Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 ND Filter(s) Discussion/Help
5930 11 2016-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wagoudeau90
lvl.3

United States

After exhaustive research on X5 filters, and no conclusive decision or evidence, I am asking for a discussion. Specifically, what X5 filters do (you) recommended/have used before. Please note, I am not looking for a suggestion to buy and try, but rather concrete evidence of examples used that work. The majority of confusion is in the weight of ND filters, and how that weight affects the X5 camera. Weight that is too much can create wobble and possibly hinder/damage the camera motors.

I am familiar with DJI's X3 filters, and use them today. I agree that they are good quality. With that being said, I hope DJI will release their own X5 filters, or provide a list of approved third parties. But with all DJI products, we have to do a majority of research ourselves...

For purposes of this discussion, let's look at the DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH stock lens. This is a great lens. Now, let's set the stage. Imagine you are flying in a zero cloud environment with extremely bright conditions. Obviously we are going to blow the histogram with zebras and overexposure warnings. Hence, we need a ND filter (assuming viewers of this post are familiar with the need of ND filters in bright to extremely bright sunshine environments).

Now to some research on camera/lens weight…

•        (DJI website) Weight (Standard Lens, Balancing Ring, Lens Hood, Micro SD Card Included) - 526 g
•        (Research on other forums) Weight of factory lens hood for DJI MFT 15mm – 16 g
•        (Research on other forums) Weight of DJI stock balancing ring – 13 g
o            Unfortunately, I do not see the balancing ring weight on the DJI website.
•        (Research on other forums) Weight of DJI 15mm f/1.7 lens – 126 g (without covers, filters or lens hood)
•        (DJI website) Weight of DJI 15mm f/1.7 lens – 115 g (without covers, filters (balancing ring here?) or lens hood)
•        (Research on other forums)   =  Weight of Zenmuse X5 camera and mount minus MFT lens - 393g
o            Unfortunately, I do not see the Zenmuse X5 camera and mount minus MFT lens weight on the DJI website.

Now to the X5 ND filter choice (I am assuming here price is not a variable in buying ND filters as we spent around 5k just for the machine)…

Neewer Filter ND8 – 10 g
•        http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Ult ... words=DJI+X5+FILTER

Polar Pro ND8 – 6 g
•        https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... -zenmuse-x5-filters

Tiffen – No idea on weight
•        http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-46m ... ilter/dp/B00004ZC92

B&W Variable ND Filter – not sure, maybe around 28 g
•        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... no_mc_nd_vario.html

According to my research, Filters must have a weight of 7-11g, with those weighing 10-11g performing the best. Outside this range, the filter will decrease gimbal performance. DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH supports filters with a size of 46mm.

The balancing ring that comes with the stock MFT les is around 13 g. Our choices in picking an ND filter should replace that 13 g. Both Neweer and Polar Pro could work by replacing the balancing ring with their ND filters (not stacked of course!).  Although, the weight of both ND filters might require a balance to the camera. Want to tape a coin to your camera? I do not.

The B&W ND filter might work if you remove the balancing ring, put the ND filter on and exclude the lens hood.
As you can see from the above comparisons, ND filters for the X5 can be a critical choice for both your commercial, hobby and the camera itself. The wrong choice can lead to a multitude of problems. I have seen multiple videos with a few of the above filters on, but you do not know what might be on the camera to balance (if any).

I have yet to purchase any of the ND filters. I welcome all discussion, and want to help/thank everyone on this forum!
2016-2-11
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought this variable K&F Concept 46mm slim ND filter from ebay. It balances well. I take off the hood & then screw this onto the lens weight filter (stock). It works very well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181982 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also have the olympus 45mm and the same filter but in 37mm. It could probably use an extra weight on the front but it works pretty well. (I need to fly a bit more with it first)

I also have a 46mm circular polariser & 37mm - 46mm step up filter to add the 46mm polariser to the olympus lens (this helps balance it out)
2016-2-11
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.4

United States

You will probably find a 1.8 (6 stop) ND filter about right most of the time.

I’m using the German made B&W 1.8 ND weighs about 18g

And to keep it balanced for night shots, the B&W UV haze  
because it weighs the same as the 1.8 ND

Except for the standard DJI 1.7 mm lens, the rings look like a balancing nightmare. Even if you balance the pitch, you will be out of balance in roll unless your lens weighs the same as the 1.7mm DJI (and it doesn’t).
Apparently DJI isn’t concerned about the roll balance, maybe it’s within a tolerable level? I prefer to balance it.

I use small counter weights (US coins: a nickel on roll and a quarter on pitch) HS double-back taped to the camera for perfect balance with the Olympus 12mm, no rings, just the 18g  filter.

If the coins are too cheesy looking for your taste, you could paint the coins flat black or use something else instead of the coins.

2016-2-11
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.3

United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-2-11 13:03
I bought this 46mm slim ND filter. It balances well. I take off the hood & then screw this onto the  ...

Dopey - I am not sure what ND filter brand you are referring to on "this 46mm slim ND filter."

2016-2-11
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.3

United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-2-11 13:28
Dopey - I am not sure what NF filter brand you are referring to on "this 46mm slim ND filter."

ND*. A misspelling on my part.
2016-2-11
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.3

United States

doctrrf Posted at 2016-2-11 13:15

I’m using the German ...

doctrrf - To confirm, you are using the Olympus 12mm only, not the DJI MFT stock? Have you tried any filter on the stock DJI MFT?
2016-2-11
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Forgot to add the link sorry now updated.
2016-2-11
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.3

United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-2-11 14:43
Forgot to add the link sorry now updated.

I do not see the weight of the filter listed on the description. Are you using this filter on the DJI stock lens without any counterbalance?
2016-2-11
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.4

United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-2-11 11:34
doctrrf - To confirm, you are using the Olympus 12mm only, not the DJI MFT stock? Have you tried a ...

Yes, the Olympus 12mm. I  don't have the DJI lens.

I know you don't want to use external (non-DJI) weights but, if you want the best balance possible you should consider it.
2016-2-11
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2016-2-11 20:51
I do not see the weight of the filter listed on the description. Are you using this filter on the  ...

Yes I take off the lens hood (you can't have the ND & lens hood anyway) & attached the variable ND to the DJI balance filter & put on the DJI 15mm lens. For the 45mm I use a step up  filter & put the variable ND filter on it.

Basically just buy some stuff & play with it. See what works.
2016-2-29
Use props
thansen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 903602 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

doctrrf Posted at 2016-2-11 21:15

I’m using the German ...

Could you post a picture showing where and how you have taped the counter weight ?
2016-4-25
Use props
thansen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 903602 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I have bought a Heliopan variable nd filter before reading this topic. I t weighs 51 g and the balancing ring and hood weighs 30 g. I got the panasonic / Leica 15 mm f1.7 lens attached on a x5 on the OSMO  
Anyone with an opinion on this before trying it out.

Is it to much to balance with 20 g attached on the back if I take of the balance ring and hood.
I'm thinking stress on the motors and wobble?

If some of you have tried
2016-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules