Just lost my brand new P3P
10858 218 2016-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrgnu
lvl.2

United States

CFM01 Posted at 2016-2-18 05:10
Where would one mount a Trackimo on a phantom?

you can buy a Gimbal guard that connects the landing gear together.  some people use tie wraps/ zip ties or velcro that is included with the Trackimo
2016-2-22
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-19 12:56
If you lose GPS because of buildings then it will go into ATTI mode and. The GPS is going to get g ...

See Gary's post #198.
Very possible to have " bad" GPS data through reflections.
We must realize this if flying near buildings, etc.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

jack1144 Posted at 2016-2-23 05:53
See Gary's post #198.
Very possible to have " bad" GPS data through reflections.
We must realize t ...

True, advice is don't fly next to tall buildings
2016-2-22
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-21 08:18
I know the app is feature packed and it's just like anything, you need to play with it for a while ...

Actually, you're missing my point completely.  Creating a good workflow through a complex application is one of the most important jobs a designer has.  In the Go app, you have to go to three menus to check the RTH height - something you should do EVERY flight.  

You should also check the compass calibration value to make sure it is accurate.

You really should be able to go down a single menu and hit all of the things you need to understand to START a safe flight.  Right now, it's all over the map, so to speak.  It's clear that the program was designed bit by bit and not really through through well.
2016-2-26
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

Actually, I find the DJI Go App quite intuitive. I can get to failsafe RTH setting with a few taps.
The categories are divided properly, and the menus/submenus allow users to dig deeper for more info or setting.
But as most with most apps, there are rooms for improvement.
2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WetDog Posted at 2016-2-27 11:53
Actually, you're missing my point completely.  Creating a good workflow through a complex applicat ...

I understand what you are saying. As time goes on I think changes will be made.
As far as the compass calibration, upon startup it goes to the status page and will notify you if the aircraft needs a compass calibration, so that one is taken care of.
2016-2-26
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WetDog Posted at 2016-2-27 03:53
Actually, you're missing my point completely.  Creating a good workflow through a complex applicat ...

Fully agree. There are key tasks you should carry out frequently if not every time you fly.  RTH Altitude is one of them, unless you leave it very high.  Things like compass calibration, RTH altitude and mode (hover / land / RTH), max distance and max altitude should all be on a pop up screen that first appears when you start the app. This is simple, good design.

DJI-Ken, it's perfectly true to say that most RTH crashes are user error, but the cause is more user lack of knowledge.  There is a large amount of things to consider and remember when you start flying. Good app design should guide users into making the right settings before each flight, without being  buried down in multiple sub menus.

Finally, the 'top 10 causes of crashes' could be made clear in the introduction videos to highllight these issues.  You can't always save people from their own actions, but you can at least try and educate them on the most common issues beforehand.

Cheers,
Ian

2016-2-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-2-27 17:36
Fully agree. There are key tasks you should carry out frequently if not every time you fly.  RTH A ...

This is an excellent thread users should bookmark. scroll down some and one of them is "top 10 common pilot errors.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-35181-1-1.html
2016-2-27
Use props
Rich in Boise
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

chrgnu Posted at 2016-2-22 23:36
you can buy a Gimbal guard that connects the landing gear together.  some people use tie wraps/ zi ...

There is tracker holder that screws on with the leg screws.  It is available from trackimo.  Check out their web site.  Just put one on my unit.  A few hints.  If you don't have the frequency of updates from the trackimo set to a short period of time when you are flying, and the aircraft with trackimo onboard goes into the drink, you may not have tracking information for the final position.  Also, the unit will not update its location if under water.
2016-2-27
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-27 15:48
This is an excellent thread users should bookmark. scroll down some and one of them is "top 10 com ...

That's the thread I'm referring to Ken. It's great and I found it very useful. But not all users read through the forums, so the points raised would be even better to be part of the manual or at least clearly laid out in the introductory notes and videos.

Can you also feedback our thoughts on centralising the key settings on the Go App?  
Cheers
Ian
2016-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The menus are FAR from intuitive!  I agree about a consolidated place for preflight checklist.  I think it would work great.  ONE tap could bring up a list of directly accessed menu items to check before takeoff.  Two taps from flight mode should be all that is required.  I waste lots of flying time looking for something I want to check that is buried in "some" menu somewhere.  Tap the access icon, then tap the item you need.  It would make it SO much easier to access things when you are in the field and not necessarily thinking of HOW to run the software and how to fly the mission.
2016-2-27
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-28 05:03
The menus are FAR from intuitive!  I agree about a consolidated place for preflight checklist.  I th ...

Precisely,
However DJI seem hell bent on not using a continuous improvement process with respect to some things and continually fall back on the RTFM and "the information is available (somewhere) so it must be user-error"  arguments. It would be better to do a proper root cause analysis (even use the 5 why's as I and others have suggested) and then work towards reducing the opportunity for user-error.
2016-2-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-2-28 03:19
That's the thread I'm referring to Ken. It's great and I found it very useful. But not all users r ...

Like I said, I think as time goes on more and more new to drone users are going to be flying and app updates may get easier to navigate.And I will send feedback to corporate.
2016-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-28 08:03
The menus are FAR from intuitive!  I agree about a consolidated place for preflight checklist.  I th ...

DJI is on a hiding to nowhere with this. If you were a software programmer you would understand the difficulty. Everything on the interface has to be available by finger touch, yet at the same time, it should not intrude on the display space. It must also be accessible by people with huge fat fingers working in a tiny space sometimes on 4" x 3" on a phone. I agree it is not all that intuitive, but it is not easy to get right.
2016-2-27
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-2-16 21:14
Manually plotted approx route you took, overlayed on to a snapshot video that labroides posted:

Ye ...

WOW !!! amazing investigation    i think that he hit a building !
2016-2-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it truly was in Israel one can only imagine the top secret "blast any small missile" out of the sky radars and radio waves which could be around.

That said - fly in open areas and where you can see and control the bird - especially for the first year or so!
2016-2-27
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-28 08:20
DJI is on a hiding to nowhere with this. If you were a software programmer you would understand th ...

I don't think it's as hard as all that, just add screen that initiatives on start-up that has calls to all the essential items. Leave everything else alone.

Even so I don't think "it's hard so we shouldn't do it" has ever been successfully implemented in a company that has remained on the forefront of a technology wave.
2016-2-27
Use props
dehner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 549931 ft
Philippines

Bro did you go back to the home point?   You just have to be patient and don't  panic.   Did you have your info left on the quad??
2016-2-27
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-2-17 11:06
I'm like others in here, just wondering what the RTH height was set at.

Most likely the "default" height setting. Most new owners wont remember to reset the go home height in there first few flights. Expecially if they travel to a new location where they normally dont fly.
2016-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules