1245 12 2016-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dwoody0805
lvl.2
Flight distance : 775965 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I'm wanting to download the Litche app but I'm not sure what I should do. Do i download the android app on my tablet that I will be flying my drone with or do i download it on my iphone6+ which I have on me all thetime. Also if I download it on the android can I still do all my preflight setup on my Macbook? Thank you for your help in advance!
2016-2-17
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

Download/Purchase Litchi on whatever device you will attach to the P3 controller, so in your case the Android tablet.

There is a site http://flylitchi.com/hub that you can use to design missions in any web browser.  90% of the options are there and it's smoother than using a smaller touchscreen.  Double-check the mission properties on your tablet, (especially the waypoint heights!) before flying.

2016-2-17
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-17 16:03
Download/Purchase Litchi on whatever device you will attach to the P3 controller, so in your case th ...

Nice link, thank you
2016-2-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

If you are going to have 2 devices,  I assume one will be dedicated to the P3?  That is the best way,  because the apps all work best when not doing double duty.  I have an S5 galaxy and an Nvidia Shield tablet.  I use the S5 with the Google Goggles and the tablet with a hood otherwise.  No sim card in either one,  and no problems with lag or anything else.
2016-2-17
Use props
dwoody0805
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks guys. I'm not very smart when it comes to computer programs. Is the litchi app pretty self explanatory?
2016-2-17
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

If you can fly your P3 competently with the DJI GO app, you should have no problems with Litchi.
2016-2-17
Use props
dwoody0805
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-17 21:38
If you can fly your P3 competently with the DJI GO app, you should have no problems with Litchi.

My biggest thing is hoping I can figure out how to set altitude while coursing in my waypoints. I've been asked to do a golf course this weekend so I want it smooth and proffessional looking
2016-2-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Should be no trouble.  Litchi lets you set height,  speed and heading for each waypoint,  as well as how much curve you want between points.  I recommend you try the first flight pretty high up to make sure your course track is good.  Then adjust each waypoint to what you need,  making sure to clear any obstacles.  The tilt of the camera will be whatever it is when you start the flight unless you manually change it during flight.  Set the gimbal for a very slow response to get a smooth tilt  If there is a tree in the way,  put in extra waypoints to go around it.  Set your speed low enough to give yourself time to react if something goes awry.  The P3 is good,  but it wont think for itself.  Careful planning is key.  Trust me,  I know from hard experience.
2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Glad I am not the only Litchi newbie.
2016-2-18
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

How to set altitude at all, or how high to set the altitude?  

The altitude it is the first parameter when you tap on a waypoint in the Litchi app or at http://flylitchi.com/hub     

How high to set waypoints?  I use Google Earth Pro (Pro version is free now.)  Move your mouse pointer around your mission area and watch the altitude reading in the lower right of Google Earth.  I like to start my flights from a large clearing that is higher than the surrounding area if possible.  

Google Earth Pro has a measure tool that can measure a line or path, and show you an elevation profile along that path.  That is an easy way to see the highest points on your flight path.    Remember that for the Phantom, altitude is 0 at takeoff point, and everything else will be referenced from that 0-altitude point.  For example, assuming no objects in the way, if you are taking off at 300' and the highest terrain you are flying over is 375', then the difference is 75' and that is a starting point for waypoint height.  Of course you DON'T want to fly at exactly 75' in that example, that is cutting it way too close, I would add 50' or even 100' the first time flying a mission, thus making the waypoint 175' or so (terrain height above takeoff point, plus 100' margin of error.)  Way better flying too high than too low!

You also have to account for objects.  Trees can be 100' or more, power lines can be 75-100'.  Towers can easily be 100' to 300'.  Either avoid objects entirely or if you want to fly above them set the waypoint heights way more than high enough above the highest terrain you will be flying over PLUS the highest object on that terrain, like +100 feet higher than you think.  So if your 75' taller-than-takeoff-point terrain had a 75' tall tree on it, I would be setting my waypoints at least 250' (75' terrain + 75' tree + 100' margin of error.)  Then upon successful mission completion I can review the video and set the waypoints lower if desired/possible.

Keep in mind that the Phantom will fly a vertically diagonal line between waypoints, so if the Phantom is 25' away and 50' above the ground from some 100' tall trees and the next waypoint is at 125' above those trees, your Phantom will probably hit the trees as it diagonally ascends to the waypoint above the trees.  

I design my missions with a good manual takeoff point in mind, in a clearing.  Wherever the Phantom takes off from is "home" and is 0 altitude.  I like to keep my first waypoint and next-to-last waypoints high and in the clear near my takeoff point, not above anything.  Then the last waypoint can descend more or less straight down to ~25' near your takeoff point. where you can manually land or hand-catch it.  I like to just descend into a stable hover ~5 feet high and hand-catch it with my right hand and use my left hand to cut the throttle for 3 seconds which cuts the engines off.  No worries about tipping over or the blades hitting anything that way.  So my waypoint heights on a 5-waypoint flight might be 200, 200, 200, 200 200, 200, 200, 25.  The first 200 waypoint is above where I am launching and gets me up to a sufficient height, it isn't really part of the mission.  The last 200 waypoint is also not part of the mission and brings me back above my launch point.  Then the 25 foot waypoint brings it back down to a hover where I can decide what to do next.

If something goes wrong during a Litchi waypoint mission and you hopefully still have good signal and GPS, remember you can move the mode switch on your controller to "P" and the Phantom will stop and hover.  Then you can increase altitude as needed and fly it home manually.

2016-2-18
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

dwoody0805 Posted at 2016-2-18 14:08
My biggest thing is hoping I can figure out how to set altitude while coursing in my waypoints. I' ...

Its very easy to do.  I concur with previous posts.  If you can figure out GO, Litchi will be a walk in the park.  Literally and figuratively
2016-2-18
Use props
dwoody0805
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-18 14:48
How to set altitude at all, or how high to set the altitude?  

The altitude it is the first paramet ...

Great info. Thank you for the help. I have one more question regarding litchi, can I keep the DJIGo app installed on my flight tablet while using litchi? Not have them both open of course but will they mess with each other in the background?
2016-2-18
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

You can certainly have both installed no problem, but no you can't run both at once.  But I often go into DJI GO just to double-check things like RTH height before exiting DJI GO completely (not just hitting the Home button, that doesn't exit the app) and running Litchi.

I find that sometimes one is stubborn and won't end, in that case I restart everything including the phone.  So copter off, controller off, disconnect cable, reboot phone.  Controller on, copter on, connect cable and you should be set.

Generally the best policy is to choose one app or the other for your flight.  
2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules