Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just lost my brand new P3P
123456Next >
10778 218 2016-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meirzri
New

Israel

After just few days of fun...
Took some great footage... was on it's way back to me... 600m away and 80m high...
Instantly, lost signal and cam, without any visible reason - never to regain signal or seen again,
Return To Home DIDN'T WORK (failsafe anyone?)
just came back home after HOURS of searching....

expected more... much more... from a "state of the art" drone...
SO DISAPPOINTED

DJI GO Flight Record

DJI GO Flight Record

2016-2-16
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.4

United States

I am sooooooo sorry to hear.  Hopefully you can upload your flight logs to DJI support and then can see what happened at the time you lost connection with your craft and offer some solution.
2016-2-16
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Oh no!  very sad news.
Only thing i could suggest is to start from the last know location and walk straight to the starting point where you launched.
Maybe it did try a RTH and landed along the way somewhere.
2016-2-16
Use props
meirzri
New

Israel

Tnx guys,
I walked those 600m 5 times... back, forth and sideways - with the help of a friend... didn't find anything...
How do I find and upload my logs?
2016-2-16
Use props
ricknorris
New
Flight distance : 5807 ft
United States

Heartbreaking. I have only been a owner for a few days. Can they locate you using the FAA registration number on your drone?
2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

ricknorris Posted at 2016-2-17 06:11
Heartbreaking. I have only been a owner for a few days. Can they locate you using the FAA registrati ...

I think hes in Israel
2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

ricknorris Posted at 2016-2-17 06:11
Heartbreaking. I have only been a owner for a few days. Can they locate you using the FAA registrati ...

2016-2-16
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
United States

meirzri Posted at 2016-2-16 17:05
Tnx guys,
I walked those 600m 5 times... back, forth and sideways - with the help of a friend... did ...

https://healthydrones.com/
Only directions I susect it might have went without the logs are.
054206x0i5qqig7mxqghrx.png
2016-2-16
Use props
meirzri
New

Israel

Tnx All,
look at these logs...
What do you think guys?

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MjM0Nw
2016-2-16
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

I asume there might be a problem with return to home height. Standart is set to 30m. At this height there is a very high possibility to hit something on a straight way home.
2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

GPS reception wasn't great according to HDLost signal....I's going to guess you may have encountered some kind of radio frequency interference.  Are there any tall antenna towers nearby?
Without GPS, it can't RTH...may have hovered over that pond until the battery went low...then descended?

Just a guess

2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

meirzri Posted at 2016-2-16 22:30
Tnx All,
look at these logs...
What do you think guys?

What was your RTH altitude set at?
The last height recorded was 80m, so unless it was more than 80m it may have activated RTH & crashed into one of the high rise apartment blocks between the P3 & the home point.  The apartment blocks would possibly have cut the signal to cause RTH.

There is a possibility that if the apartment blocks are less than 80m tall (20 floors & 3 metres each plus a bit on top) the barometer was reading higher than it actually was.
2016-2-16
Use props
schlief
New
Flight distance : 7300 ft
United States

Same thing happened to me. I looked at my flight profile saw where the last place the drone was on the app. I then brought up Google maps on my iPhone and followed the blue dot (my location) as I walked until I was over the red arrow on the app. I looked around and found it within feet
2016-2-16
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

I notice the general tab says that the landing battery power was 75%.  Does this mean that It landed somewhere perhaps? I can not imagine another meaning for this statistic for the flight.
2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2016-2-16 22:52
I notice the general tab says that the landing battery power was 75%.  Does this mean that It landed ...

Without a signal, I expect it's just a final reading from the battery.  If it recorded a landing, it would show it.
2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-17 06:42
What was your RTH altitude set at?
The last height recorded was 80m, so unless it was more than 80m ...

Good point.   I'd like to know his RTH height setting as well
2016-2-16
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

meirzri Posted at 2016-2-17 06:30
Tnx All,
look at these logs...
What do you think guys?

Sorry to hear you lost your P3.

Although I know your craft was 80m high, did you have straight line of sight.? What I mean by that is if a building or other object blocked los then that would explain sudden loss of video and control. That same object/building/hill/giraffe  would subsequently be in the way when the P3 tried to return home.  Remember altitude is relative to home set point and not actual altitude of the craft above the ground it's flying. So if you launched at sea level then a 15m building would effectively be 35m high if the ground level it was built on was 20m above sea level.
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss, your date can be read from the RC and read by DJI techs to see what happened.
Couple of things, what was your RTH height set at AND you had it in RTH and not land if signal was lost correct?
I cannot tell from the screenshot, but if you had the stock RTH height and had it set to RTh then if anything was in the path that's higher than 20m then your aircraft crashed into that structure.

Email customer support and they will analyze the data. Make the last flight a favorite in your flight records, then sync the records and give support your account info and they can look at the flight record.
http://www.dji.com/support
2016-2-16
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.4

New Zealand

If something catastrophic failed, it's probably in the bottom of that pond. Looking at the signal score, it looks like you had very poor signal (probably from flying in a very built up area), but you still decided to keep flying further away from yourself. It also looks like it was fairly windy

Couple possible scenarios:

Catastrophic failure and it fell into the pond
Lost signal with your remote (quite likely judging by the poor signal score for that flight), then attempted to RTH, which failed due to several possibilities such as it being to windy (used to much power getting home and landed somewhere on the way), hitting an object on the way back, or possibly losing GPS signal and not being able to make it's way. The last being the least likely as it had good (but not great) GPS signal the whole way.
2016-2-16
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

meirzri Posted at 2016-2-17 09:30
Tnx All,
look at these logs...
What do you think guys?

It looks like you flew in from the northwest until you got to a position where your signal was blocked by one of those tall buildings.
As the Phantom entered the "shadow" of the building you lost the downlink - signal from the Phantom to your controller, presumably the Phantom lost signal shortly after which would have triggered RTH after 3 seconds.
The Phantom would have come home on a direct route at the height it was at the time.

Did you lower the height any more after losing signal?
The ground level at the tall building is about 10 ft higher than your launch point.
They look pretty tall.  http://israelhome.ru/thumbs/medi ... 1224_27.600x600.jpg
How high is the building?

2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-17 07:08
Sorry for your loss, your date can be read from the RC and read by DJI techs to see what happened.
C ...

If the Aircraft and Controller cannot communicate, such as if a tall building is in between the two,  would there still be data from the aircraft on the RC ?
2016-2-16
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-16 15:54
Without a signal, I expect it's just a final reading from the battery.  If it recorded a landing,  ...

oh that makes sense!
2016-2-16
Use props
chrisp8756
lvl.1

United States

I also am sorry to hear about your drone. This is the reason I've insured my drones in case something like this happens I'm not out the money I've invested into the drone. Granted it only covers the drone BUT in a case like this $50 deductible versus  waiting for a maybe, I will take the insurance
2016-2-16
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.4

United States

Log had 1 warning, that you were in a high interference area or building was blocking signal, may be in that lake or hit building. says drone was 2025 feet from home point when it failed.
2016-2-16
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-17 10:38
If the Aircraft and Controller cannot communicate, such as if a tall building is in between the two, ...

"If the Aircraft and Controller cannot communicate, such as if a tall building is in between the two,  would there still be data from the aircraft on the RC ?"

There is data right up to the point where signal was last received - at 5:14.
After that it's only going to be on the Phantom.

According to HealthyDrones the wiind was favourable for RTH
Further picture searching suggests that the tallest buildings are about 40 stories - more than enough to block any RTH.
The Phantom probably hit the second building from the left in this pic about 200 feet up.
http://www.gettyimages.com.au/de ... o-footage/133297163
2016-2-16
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-17 07:57
"If the Aircraft and Controller cannot communicate, such as if a tall building is in between the t ...

Exactly.   Sometimes there is no data on the RC to read
2016-2-16
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-16
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
United States

You might have hit a building. Might be sitting on someones deck.
2016-2-16
Use props
Fieldstone
lvl.1

United States

chrisp8756 Posted at 2016-2-16 18:45
I also am sorry to hear about your drone. This is the reason I've insured my drones in case somethin ...

Where did you buy insurance that will cover a flyaway?
2016-2-16
Use props
Fieldstone
lvl.1

United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2016-2-16 19:15
I wouldn't have piloted the bird that far after only a few days of experience. When will people lear ...

I agree.                  
2016-2-16
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.4

United States

chrisp8756 Posted at 2016-2-16 18:45
I also am sorry to hear about your drone. This is the reason I've insured my drones in case somethin ...

I too am curious as my insurance company is only doing commercial insurance.
2016-2-16
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

As I read this thread I swear It is a clone story of another relatively new users lost phantom.

A few months back a guy in Miami was flying from a marina and went around a couple tall condo's even the layout of takeoff spot and building location  was similar

Lost RC control, tried RTH ,   all exactly the same as this OP

it was concluded it rth'ed into the building on the way to home point. Just like this one will.

operator lack of knowledge, sorry for your loss

This is NOT a FLYAWAY!  PERIOD

2016-2-16
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

sorry for your loss,

don't be disappointed in the "state of the art drone"

you will find in the end it did as designed to do .

if you get another with your insurance  
good luck and have fun flying!
2016-2-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

After some close examination of GoogleEarth, it does seem to be a pretty good mystery.  In order to lose RC signal, something would have to block the signal.  In order to lose GPS/GLONASS, you would need to lose both system's satellite signals.  Severe microwave interference, or antenna blockage on the drone might cause that.

It's interestingthat the wind was a constant 29MPH, according to HealthyDrones.  That's high wind and there was considerable load on the battery for all of the outbound trip.  When the turn was made over the beach to head back HOME, the return speed could have been quite high because of the tail wind.

Looking at GoogleEarth street view, I see those tall shadows are from some new buildings that are very near 200 feet or more.  There is also possibility of construction cranes in the area if there is more construction, but you would know more about that than I, since you are there.

Because of the way RTH works, IF it had gone to RTH mode, it should have flown straight back to the home point AT THE ALTITUDE IT WAS AT (262 feet), because that is higher than the RTH altitude you set (80m=212 feet).  If that apartment building is higher than 262 feet, it could have crashed right into it.  The building would likely have blocked the signal from the RC.  Why it went off toward the lake I cannot hazard a guess.  Things seem to point at loss of GPS/GLONASS or compass.

All ground elevations are around 30 feet or less, on GoogleEarth, so a tall building, tower, etc. are the only things that are going to block the signal.
2016-2-16
Use props
Username Here
lvl.4
United States

I'm like others in here, just wondering what the RTH height was set at.
2016-2-16
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-17 10:57
"If the Aircraft and Controller cannot communicate, such as if a tall building is in between the t ...

Manually plotted approx route you took, overlayed on to a snapshot video that labroides posted:

Yellow Line: Path while still in control - Comms OK
Red Circle: Looks like you flew behind some very high buildings and lost Comms (RC & Video)
Light Blue Line: Craft probably tried to auto-RTH (dependent on RTH Settings) and hit the buildings, fell to the ground or got stuck up on a building. i.e. in a balcony, rooftop, etc..

Whilst this explanation may seem overly simple* and is based on some assumptions, i.e. RTH settings etc..,  it illustrates key points:  The reason why you have lost comms (gone behind high buildings, effectively blocking LOS & RC/Video link) & the fact that your quad may have tried to RTH and crashed into a building then got stuck up on a building, is possibly why you havent found it on the ground whilst walking around looking for it.
* Obvously addational data/facts are required to establish what actually happned.

Route.jpg
2016-2-16
Use props
arock387
lvl.3

United States

Not very good at the investigative stuff but.  Sorry for your loss
2016-2-16
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-17 13:22
After some close examination of GoogleEarth, it does seem to be a pretty good mystery.  In order to  ...

Is it possible to overlay the path on a Google earth map and then look at it in 3d and/or zoom in.

If thats possible, then if the RTH settings/hight is known and assuming the quad followed RTH protocol set, it may be possible to tell exactly which building and where on it could have crashed. Obviously assuming it tried a straight RTH 3 secs after loosing link.
2016-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-2-17 15:03
Is it possible to overlay the path on a Google earth map and then look at it in 3d and/or zoom in.

I think it is pretty well established that if it did not get home, then given the battery level it had, it must have hit the building. And that would be the second one from the end.
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-17 07:38
DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-17 07:08
Sorry for your loss, your date can be read from the RC and read by ...

Yes, the RC still holds lots of data and when you sync that flight to the cloud and provide your account number they can analyze the flight record and see what happened.
2016-2-16
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules