Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost my Phantom 2 Vision + to a Flyaway!
12Next >
10064 71 2015-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eapepin
lvl.1
United States

Wonderful news.  $1400 worth of P2V+ just up and flew away from me.  I've flown it (between the original P1 all the way to this model) about 700 times and never had a problem..... well, besides a propellor blade in the trees a time or two, but I've gotten pretty good with it.  I can follow people up stairs or down ski slopes or around race tracks, but this stymies me.  I'm set up in the middle of a parking lot facing a swamp and a beach and my mission was to fly the path of power lines, shooting straight down to show crews were trees needed to be trimmed out of the way.  Im using Ground Station and I calibrate the compass and I get all green.  I've got 6 satellites locked on and wifi is connected with no problem.  I plot the waypoints and press "GO".  The Phantom starts, accelerates and flies to its start position about 30 feet above my head.  Then, it takes off vertically to about 80 feet and just flies away is a straight line in the opposite direction of my plot.  I click off from Ground Station to regain manual control and the P2 just keeps going.  Nothing I do to the controls has any effect.  I shut down the controller, thinking the fail-safe will engage and P2 will fly back to home point and nothing happens.  My iPad tells me I've lost the connection, and by this time, I can't even see it anymore.  2 hours, and five miles of searching the beaches and swamps reveals nothing.  Obviously I'm not getting it back.  Unless it thinks the home point is 30 miles back to my house and I wake tomorrow to find it sitting in my front yard..... but I've got better odds of finding Kate Upton sitting there than I do the Phantom.  (and, if by chance, Kate is there when I wake up, then disregard all this because my drone-flying days are over).

My concern is this:  Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there some reason for it?  Is this a glitch DJI is aware of?  What are the odds  it will happen again?  Thnaks.........  Oh, and if anyone needs a hard case and a spare controller, and 2 extra batteries, I know where you can get one relatively cheap!

2015-1-5
Use props
bloah
lvl.2

Canada

well, if you calibrate it next to power lines it could of messed up with compass, and phantom got lost and flew away in opposite way. Still doesnt explain why you couldn't regain control.
2015-1-5
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear this. Do you think the powerlines had anything to do with it? Did you confirm the home point was where you were at? Where was your last home point? Did you record this? I do not think there is a known issue with any of the software.
2015-1-5
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Was it the latest V3 P2V+ ?
Did you use the stand alone Ground Station software or the Ground Station feature in the latest dji app?

Sorry to hear about the loss.
2015-1-5
Use props
kenargo
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about your loss but for future (assuming you get/find your Phantom)...

It almost sounds like your GS program was inversed; I don't think the compass comes into play much with a GS program other than calculating direction of travel and if the compass is off I'm not sure how the Phantom would react if it finds itself moving away from the next waypoint (hmm, am interesting question for the DJI folks).

You mentioned that you clicked off of ground station.  What do you mean by that and how did you click off ground station.  If this is the built-in app then moving off the GS screen does not stop the GS flight.  The only way I know of to stop a GS flight is to stop the GS (using the screen) or toggle S1.

Second, turning off the controller, if running a GS program does nothing since the GP program is expecting to lose control (see above about toggling S1).  It is far better to have NAZA enabled and use the S1 with a Failsafe setting than to ever turn off your controller.

Best luck with the Kate think ;)
2015-1-5
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Clearly you fly a lot, and experienced pilot, but What checks and maintenance do you do.? And how often.
2015-1-5
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer

Germany

power lines will mess up the compass but in Atti mode you should have the controls back.
2015-1-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-6 08:24
power lines will mess up the compass but in Atti mode you should have the controls back.

How close would you have to be to the power lines and how many KV line to mess up the compass?
2015-1-5
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer

Germany

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-6 08:26
How close would you have to be to the power lines and how many KV line to mess up the compass?

i dont know that at all, thats why i never fly close to them because im not an expert about power lines, some have more power then others. Theoretically in Atti mode it and deactivated IOC it wont matter that much but otherwise i would not bet on it because i hear stories of fly aways in atti mode as well
2015-1-5
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.4

United States

I've heard the gov't has flying cell phone "towers" for intercepting transmissions which, when flying overhead, could cause all sorts of problems for a R/C aircraft. I live in mid-Michigan and see all kinds of weird stuff whizzing around up there. Just food for thought. Anyone else wonder about this?
2015-1-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

A 750 kv line near Syracuse with no problem.
750 kv line in Syracuse.jpg
2015-1-5
Use props
chuecoist
lvl.1

Australia

HI, sorry about your loss. Its amazing how many people loose or crash their drones. I read somewhere that you shouldn't fly in parking lots or fly drones next to a lot of cars because of magnetic fields. The power lines thing is in the manual, maybe is a combination of both things.

sorry about your drone again, my sympathies

2015-1-5
Use props
austin
lvl.3

United States

Did you have the wifi connection password protected? This can be done, if not it is possible for some one to scout you out and steal your DR.

Pretty easy to do no need to do the push button thing on the bottom of the DR
2015-1-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

austin Posted at 2015-1-6 11:27
Did you have the wifi connection password protected? This can be done, if not it is possible for som ...

How would they bind their tx to your Phantom to take control of it?
2015-1-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
First Officer

China

Dear, really sorry about your loss.
The EMC interference may cause this fly away issue. The magnetic field generated by current could mess up the compass and IMU and etc then caused a lost control.
@Gerry1124 the current carried by powerline there might be more steady so that you can fly it normally but still need to be really careful.
Sorry again :-(
2015-1-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

The power wires carry 750 kv power to the substation up on the hill to be stepped down.  It comes from 3 generators.  The substation shows on the hill.
sunset in the North Country.jpg
2015-1-5
Use props
eapepin
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the kind words and sympathy (while you’re all trying really hard to stifle the chortles of laughter along with the better-you-than-me thoughts).

1.        When I said “Shut off Ground Station”  I cycled the S1 switch to regain manual control.  Problem is…..  it didn’t.

2.        While there may very well have been some drone terrorist hiding in the bush as I powered up and took control of my V+, I’d be really interested in how he got his remote control to bind with my Phantom.  Oh well.

3.        The parking lot I speak of is the size of 5 football fields and is the main parking lot for a closed-for-the-season campground bordering the ocean on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and the only vehicles on it at the time were mine and the park director’s pickup truck, and we were 200 yards away from those.

4.        The power lines are not the type pictured in Gerry1124’s photo.  Much smaller; much less voltage; single strand supplying power to a remote campsite.

5.        I’m using the GS program that’s part of the DJI Vision app from the iphone (although it works equally well with the iPad), not the standalone that requires the external 2.4G datalink and the BTU unit that must be attached to the board of the P2V+.  The interesting this is the GS app works natively with the P2, but needs all the accessories to work on the top-of-the-line Phantom.  Never could figure that out.

At any rate, it’s gone, and what happened to it will forever be a part of the unsolved mysteries of life…(think Loch Ness, Bigfoot, Area 51,  and how Ryan Reynolds was cast as The Green Lantern).
2015-1-6
Use props
gnixon
First Officer

United States

jeez, clearly a single power line providing current to a remote campsite should be nowhere near enough EM interference to cause a drone to 'fly away'.  if that were possible, i want my money back.  sorry to hear about your drone.
2015-1-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

My opinion only, but I think "ground station" is a joke and would never trust my quad to it. I've flown it a couple times and had the sense that things were out of my control (and, of course, they were).

DJI crammed all this stuff into the Vision+ more as sales points and demo's of the technology than as useful (especially commercially useful) features.

There are starting to be some quads actually designed for aerial inspection - but, of course, they are a good bit more expensive.

Sorry you lost your machine!
I'm going to fly under MY control as well as LOS with my Phantom(s)....

700 flights?  How many with this model? Time can be the enemy of aircraft.....
2015-1-6
Use props
bjr981s
First Officer
Flight distance : 117290 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Im only new to the P2V+ but I have read a lot. Did lots of research before I bought the unit including watching lots of Videos and downloaded and reading the users manual.

Maybe I can offer some reasoning for the flyaway.

When you select Ground Control it updates the Return to Home coordinates in the model from the GPS in your smartphone.

So even if you have 6+ satellites on the model and a good GPS fix. This is not whats used to set the home position. If your phone was having issues it could have set a home point miles away.

I now insure that I close all apps on my iPhone before I set up to fly. (I have had many phone issues when too many apps were open and no memory left in the phone.)

Cheers

2015-1-6
Use props
Graybee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32595 ft
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 2015-1-6 23:44
Im only new to the P2V+ but I have read a lot. Did lots of research before I bought the unit includi ...

Guess what my new Phantom 2 Vision+ done the same - was all going good - was in a hoover at about 20 meters away - when iPhone says 'lost connection' and phantom starts to drift away -  no response with RC input - just kept on going away from us - open countryside so no interference from anything - eventually turned off RC to force go home mode but nothing - flew out of sight and was gone - three days searching and nothing - no GPS locator either as all comms lost !!

Spent awhile now communicating with DJI - lots of email exchanges and even a 'flyaway' form as of course no drone to prove a fault - yesterday they agreed to give me a discount off a new drone - so still out of pocket by a considerable sum - not best please but little else can do

Going to ensure in future theirs a Reward if found / Returned sticker on it etc - tempted to even think about an independent GPS locator on it?

Good luck in getting it sorted if you get a flyaway as it does happen !!
2015-1-6
Use props
rhayhurst
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904442 ft
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2015-1-6 23:44
Im only new to the P2V+ but I have read a lot. Did lots of research before I bought the unit includi ...

bjr918:  My iPhone is often quite off the mark, at least 1/2 mile when initially using Google Maps to pinpoint my location.  Can you cite where you learned that Groundstation uses the phones 'location' as the new default home position?  I've never heard that before now. - Thanks!
2015-1-6
Use props
bjr981s
First Officer
Flight distance : 117290 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you look in the supported mobile devices for the aircraft you will see iPod and touch 5 available but not recommended.

With Software Version 3.8 it introduced Dynamic Home Point. If you read up on Dynamic Home Point documentation you will see this repeated and mobile device with cell coverage and GPS required.

The documentation does say that Ground station is supported on an iPod, but I did see a video that recommended a GPS mobile device for Dynamic Home Point and Ground Station. I have viewed hundereds and can't find it again.
I guess that there is some contention with Ground Station as to which GPS location it uses if a GPS function is available on the Phone as its reference point.

The GPS locations for the way points are sent from the phone via the WiFi link to the Aircraft. If 2 sources are now available with Version 3.8 which one does it use by default to send coordinate data to the aircraft?

I'm not sure, only the DJI software developers could confirm.

Lastly if you own an iDevice it states that location accuracy is improved if WiFi is enabled. I assume some type of internet conectivity tests. But as an iDevice is WiFi connected to the aircraft without a default route to the internet, I am not sure how this effects location accuracy of the device.

Sorry for your aircraft loss.

Cheers

2015-1-6
Use props
eapepin
lvl.1
United States

Well, thanks for all the kind words.  You should see the "Kind Words" I'm receiving from DJI.  Oh, they were so sympathetic and oh, so helpful while listening to my tale and asked for serial numbers and dates of purchase and on and on, and I'm starting to think.... Hey, maybe they will help me here.  Maybe they see a problem and maybe (God forbid) they may actually do something.  Like replace it?

Yeah..........No.  They shut that down real quick and when I asked that maybe they could give me a discount off the replacement Phantom I will buy, the response went something like this......(well, it went exactly like this):  The spelling and punctuation is theirs.. not mine.

Date: January 7, 2015 at 9:11:25 PM EST
To: Ed ********comcast.net>
Subject: Re: My Phanton 2 Vision + just up and flew away.........

Dear Ed,
Thank you for your interest on DJI.

We only have discount(more like free batter or else) at some holiday(like Xmas before), you can keep on follow our web, or you can get some promotion from your local dealer as well.

Literal translation from DJI:  Dear Ed: F**k You.  Have a nice day
2015-1-7
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

Yesterday, I took my new Phantom vision 2 plus out to an open site near a River to map a water quality station.  It just took off!  I did find it (1.6 miles away).  I don't know if it can be fixed.  I went through all calibration etc.  As soon as it took off it just left in the opposite direction!  Home nor fail safe worked.  When I put in fail safe I got a very loud and I mean loud noise like a back up noise on construction equipment.  The controller said coming home and it went the opposite direction.

I've been flying other people Phantoms's as I never had the money to buy my own.  I finally got my own.  I've had one other fly away and I thought I must of not taken it through calibration correctly.  One the other fly away, I toggled the s1 switch between GPS and ATTI and this allowed me to get control.  I got control and then landed safely and took it home and went through all procedures and videos (again) AND I've doing everything directed.  Several other flights were fine.

HOWEVER, I've have had problems with the range extender staying on or linked to the phantom.  The range extender is on and the light seems to go on and off.  Does anyone know if this flyaway could be a warranty issue.  I don't know if it can be fixed (yet).  Any help appreciated.
2015-1-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

lcarpenter@7q10 Posted at 2015-1-9 00:06
Yesterday, I took my new Phantom vision 2 plus out to an open site near a River to map a water quali ...

The range extender only has connection to the camera and the system light will flash green very quickly when it is working properly.  When the range extender is not working, on your screen you will see a message, phantom connection broken and you will lose control to your camera. You will not lose control of your control of your sticks for flying the Phantom.  Control for flying the Phantom comes from your transmitter antenna.
When you said you did all the calibrations, did you calibrate the compass at the takeoff point?  (the compass dance)  360 degree circle until the lights on the phantom turn solid green then do another 360 degree circle with the camera pointed to the ground until the green lights started flashing?
2015-1-8
Use props
austin
lvl.3

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-6 11:31
How would they bind their tx to your Phantom to take control of it?

Through the IP address being broadcasted. It is possible to connect to the DR via IP address and access the linux OS onboard.
2015-1-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

austin Posted at 2015-1-9 07:43
Through the IP address being broadcasted. It is possible to connect to the DR via IP address and a ...

Very vaguely possible.  I don't think there is anyone out there that would really want to steal a quadcopter.
2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-9 00:26
The range extender only has connection to the camera and the system light will flash green very qu ...

Yes, I did the full 360 for both nose forward and nose down.  I went through the entire preflight check list and preflight calibration.  All the appropriate light color were present.  Could it be my iphone or an APP problem?  I know you said that the antenna may be the issue...
2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

Not understanding if Kate is sitting on your doorstep, (which I think you must of invited her in) what did you decide about the DJI brand?  Would you buy DJI again?  I'll let you know if I can get mine fixed....it does seem straight forward as mine isn't too bad as it was just flat desert low scrub vegetation and silt soil...

I'm freaked as I need something for work soon that is reliable. Please keep in touch and let the community know what happens.
2015-1-8
Use props
eapepin
lvl.1
United States

lcarpenter@7q10 Posted at 2015-1-9 14:38
Not understanding if Kate is sitting on your doorstep, (which I think you must of invited her in) wh ...

Oh, I still like the brand.  It's probably the best unit on the market for the money.  I'm looking at pre-ordering the new Inspire I model they are introducing, but the $3000.00 price tag is a big bite to take.  I probably should have taken the very simple precaution of placing a sticker on the unit with my cell phone number in case it was ever found, and I have to assume, at some point, someone will happen upon it.

BTW, trust me on this, if Kate were here, I wouldn't be anywhere near this forum.
2015-1-9
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

austin Posted at 2015-1-9 07:43
Through the IP address being broadcasted. It is possible to connect to the DR via IP address and a ...

Mission impossible
2015-1-9
Use props
lcarpenter.emai
lvl.1

United States

eapepin@comcast Posted at 2015-1-9 21:26
Oh, I still like the brand.  It's probably the best unit on the market for the money.  I'm looking ...

Glad your priorities straight...(Kate and all)

My final word on the subject...I guess DJI must be an okay product ....before I could even get mine to an authorized dealer for repairs (drum roll) it was STOLEN out of my car!  ... case and all!  My done hates me....maybe the fly always are more of a personality issue?  So those of you in LA area look on Craig's list for a new Phantom Vision Plus minor crash damage in a beautiful case...
2015-1-24
Use props
tonycorsoimages
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm a new member of the 'heartbreak hotel' club.  
Lost my unit yesterday.  Was doing some footage at a local golf course...first hole went fine.  Second hole...it just up and left.  I locked in my GPS before launching, as I always do.  When I saw it drifting away, I cut off my transmitter to activate fail safe mode.  It never returned.

Devastated here.  I hesitate to replace it in fear of going through this again.
2015-2-8
Use props
SuperSport
lvl.1

United States

birdfolk@dishma Posted at 2015-1-6 08:33
I've heard the gov't has flying cell phone "towers" for intercepting transmissions which, when flyin ...

WHAT?  They don't do that here in the USA, do they???  
2015-2-8
Use props
SuperSport
lvl.1

United States

eapepin@comcast Posted at 2015-1-8 11:19
Literal translation from DJI:  Dear Ed: F**k You.  Have a nice day

Hahaha!  Love the Translation...  I've been buying from Chinese companies for a few years now, and it can be interesting trying to translate what they are trying to convey to me.  Sometimes, I believe they are saying exactly what your translation says.
2015-2-8
Use props
esetzer
lvl.1

United States

Hi,  Sorry about your lost P2V.  I also temporarily lost mine.  My fly away might have been influenced by power lines (several hundred yards away and not intending to fly closer), although I thought I was far enough away.  I am reasonably experienced and sure the P2V was otherwise properly prepared.  I found my P2V by plotting a straight line from the take off point to the last location recorded by find my Phantom (that location may still be recoreded in your app).  My assumption was that since the P2V was not responding to my inputs, it may have continued along a straight line.  Further, the P2V did not have a great deal of altitude and the terrain in the presumed direction of flight was rising.  So I hoped it crashed into the rising terrain along that straight line.  I found it not more than 20 feet off the plotted line.  It is now repaired and flying normally.  Ed
2015-2-8
Use props
andrew.packetlo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

My phantom attempted to a loop de loop and make a run for it, amateur quads are going to get banned eventually in various countries if this stuff keeps on happening. Come on DJI sort it out.

2015-2-9
Use props
jasonisdn
lvl.1

United States

tonycorsoimages Posted at 2015-2-8 22:21
I'm a new member of the 'heartbreak hotel' club.  
Lost my unit yesterday.  Was doing some footage a ...

Was yours also a vision plus?
2015-2-9
Use props
kirk2579.aol
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

I have been reading through many of the fly away posts.
While not scientific in any way I did notice a large number of the users indicated using I products(apple) vs android. While most users use android in general vs apple.

Can a poll be setup to find out if any connection?
2015-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules