering.
Close to 2 decades ago, Intel announced it would be collecting information on usage of their processors there was a strong response from vocal critics. They bit the bullet initially but the 'send diagnostic information' continued later. No fuss. In fact everyone does it for good reasons and if you don't, e.g. Boeing's 777 aircraft that got lost over Thailand, you get criticized for not keeping tabs sufficiently.

Google and Facebook know the movements and purchasing patterns of the typical consumer better than a vast majority and people still use their services.

I don't think that DJI is being evil. The US FAA is mandating a lot of these things and to some extent they are for everyone's good/

BTW, Tharg's post was correct. We don't OWN most commercial software. One is granted a licence to use it. Read the T & C.

2016-2-11
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-11 10:13
Oh im not saying that.... I know that there is always fine print.( even if DJI has to change the or ...

Umm....I dont think you will be using the Inspire anytime soon for anything near an Oil field/rig ot Gas Plant or similar.
It is not Atex certified (HAZLOC for the US guys).
2016-2-11
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

I don't mind a mandatory update, but ONLY if it actually improves on the previous firmware. Unfortunately the system is simply becoming more toy like. Like Paul says, having adverts before you can fly the aircraft is unacceptable, and utterly ridiculous for professional application. I will certainly be looking towards a custom X8 system or something like the Freefly Alta (which ironically given its size folds up smaller and more portable than the Inspire!)

Such systems are a whole new tier, and more expensive, but if work has to be turned down due to NFZ's and software limited performance on the Inspire, maybe the work that is picked up will mean that using the Inspire works out more expensive in the long term, DJI, please pull your socks up and please listen to your users.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-2-11 20:22
Umm....I dont think you will be using the Inspire anytime soon for anything near an Oil field/rig  ...

Its's already being done at many oil refineries for inspections, some companies use the Inspire and some use other brands.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GEO Beta app is 2.4.4 and 1.7 aircraft is just a Beta app. If it does become a full version app we'll have to wait and see.
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-2-11 03:22
Umm....I dont think you will be using the Inspire anytime soon for anything near an Oil field/rig  ...

I can promise you with 100% certainty... You are wrong
These are already being used for flare stack inspections, pipeline inspections and a ton of other things... I will provide proof if you'd like.
2016-2-11
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-11 21:46
I can promise you with 100% certainty... You are wrong
These are already being used for flare stack ...

I believe you so it makes a mokery of Atex/Hazloc then?
Does that mean people can smoke in these environmemts now then?
Clearly everyone who purchased one of these has wasted their money http://drone-atex.fr/index.php/fr/
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-2-11 13:38
I believe you so it makes a mokery of Atex/Hazloc then?
Does that mean people can smoke in these e ...

No.... The Atex drone has a very specific purpose.  Im glad to realize the brand exist. Thank you!

However there are many areas where the explosive environment does not exist or  the threat can be minimized temporarily through engineering. Ventilation control, Environment control gas monitoring and such.
Most plants do the majority of their works during plan shut downs where these engineer'd environments are in place. Things like Welding need to take place in this time frame. thus there or no other options.

Not every area in a plant is considered (classified) that is what we term it.  

we are also in the dark ages as for as procedures go considering UAV's,  As compared to you guys in the UK who have had a system for quite some time.  

Drone such as you link might well be, ( most likely will be)  mandatory for this type of work in the future.  however here we are still trying to perfect the wheel.  

2016-2-11
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-10 07:10
I really, really hope that they don't force this one on us. I cannot stomach the downgrades.

I was  ...

If you purchase the inspire 1, which is an actual product and not a software, how is it that DJI can force you to do anything with your product? It isn't a lease option and is an actual product purchase. I don't get it. I have my wifi turned off, months back somehow DJI hit my iPad Air II doing an auto update and I didn't even know it. I have since not updated again and have wifi turned off due to that reason.
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-11 21:08
If you purchase the inspire 1, which is an actual product and not a software, how is it that DJI c ...

I have done the same for now.... but once again, this can only serve as a temporary fix.
I honestly look for this hardware to eventually be jail broke.  Thus you will be able to run the drones completely with 3rd party software.
The courts in The USA have already ruled this to be perfectly legal with cell phones, as long as you own the hardware.
Once DJI creates a market for this.... the go App will be a thing of the past.
I however will not be the first to experiment
2016-2-11
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-12 00:24
I have done the same for now.... but once again, this can only serve as a temporary fix.
I honestl ...

I can see it going to that. Anything can be hacked and thus is no problem for me. I own the aircraft and I have the American right to do what I want with it, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others. I don't like the idea that someone is putting a grip around my neck and choking the life out of me. Making it a MUST to update bothers me. When there are still known issues with the inspire 1. Don't get me wrong. I love it but not the idea of making me do something I don't want to do.
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-11 21:29
I can see it going to that. Anything can be hacked and thus is no problem for me. I own the aircra ...

hahaha

thats because we are Americans .... we like our privacy and right to property.

It will come to that....if people are jail breaking iPhones to get out of apples bulls?? .... they are going to hack the phantoms and inspires as well.   All it takes is t the demand for it to become great enough.
And thats perfect legal to do here in the good ole USA. If DJI dosent like that ...well dont sell them here

2016-2-11
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-12 00:34
hahaha

I love America and our constitution. I'm not about to give up my guns, ammo, 30 round magazines, land etc etc to anyone. Same goes with the inspire 1. I own it, I paid for it and I have the receipt that states so! And to allow someone to tell me I must do an update, for what? And what if I don't?

There is a flip side to the coin and most of us need to keep this in mind. If we need a repair job and you will, well… guess what, there goes the update. just like that. But I'm certain there will be hacks in the future and this will balance things out.

First it was our guns and their still working on that, and now it's the damn drones. Go figure, right?
2016-2-11
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-12 00:34
hahaha

I love America and our constitution. I'm not about to give up my guns, ammo, 30 round magazines, land etc etc to anyone. Same goes with the inspire 1. I own it, I paid for it and I have the receipt that states so! And to allow someone to tell me I must do an update, for what? And what if I don't?

There is a flip side to the coin and most of us need to keep this in mind. If we need a repair job and you will, well… guess what, there goes the update. just like that. But I'm certain there will be hacks in the future and this will balance things out.

First it was our guns and their still working on that, and now it's the damn drones. Go figure, right?
2016-2-11
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

I agree 100%. there goes any DJI software and the warranty.

This might also present a problem to professional users  as insurance companies might very well require the manufactures software to insure.... there no telling what requirements the FAA might want to issue a sect 333 in the future.

However in my opinion software is something that DJI has proven time and time again not to be among one  of its strong suits.... Sort of like Dell engineers create great computers , but i use Microsoft office for my day to day task.

if this industry gets big enough, that some of the bigger software gurus get interested.  DJI GO APP will quickly become extinct.
I for one think that we the consumer have nothing to lose by this.
I'm just curios how long it will take once  DJI releases a draconian geo-fence.

2016-2-11
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-12 03:53
On the subject of licencing for software - you may have accepted an EULA to use the app. To the best ...

Paul ... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense some bad vibes around DJI brand appearing recently more often. What is the reason for that, or perhaps many reasons? This thread is a good example of my observation: the conspiracy theory ...
Is it because the scale of  "drone phenomenon" overgrown DJI's capability do deal with? Is it because the scale of their success made them so arrogant? To the point that you are prepared to take such desperate actions against them? I don't know, I'm confused ... I'm spending good 2-3 hours daily reading all related forums and the more I do, the more I'm confused. Did I bought a dead cow for $5K? I've purchased I1Pro two months ago and I didn't fly it yet because of sub-zero temperatures, blizzards and all that Canadian winter stuff. I'm obsessed by the vision of battery failure due to a widely controversial firmware upgrade ... Now I'm staring at the Go app screen and wonder "Do they see the mole on my chin?" ...
2016-2-13
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-13 06:43
I'm sorry if I misunderstand your post. I'll write this and then try to see if I have answered you ...

"Have I answered your question to any degree of satisfaction?"

Yes, with usual eloquence. You've supported my suspicions that the scale of business last year overwhelmed DJI's ability to correctly address many issues related to fair marketing and after sale customer service. They're still eager to sell and milk that cow to death, they're still less prone to properly and swiftly answer our questions and address our concerns. Phenomenal demand and not adequate service capabilities created natural, probably false impression of them being arrogant, nonchalant and evil money makers. By the time the dust sets down, many disappointed customers will continue to express their anger at places like this one. On the other hand DJI must be credited for successful civil adaptation of one of the most amazing technology known to mankind, their after sale service seems to improve. After all, happy customers do not post here. Too bad we don't know the statistics ... How many Inspire birds was sold to date, how many of us is piloting without a problem whatsoever, how many of us is struggling with weird issues? ...

Hats off for you and for many others with enough energy to fight for the right to be treated fairly. I'm with you. Watch for ninjas on your backyard at night (motion sensors?) ...
2016-2-13
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-12 05:53
On the subject of licencing for software - you may have accepted an EULA to use the app. To the best ...

Hey, Paul

Not sure if it was on purpose or by coincidence, but thanks for steering this conversation back on course.
2016-2-15
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

The problem is that ANY app for this drone does ONLY work after it called back to DJI after installation. So DJI actually can force that an app asks for firmware 1.7 under some circumstances

- you have a new tablet and install the apps there the first time
- you forget to turn wifi and get some undesired autoupdate

Problem is once this happened it cannot be circumvented with installing older apps as they just may not get authorized to work anymore at their first callback. This will first happen with DJI GO but can also happen to all 3rd party apps.

However there will be no way to force an update as long as you use existing apps on a existing tablet and never turn on wifi again. But how you get the maps then in the tablet?

Some special scenarios which could be unsafe still remain:
- what happens if you enable wifi but do not run DJI GO -----> will it autodetect wifi call home and disable itself until updated? Probably a firewall which completely isolated DJI GO would help then.
- due to bad programming the cached allowance could expire. There are some glitches which could require reaccess to the internet.

Sooner or later it could also happen that your tablet gets damaged or obsolete or the drone needs a repair. Both could end free flying.

Some legal questions also left: was there anywhere written in the package you purchased that updates of any kind have to be allowed by you to keep it useable? If not best thing would probably be to refuse update and return it for full refund.

Last solution could also be to raise funds and hire a hacker/cracker to solve the problem with any callbacks. This would permanently solve the problem at least with the software and may be the step forced into when switching to a new tablet. The downside is you stay then with this version forever but thats probably still better then the update horror we experience all over the time since months.

Even a step more forward would be a customized firmware but I dont know if this is actually possible as someone needed to decrpyt it, access the Inspire rom ........... and make no mistakes Probably impossible.

PS: As I already have shown that NFZs in Europe are false and prevent flying in many areas where its allowed I will under no circumstances install 1.7 and will take any action necessary.

2016-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules