Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Computer Or Fix Old One?
1798 14 2016-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
longislandcampe
lvl.1

United States

I bought a basic desktop computer in October 2012.  I don't remember the cost but it was probably around $400 at Best Buy.  Lately it's been acting really slow.  Basically unusable.  Virus and spyware scans come up clean.  

I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring the computer in to be fixed or to look at a new one since basic video editing is a new thing for me with my drone.  I use light works for my editing.  I have a P3A and I also incorporate some iPhone 6s+ video into my edits as well.  

Any suggestions?
2016-2-10
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.1

United States

Hey Longisland,

Just went through the same thing...long story short bought a new one
(Well actually built a new one)

Quad core 3.30 GHz
32G Ram
64 bit operation system
Sony Vegas
GTX 960 Video card
ans USB3 ports

What a difference from my old computer...its like greased lighting baby
2016-2-10
Use props
RodB
lvl.3

Australia

At $400 its probably not very fast even when brand new , you may be able upgrade ram and graphics card but the motherboard will be a limitation to hardware you can use  if you wanna edit video .

If its running really slow its your software environment , components dont run slow like a car  engine wears out  they are like a light bulb its on or off , the slowness is just the PC  getting bogged down by software or malware  , just do a reformat or system restore it to when its was new , it should run the same as it ever did .
2016-2-10
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.4

New Zealand

" around $400 at Best Buy" - This is probably the problem, at that price it is probably is speeced quite low.

Is it an Desktop or Laptop? The best solution might be to factory reset and see if that solves your problem?

If's it's an desktop it could be worth staying with what you have an upgrading some parts.

If it's a laptop, you're upgrading options are normally limited to adding more RAM, and swapping out the HDD for an SSD, although a lot of modern laptops are being designed so you can't upgrade or add more RAM.

Without more details about your computer, it will be pretty hard to give a recommendation. If you right click "My Computer" and select properties, and screenshot the window it will atleast give us an idea of what you have.
2016-2-10
Use props
terrylewis
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or, just buy one online -> Dell Inspiron
2016-2-10
Use props
Fly Girl
lvl.1

United States

New bird = New computer

Just like the old days when a new version of MS windows came out
it was time to get a new computer...
2016-2-10
Use props
CaveDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Fly Girl,  Absolutely get an SSD drive in what ever system you end up buying.  I have a 5 year old laptop that I use for work, it used to take 3-4 minutes to boot up.  When I replaced the drive with a Samsung 512 GB SSD drive, it boots in 15 seconds!  Like a brand new computer for $200.00
2016-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I still have my old Pentium 3 500MHz, running Windows XP. 13 gig hard drive. Haha
But have already upgraded to the HP Envy  Phoenix... A Dream machine, liquid cooled monster...

RedHotPoker
2016-2-10
Use props
longislandcampe
lvl.1

United States

Any idea on how much a new one will run?
2016-2-10
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.4

New Zealand

longislandcampe Posted at 2016-2-11 09:37
Any idea on how much a new one will run?

Anywhere from $250 to $25,000+
2016-2-10
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.4

United States

Good article.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/pc/build-the-best-video-editing-pc-possible-for-500-1302156
2016-2-10
Use props
Fly Girl
lvl.1

United States

My last computer was about  $800 for a pretty good one.
All depends what you are going to use it for you can get a little slower CPU if you get a better video card.
Memory is very important and I agree with Cavedrone the new SSD's are GREAT!  
Last years models can be found at a good discount and still be much better then your 2012 model
2016-2-11
Use props
longislandcampe
lvl.1

United States

Ok, so I bought a new computer and it just arrived about 3 hours ago.  Currently in the process of transferring data from my old computer to the new one over my network.
2016-2-18
Use props
scgene31
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17802 ft
United States

just added a 27 inch iMac last weekend {1589.00 for a 1999.00 open box from Best Buy} to go along wth the 21 inch iMac, no more windows PC for our house
2016-2-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Just use an old Sucuba.  It will work fine
2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules