Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Ole "New Firmware Trick"
1584 14 2016-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gustofusion
lvl.4
United States

They fall for it every time....

2016-2-11
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Very cryptic and not at all self explanatory - private joke is it? :-)
2016-2-11
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.4

United Kingdom

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
2016-2-11
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

2016-2-11
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.4
United States

Have ya ever noticed the guy that buys a Phantom, opens the box, charges the battery and just fly's, seems the problems come into play when he learns that there is such a thing as "The Firmware Update"
2016-2-11
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

I'm in IT and definitely believe in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  It's hard to completely learn something if it keeps changing.
2016-2-11
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-12 08:16
Have ya ever noticed the guy that buys a Phantom, opens the box, charges the battery and just fly's, ...

I agree, the process is different between models and not in the least intuitive. DJI needs to improve the system of updating.
2016-2-11
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

I will say I update if there is a compelling reason to do so, new features, bug fixes, etc.  But only after letting the early adopters work out the bugs.  On a PC bugs are usually minor, on a $800 quadcopter bugs can be expensive!
2016-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What falls, your hair? ;-)

Buy a hair piece. Hahaha
Let it fall where it may.
Or sport it in the fall, and let it fall in May...

Wigwam = Wig Warm. Hehe

RedHotPoker
2016-2-11
Use props
SpaceBass
lvl.1
United States

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-11 16:16
Have ya ever noticed the guy that buys a Phantom, opens the box, charges the battery and just fly's, ...

mean when the app you launch for the first time tells you in red that the firmware is out of date?

Sorry...recently been through this. If DJI is going to throw a flag at a user, I think it's reasonable to expect the kind of people who are buying these things to go and try and update.

Also, if I'm misunderstanding your sentiment, I'm entirely open to being told so
2016-2-11
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.4
United States

I suppose my thoughts were that so many are new to the hobby and have this belief that a new firmware means "better", as if it would make them better at the controls and in a way crash proof along with adding new "miraculous features" not realizing at some level there are firmware limitations with hardware interaction. I've always asked myself if a company released firmware every week would there be someone who updated every week.
2016-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-12 12:35
I suppose my thoughts were that so many are new to the hobby and have this belief that a new firmwar ...

Drones are an emerging technology. That naturally means improvements can be made almost continuously, so it is fair to have frequent firmware/software updates. Any company who does not issue updates is not improving their product. But the process could be more homogenous.

The thing I tire of the most is a new user who takes the thing out of the box, immediately goes into update mode and it all fails because the process is so flaky. They get crapped off at DJI, the world and everyone and next thing are on this forum complaining about their inability to update.

My advice is always to fly the thing and get to know it first, updates can wait until you know what you are doing.

2016-2-11
Use props
Username Here
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-11 20:40
Drones are an emerging technology. That naturally means improvements can be made almost continuousl ...

Is this why all the P2V+ owners have had their range extenders bricked with DJI's latest "improvement via updating?"
2016-2-11
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.4
United States

I'm personally satisfied with the versions I'm running and the version of the pilot app. At this point I wouldn't update if it dropped quarters, nickles and dimes out of the receiver into my hand.
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules