Hot Swapping Batteries
3338 7 2015-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pabbamonto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I carelessly pulled out a battery out of P2 V+ and put in a new one.  It seemed to not matter that I did not power down.  I thought I may have damaged something but the battery turned on on its own and everything seemed normal.  Since then I have looked at the manual and there is nothing about hot-swapping batteries.  Online there are a couple of vague refferences to the concept but again nothing clear.

1. Can I actually hot-swap batteries without powering down my P2 V+ ?
2. Are there clear instructions to the correct way to do this?

Thanks
2015-1-5
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

Hi,

yeah, do NOT take out the powered up battery, or even worse insert a battery switched on. You might damage your Phantom. You can't "Hot swap" it anyway, the second you take the battery out, the Phantom is down and needs to boot up again.
2015-1-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

if nothing happend then i wouldnt be concernd you destroyed something, just learn from this and remember for the future not to do it and dont forget to switch the phantom off before you remove the batterie
2015-1-5
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

pabbamonto,
Number 1 in the battery usage notes on page 10 of the latest manual.
(1) When the battery is turned on, do not connect or disconnect, it from the phantom.
2015-1-5
Use props
pabbamonto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Thanks for your replies.  As I mentioned this is confusing because of this link below.  Per DJI website - "DJI claims the Phantom 2 Vision can fly for up to 25 minutes, and it utilizes a hot-swappable 5,200 mAh Lipo battery to achieve this. "

Can someone explain what this means?  Link is DJI:  http://quadcopterhq.com/dji-phantom-2-vision-released/

Thanks again  
2015-1-5
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

If you have taken videos or photos, you need to power down the Phantom correctly to have a good usable video file.
2015-1-5
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I believe the operative word here is "carelessly"  -- consider yourself fortunate that you didn't damage anything.

As far as the article, you'd have to ask the person from quadcopterhq.com who wrote the article.  That's not on the DJI website.  And it's from back in 2013 anyway.

Unless you modify the Phantom some way to stay powered on during the battery exchange I don't know how you could safely hot-swap the batteries (now watch some yahoo out there take that as a challenge and figure out a way).  As soon as you take the battery out it will shut off and when you put the second battery in it will have to go through the start up sequence again.

2015-1-5
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

i think they are misusing the term hot swap.  i believe they mean that the batteries are easily swapped out (quickly) but not 'while running'.
2015-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules