Interesting Observation on P3 Batteries
1293 11 2016-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

There have been a rash of Phantoms falling out of the sky lately.  Many  caused by the battery voltage becoming critically low, especially when  using a partially charged battery.  This video explores the phenomenon.   This test is done with the 1.6 firmware.

2016-2-13
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Very, very informative. Thanks for posting!
2016-2-13
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.uav's original post is here -> http://forum.dji.com/thread-39910-1-1.html
and well worth reposting for everyone. Great video!
2016-2-13
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

During the first week of owning my Phantom I would make a few changes in the settings with the Phantom turned on indoors and a fully charged battery. By the time I had finished with the settings I would have about 97% charge left and then LATER go out and fly. However, since then I have read and heard a lot about these battery's and I don't do this anymore. I do the settings immediately before, during, or after I have finished flying. I would never start flying with the battery anything less than 100%! And once I start flying I do not switch the Phantom off until I have finished!
2016-2-13
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Good Job,
All makes sense
2016-2-13
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

I start flights on 97% often.  I think it's mainly of not going full throttle with the battery cold.  I'd rather fly easy at 97% battery than full throttle at 100%.

2016-2-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is a nice piece of work by Hummingbird.uav on the battery issue, but unfortunately does not address the issue where the aircraft just suddenly shuts down in flight and drops to the ground. This is still largely unresolved.
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Absolutely correct! Very informative video!
2016-2-14
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Nice Video.
So why don't Dji make a battery warm for the P3 range.They make them for the Inspire..
Im not saying that this will stop P3s from falling out the sky, but it may go some way to help us all.
Im in the UK, so not cold weather environment as such, i bet my batteries would be below 20C when i first start flying.
2016-2-14
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

It would be interesting to see if there was in an increase in issues last winter with the P2 and did the percentage of falling out of the sky issues decrease percentage wise as the seasons moved into warmer weather.  
2016-2-14
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-14 04:39
I start flights on 97% often.  I think it's mainly of not going full throttle with the battery cold. ...

But would you start with 97% hours later? These batteries are so temperamental that I won't take a chance! I always make sure the battery is 100% and warm it before leaving the house. Also, I always let the Phantom hover for a minute or so before doing anything else. (I read that tip somewhere). I'm sure it all helps...?
2016-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules